Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
What are the pro or cons in using a 3 groove barrel for a high velocity 6.5 diameter barrel. I have read some things suggesting a 3 groove barrel will tear up the thinner jacketed bullets like the Bergers or match type bullets? What say you? I will one day need to rebarrel my 264 win mag. I just want advice on how to evaluate my options. Thank you, john.

I had a Benchmark 3 groove that I chambered to a modified .264 Win Mag. It started keyholing 140gr VLDs at 200 Rnds.

The button was designed for a standard 1-2 land to groove ratio. This means the lands in this 3 groove were twice as wide as in a standard Benchmark 6 groove. I believe the wide lands were too much for the thin J4 jacket.

Ron sent a standard 6 groove and that barrel has been wonderful. I suspect more campfire member have shot that 6 groove .264 Win Mag than any other rifle.

[Linked Image]

This is a three shot group, at something over a mile, under silly bad conditions, with 1200 rounds down the barrel, and a dozen witnesses.

[Linked Image]

I have an extra 600 rnds down the bore and it is still shooting great. My bull from last year was just over 1000yds and I clipped a coyote this spring at 1000yds with the next shot.

[Linked Image]

I have never seen a 3 groover do better than a 5 or 6 so I would suggest more grooves. Guys shooting other bullets might not see the issues as soon but why deal with the shorter barrel life? Every barrel maker that does the 3 grooves also will build a more suitable 5 or 6 groove.

Originally Posted by CLB
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Berger's have never shown me schit...............

Maybe you need a new watch... smile

6 Groove CHECK

.264 Win Mag CHECK

140 VLD CHECK

Watch CHECK

Big Bull at 1100yds Double CHECK

[Linked Image]

If you are stumped by Bergers you might want to zip the lips and start taking notes.

Consider that a hint. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's a DIRTY Trick to do to a 25-06.

In fact,it's MEAN............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
115 vlds already in waiting.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's a great looking stock,who makes it?

Berger terminal affects,never showed me anything. How many back-up rifles/Guides on those "Hunts"? I mean just on the average.

Laughing!............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Horseman
115 vlds already in waiting.....

Your 243 giggles in anticipation...............

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shot a butt load of Berger vld's and Amax and 107 SMK through 3 groove Liljas...more than one. Nary an issue...more on order

same with a 3 groove pac nor. I like the barrel life

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Now that I think about it...I probably hve more than a few 3-groovers,by more than a few Makers and might even be hip on the notion.

None of which is "proprietary".

Laughing!..............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a great looking stock,who makes it?

Berger terminal affects,never showed me anything. How many back-up rifles/Guides on those "Hunts"? I mean just on the average.

Laughing!............

Hardly matters in this discussion but you running from talking rifles and starting to fling poo is not exactly surprising. Do what you know best.

To answer the question those are my mules carrying the bull, none of whom had ever seen dead critters or packed meat before I owned them, I spotted the bull and planned the stalk, I choose the unit, I packed the bull, I drove my truck towing my trailer to the trail head, I loaded my ammo and choose the exact bullet and powder.

[Linked Image]

Not very important in the overall scheme.

I have called you my pet monkey in the past and right now that is what you are. You, literally, fling poo like a stupid monkey.

I get that at times destruction, even self destruction, feels so right but then again you seem to, at times, see the futility of that path.

Get your schit together. cool

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I must have missed it? What was that stock again? Who's bandoleer on the stock,for the rifle that supposedly shoots so "well"?

Which barrel did you schlep to the dumbphuqqs stupid enough,to buy your phony phuqqing schit?

Enjoyed The Donkey Story.

Laughing!................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I must have missed it? What was that stock again? Who's bandoleer on the stock,for the rifle that supposedly shoots so "well"?

Which barrel did you schlep to the dumbphuqqs stupid enough,to buy your phony phuqqing schit?

Enjoyed The Donkey Story.

Laughing!................

Stick,
Now is your big opportunity to finally show-up John Burns with your pics of "book" sheep, caribou, moose and grizzly's. smile

Show him and the world you dont imagine pretend!!
You can do it. crazy

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
She's too busy trying to unphuqq all the folks she phuqqed.

Which ain't happening.

Hint....................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
She's too busy trying to unphuqq all the folks she phuqqed.

Which ain't happening.

Hint....................

Really?
Seems to me John Burns produced a product and sold it in the open market to people that thought it was worth the price. That's what America used to be about before the liberal progressive capitalism haters took over.

I am beginning to believe your reluctance to post pic's of your "book" ram's etc... means they don't exist?

So who is the lying pretender?

You are a pathetic excuse of a man, just shamefull!!

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You nailed it!

Laughing!.............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am John's pet monkey. I fling poo. That is what I doo.

Funny you should ask about the butt cuff.

I prefer the ones that are made in the USA. Seem to last quite a bit longer. I have been using them for quite a while. Started back in the day when I hunted with the 1B.

That would be the very first 6mm Mach IV. I did another for Ross S and it was kinda the center piece for a few G&A articles in the late 80s.
[Linked Image]

The butt cuff seemed kinda handy so I kept using them.

[Linked Image]

Those who borrowed my rifles were stuck with the butt cuff but seemed to do OK. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Spot and stalk lion. laugh I had been shooting rockchucks all afternoon and when I spotted the lion it was just grab and go.

[img]http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb428/GreybullPrecision/JohnMtLion.jpg[/img]

Get your schit together. You don't have to be the stupid monkey. cool

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
LOVE the fences! You REALLY get after it!! Laughing!

Again..who's stock? I mean,not that you billed it differently. Laughing!

Who's barrel? Not that you billed it differently. Laughing!

You lying Snake Oil Phuqqs are a hoot.

Fact is...I'm going to report your Lying/Cheating/Stealing to a Moderator.

Bless your heart..................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Funny you should run from all things related to rifles and fling your poo. It is what you doooooo.

Just to fuel your pooooo fling. laugh

Grizzly with the Butt Cuff.

[Linked Image]

You have one of those right?? I mean living in AK and over the counter tags and such.

Hang a pic. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your "Guide" should be punched in the phuqqing face,for letting a City Slicker kill that RAT. What did it "score"? Laughing!

That stock strikes me as different,which one is that? Better or worse?

Lotsa empties there in the bandoleer.

Laughing!.................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Funny you should run from all things related to rifles and fling your poo. It is what you doooooo.

Just to fuel your pooooo fling. laugh

Grizzly with the Butt Cuff.

[Linked Image]

You have one of those right?? I mean living in AK and over the counter tags and such.

Hang a pic. laugh

Smells like a delete!

"Your "Guide" should be punched in the phuqqing face,for letting a City Slicker kill that RAT. What did it "score"? Laughing!

That stock strikes me as different,which one is that? Better or worse?

Lotsa empties there in the bandoleer.

Laughing!................."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bless your heart.

[Linked Image]

Laughing!...................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am John's pet monkey. I fling my poo. That is what I doo

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What?? No pict of your grizzly. That is sure a surprise. How about your sheep???

[Linked Image]

Wow. That sure ain't a sheep.

Three posts in a row replying to yourself????

Again, GET YOUR SCHIT TOGETHER. Lots of people had a rough childhood.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16gage, 160user, 01Foreman400, 54 invisible), 2,766 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,128
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.