Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
just wondering what's out there. Don't mind paying for quality.
TIA

GB1

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
I cut heavy duty muslin to size and have a local boot shop sew them. I have seen way to many use cheap bags and the problems are endless. I have been using the same bags for elk, moose, etc going on 25 years. Just soak, wash, and hang to dry.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There was a topic similar to this a few months ago and everything from mickey mouse pillow cases to Wal-Mart brand to high end stuff is in use out there. I've used Cabela's, WalMart, on-line various brands and all have worked fine. We hang them in trees over night more often than not and never had an issue. Naturally the better the quality the longer you can wash and re-use them. As long as they allow the meat to cool and and don't break open I think they have done their job.

I've been vacuum sealing mine down to the smallest size to fit easily into my pack. That works really well but not as well as the shrunken down vest in the vacuum sealer.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've used Alaska Game bags for deer but, a couple of years ago I got a set of TAG Game Bags from Pristine Ventures for a CO elk hunt. They cost a bit more but, they pack small and are a bit lighter than comparable Alaska bags. They are well made, sturdy game bags.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
TAG Bags. Have used the same set for the past few years and they get used a fair bit. Probably about ready to replace them but they have been the best I have found.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I typically hit the thrift shops and buy used pillow cases for about $0.50 each. One time use, then pitchem, repeat next yr.

Good Luck,

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I grab whatever is handy.

TAG Game Bags work OK. They are expensive but they can be washed and re-used and since they are nylon, they dry quickly. These work well if you have to store the meat for a few days and clean & dry the meat repeatedly. Make sure that your butcher doesn't cut them open.
TAG Game Bags

Cotton game bags work OK also but they are single-use bags. These are the lightest weight and pretty cheap.
Game Bags

I have learned to avoid the flimsy cheese cloth bags, because they tear easily and don't protect the meat from dirt, leaves. etc., as well as I would like.

Or I just use old pillow cases. You can buy them at GoodWill for pennies but they are heavier than the cheap game bags.

I've used all of them at one time or another and each has its' advantages and disadvantages.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I use bed sheets bought a Goodwill that my wife sews into bags. I have probably used them ten years with an elk in them every year except last. Make sure the material isn't thread worn. After use, soak in bleach solution, wash and dry, fold for next year

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Another vote for bed sheets and pillow cases.

IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've used the TAG bags the last two years and really like them. Except both years I forgot to get them form the processor. Kind of expensive for one use bags. Taking Alaska Game Bags this year.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
What is all of this silly talk about butchers and processors? You boys are nuts.

I used Alaska bags for years with no trouble. Going to Alaska last year and using Caribou bags on Caribou has converted me. Synthetic bags are the ticket. My current set has three animals under them and still gong strong. I'll never use cotton again.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've used several different brands and like always, the cheap products suck ass. I have been less than impressed with the Alaska game bags too. The Hunters Game bags have worked well for me.
[Linked Image]
Buy quality canvas or synthetic.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TAG bags are what I bought about 5-6 years ago and they are still going strong. They are great for packing out elk or deer quarters, or I also use them to cover an entire whitetail once skinned while hunting in Oklahoma every fall.

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Allan Outfitter grade bags are the best I've used if weight isn't a problem. Stretchy but tight enough weave to keep flys/bees off. Their new back country bags suck. Same weight as the outfitter grade and don't breath at all. Just bought caribou bags and 5 of them weight half what the Allan's do (1#). They don't breath worth crap either though, none of the synthetics do.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
one more vote for pillowcases, although, mine have only been used once. I hope to use them again in a month. smile

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Amazon has knock-off Caribou / TAG bags if want to save a few bucks.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by claybreaker
I typically hit the thrift shops and buy used pillow cases for about $0.50 each. One time use, then pitchem, repeat next yr.

Good Luck,

This.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I picked up a couple army surplus laundry bags from a surplus store. They have a heavy duty draw string at the top and look to be the perfect size. I only paid about $1.50 each for them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,251
Posts18,486,261
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.