Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Already there...somewhere in rural Utah........

The Mormans aren't that bad....being retired I need no job..

You can always make a beer run to GJ CO...or Mesquite NV...

[Linked Image]

Deer Lake, Boulder Mtn?

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by centershot
I don't really have any place I'd rather be than right here in Twin Falls, Idaho. 300 days of sunshine each year, all 4 seasons, plenty of game within 100 miles.

300 days of sunshine and a thirty mph or better wind blowing on every one of them. That explains why the rock chucks are so thick in that area, darned wind blows so hard, it is impossible to hit a chuck over 100 yds away.

This part of the state is pretty nice. Its only an hour to Cabelas one way and a bit over an hour to my favorite elk hunting the other way. But Boise is encroaching on our elbow room.

Anyone know what the wind situation is around Grangeville? Visiting Grangeville is like stepping into a time machine and going back to what Ada/Canyon county looked like fifty years ago. If it was not so far from the grandkids, I could live in Grangeville pretty easily.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't recall the trees growing sideways in Grangeville like they do in Twin

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by yeselk
Thomson Falls Montana. Beautiful country and friendly people.

Came close to buying there then decided a bit further west to Idaho.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I am making a list of places to visit on our spring road trip. The top of the list is occupied by those spots that were said to be horrible. Deflave was right "loose lips sink ships". I would be a splendid neighbor.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
There are lots of neat places to live all over the west, but all the places I want to live tend to have a lack of decent paying jobs and few people.
That's the crux of it right there.

I graduated Utah State in 1978 with a degree in Forestry and couldn't find decent work for love nor money. Had to move back to S. Florida to find decent paying work and even then I had to re-train myself to be a computer programmer. I could have wandered around the Nevada desert counting jojobe plants for minimum wage but passed on that.

Took me 12 years to find a job in a small town back out West and when I did I took a 40% pay cut. Three jobs went out from under me in 12 years in Smalltown, ID - the companies either left for larger areas or were so tenuous in these small areas that a slight shift in the economy drove them under. I finally found work with a company in Boise that will be around for awhile. So even here I had to move to a city to find work, although as Leanwolf has noted Boise is a long way from the worst city I've ever lived in.

Population centers are where the wages are to support businesses - groceries, car dealers, stores, etc. etc. Not that there aren't jobs in sparsely populated places, but try to break into that job market where everyone knows everyone - why should they hire someone from 1000 or 2000 miles away when someone local can fill the position? It can be done, I did it but it took years.

Combine that with the fact that while Westerners are generally very friendly, they like folks who come and visit and then leave. They don't like seeing their West subdivided and overpopulated any more than anyone else. And the more folks come here the more folks already here don't want to see any more - especially if they want to turn "here" into what their home was "back there" - again, same as anywhere. I've lived here 24 years but in 1990 I was just another new guy from the East so I know I was just as much part of that problem as anybody nowadays.

Good luck to anyone who wants to move "out West". I'm serious, I truly wish you the best and hope you can live that dream. Just be aware that the population is growing everywhere and therefore "the West" is shrinking about as rapidly as everywhere else, and any place that isn't growing is remaining stagnant for a reason.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4ager
Wherever has the least Kalifornians, New Yorkers, Illinauseans, damnyankees, and Texicans.

With all due respect, that's one helluva an ignorant statement.

Good folks all over, piss poor arrogant mutherfuckers all over too.

Some of my fellow California buds have moved into Wyoming and Montana recently.

You probably wouldn't want to live next to grand slam slaying, wolf killing, hunting & fishing machines like them though.

Yes, their schitttt stinks.

Just curious what makes you so godddamnnn superior to them?

laugh

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Wherever has the least Kalifornians, New Yorkers, Illinauseans, damnyankees, and Texicans.

With all due respect, that's one helluva an ignorant statement.

Good folks all over, piss poor arrogant mutherfuckers all over too.

Some of my fellow California buds have moved into Wyoming and Montana recently.

You probably wouldn't want to live next to grand slam slaying, wolf killing, hunting & fishing machines like them though.

Yes, their schitttt stinks.

Just curious what makes you so godddamnnn superior to them?

laugh

Kalifornicators have a verified reputation of turning any place they move to en masse into a schit hole approaching that of Kalifornistan. Portland, OR; Seattle, WA; Boulder, CO; now even Bozeman, MT and Boise, ID.

When Kalifornicators invade, the good life, freedom, liberty, and the American way are in jeopardy.

Ditto that for New Yawkers, Joisey, and Illinauseans.

The truth and the facts are evident.

Your friends left the PRK, but did the PRK leave them? Will others bring it with them to f'k up yet another good place to be?

Your continued support of PRK agendas through your continued presence there (and this funding it through your tax dollars) says a good bit, too.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
No more earning to it, just existing! Maybe up around Eureka but far enough away from the city, or maybe one of the old mining camps along the western slopes of the Sierra's... someplace with very few damn people and where one neighbor don't give a [bleep] what the other is doing!

Phil

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

When Kalifornicators invade, the good life, freedom, liberty, and the American way are in jeopardy.

Ditto that for New Yawkers, Joisey, and Illinauseans.

The truth and the facts are evident.

Your friends left the PRK, but did the PRK leave them? Will others bring it with them to f'k up yet another good place to be?

Your continued support of PRK agendas through your continued presence there (and this funding it through your tax dollars) says a good bit, too.

OK.

Howabout you and me show the rest of the 'Fire our lives in pictures and let them decide who lives the better life, and who they'd rather have as a neighbor.
You up for that?

Proud NRA Life Member
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Moab

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, you saved me a ton of work by not responding....

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Thanks, you saved me a ton of work by not responding....

Well I know you would be welcome in the Cody Area. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Havre Montana has a hot gay scene.

I heard the same thing about Bozeman.
PM Brad,he knows all about it.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Big Sur

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by RobJordan
Assuming you could earn a good living, where in the western USA would you want to live (excluding Alaska and Hawaii)? Name the town, valley or mountain peak and give a reason or two for your choice. wink

Thanks,

Jordan

Right where I am, Montana. Moved here in 81 and am still here.

What do you do Derb? For a living. I mean.

Last edited by RobJordan; 09/04/14.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Big Sur

Nice, but high rent.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I like Boise, Idaho. It is a medium size city with many amenities my wife and I enjoy, plus an airport with major carriers, good hospitals, etc. It is in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains and I can drive and be in the high country in about 45 minutes.

Good hunting, fishing, outdoor activities, and very few restrictions on the Second Amendment.

I think we'll stick around. wink

L.W.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^ LW is a good guy to have breakfast with. Has some great life experiences. It was hard to leave Alaska (was just there last week) but I believe I'll mostly be staying here. Plenty of places around here to live if you don't want to live in a city.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd like a cabin at Beartooth Pass...Then close the road laugh

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alpine or Marfa.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1minute, 1234, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,780
Posts18,495,903
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.