-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hands on is a powerful means of quantifying nuance...

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
Why should I ? I trust Mule Deer to do fair and unbiased testing. I'd rather pay him and people like him for their experiences so I can make good choices in my equipment. E

E,

So if that's the case, why wouldn't you trust Frank's assessment?

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by teal
Or you could buy one yourself and give it a go.

That would make waaaaay too much sense.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Two reasons why I would not trust Frank's assessment. First of all, he made the comment about the failed Leupold and said that was usual. Why ? What's that got to do with testing a new scope or scopes ?
However, if he wants to test one model by one manufacturer against another, he needs to do level playing field testing. He didn't.
For the record, lots of other shooters here have bought and run the SWFA SS Scopes. Most of them appear to use the fixed magnification scopes. Therefore I'll buy the that they are a good scope and a real deal price wise.
But that doesn't necessarly apply to the variables unless they have been tested under like conditions against other well known scopes like the same level Leupolds.
I am aware of no such testing. What I have seen are comments like Frank's about Leupolds in general. Or FormD's comments that he has "broken" several VX-R Patrols. Such comments are not similar to the experiences of others that I've known. It has gone so far as some in the tactical crowd saying in any given match, they see "30-40% of the Leupold fail (models and histories not mentioned) vs. almost nothing in the way of Nightforce or S&B. Who make nothing but high end scopes BTW. Funny the people I know personally, some of whom shoot tactical competition, haven't noticed that about high end Leupolds vs. other high end brands
So I'm suspicious of tests by such people as Frank and FormD. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As a hunter/shooter do I have to just pick one: reliable or bright. How does the Nightforce stack up optically? If forced to pick I know which one it would be...

I purchased a Nightforce 12-42X56. On another occasion I had the pleasure to compare a Nighforce 5 1/2-22X56 with some of my scopes. The two Nightforces are in a league above my Swarovski z5 5-25X52 for normal day and low light. The reliability of Nightforces is legendary.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Two reasons why I would not trust Frank's assessment. First of all, he made the comment about the failed Leupold and said that was usual. Why ? What's that got to do with testing a new scope or scopes ?
However, if he wants to test one model by one manufacturer against another, he needs to do level playing field testing. He didn't.
For the record, lots of other shooters here have bought and run the SWFA SS Scopes. Most of them appear to use the fixed magnification scopes. Therefore I'll buy the that they are a good scope and a real deal price wise.
But that doesn't necessarly apply to the variables unless they have been tested under like conditions against other well known scopes like the same level Leupolds.
I am aware of no such testing. What I have seen are comments like Frank's about Leupolds in general. Or FormD's comments that he has "broken" several VX-R Patrols. Such comments are not similar to the experiences of others that I've known. It has gone so far as some in the tactical crowd saying in any given match, they see "30-40% of the Leupold fail (models and histories not mentioned) vs. almost nothing in the way of Nightforce or S&B. Who make nothing but high end scopes BTW. Funny the people I know personally, some of whom shoot tactical competition, haven't noticed that about high end Leupolds vs. other high end brands

Ah. In other words, if people who have vast experience formulate opinions that differ from yours, their conclusions are not valid.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I know these real life tests are terribly upsetting to you so perhaps you should ignore them. Granted Form and his ilk subject scopes to demands far greater then you would in 10 lifetimes, however the SWFA SS scopes are being tested against scopes intended for the same use and abuse. Actually, they seem to fail miserably.

When do you reckon the Military contracts are gonna start rolling in for SWFA. shocked shocked laugh

To say anything in that post is a "test" would be stretching, and not by a little.

Good to see the Leupold Derangement Syndrome. Carry on, fellas. laugh laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gasman

Ah. In other words, if people who have vast experience formulate opinions that differ from yours, their conclusions are not valid.

Yep.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rifles And More
Between this and the other SWFA thread what I'm hearing is that the SWFA is bombproof, but too dim to hunt early morning or evening?

20x classic is dim. Not the same as the 6x.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Wow.

IC B3

RDFinn Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Why should I ? I trust Mule Deer to do fair and unbiased testing. I'd rather pay him and people like him for their experiences so I can make good choices in my equipment. E

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Ohremicus,

Sorry, but apparently I have to post something like this now and then, because you're still wandering around in the mists of the 1990's, and continue to put words in my mouth.

I've tested the SWFA scopes thoroughly, and am a fan--and not because Chris Farris sent me any. Instead I bought them. The ONLY Leupold I've found to track as well after a lot of shooting is the 10x40 Mark 4 I've had for several years and shot a bunch on several rifles. But for a reasonably-priced, tough, accurate-tracking scope the SWFA's are leading the pack.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Originally Posted by Gasman

Yep.

We have a winner!!!

E has to justify his purchase!!!

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ohremicus,

Few things in hunting equipment have changed as much as rifle scopes over the past 15-20 years. I still use a lot of Leupolds, mostly fixed-powers and in particular fixed 6's. But ALL brands of scopes have changed considerably since the 1990's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Wow.

He was referring to a thread about 16x and 20x scopes. Of course they are dim and not representative of the 6x or 10x.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Yes, Mule Deer, I do understand that. My comments about the Zeiss Conquests refers to them in the 90's when they were hyped a much better than similar Leupolds. As you have pointed out, they haven't been like that for some time.
I just mailed off a check so I can recieve Rifle Loony News and I'm looking forward to your next book on hunting optics. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You weren't refering to the conquests of the 90's.

Give us a freeking break.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It's never been tough to cypher who shoots and who doesn't.

Imagination and Pretend,are all that some folks have.

Hint.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Now y'all done it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ohremicus,

Thanks. Publication of the new book is scheduled for November.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
New book on optics? Title?

IIRC... from some of your magazine articles scopes are getting way better in recent years????????????

Where is the light weight hold-zero-and-track, 300 $ scope?

You would think these scope makers would get a clue and make things more rugged.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,806 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,611
Posts18,473,867
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.