Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FO,

I've dabbled a little bit with the fixed Super Chickens. Had a 20x, and now own a 6x and 10x both with MQ. Round counts are low on the 6x and 10x though. Recently sold a 3-15x42 to a bud at work.

The 3-15x doesn't tunnel, but the eye relief changes. Overall a nice scope BUT that SF is not something that makes me warm and fuzzy for anything other than a plinker. Its not like a turret cap... the guts of the scope are beneath that cap. I'm not saying that SS is any worse than another brand, but I'd rather have the rear-focus.

That said, when it was time to buy a variable I was directed towards the 3-15x over the 3-9x. Even so I plan to try a 3-9x sooner or later.

Jason

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Generally, the discussions regarding the SWFA SS riflescopes revolve around the fixed 6x & 10x. I'm familiar with the fixed 10x as I've a couple on hand.

What about the variables? Specifically the 3-9x42mm and 3-15x42mm and their eye relief and eye box. How easy are they to get behind throughout their magnification range? Any case of tunnel vision (blackouts around the edges)?

Typically, fixed scopes are more robust than their variable counterparts. Any issues with the variables holding up and keeping POA/POI, or are they just as hella stout as the fixed Super Chickens?

I've had a 3-9 for some time now, and it's first rate stuff. I prefer it over the fixed power SWFAs. Jury is still out on the 3-15, as I've only had one for a couple months, but I like it so far.

I STRONGLY prefer the Mil-Dot to the Mil-Quad.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Paradiddle
I'm torn between a 6x42 Leupy with LRD or the SWFA. I have an older M8 6x42 that I love and have owned nothing but Leupold. Might have to give SWFA a try for my upcoming hunt.

I'm not a long range shooter or even one who would twist dials (I think).

Leupold fixed power all the way for a hunting gun.

The SWFA scopes, while great for dialing, are simply too bulky for a lightweight hunting rifle and make it really top heavy and awkward. The 3-9 isn't too bad for bulk, but I'm not real happy with the eye relief for a hard kicker and/or rifle which may be shot from really cramped or awkward positions such as are a part of life in hunting.

I'm strictly a fixed power/dot guy for hunting. Just too much stuff can go wrong with exposed turrets.....even those that stay lined in can get moved by brush or when pulled from a scabbard.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Why? Just asking, not arguing... smile

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Can you tell me what you prefer in the Mil-Dot and also is this preference for hunting or just shooting or both. Thank you

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just used a 6x milquad to make a quick offhand shot at a bear at 75 yards. I have three of the milquads and had a mildot as well. I prefer the milquads and mil adjustments. Have 2 of the 6x and one 3-9. Will buy another 6x and these are all used on big game rifles. For brush work, a standard Leupold duplex is hard to beat in my opinion but the milquad does a lot of things well too.

Best buy for the price point on the 6x.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Gasman

Originally Posted by BurninDupont

Can you tell me what you prefer in the Mil-Dot and also is this preference for hunting or just shooting or both. Thank you

The Mil-Quad is too fine and "busy" for my eyes.

I could probably get by with it for the range, but for field use (my SWFAs are used for varmints, steel, and targets of opportunity) in variable conditions and lighting, I prefer a bit heavier reticle.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, I will. We're hoping to have copies by November, and will be announcing it then, both here and on some others sites.

I turn wrenches by trade. The insides of things that turn via 60cycle power; is my bread and butter since the canoe club engine room days of my misguided blue collar youth.

I simply cannot envision what goes on inside scopes. I hope your book will have some cut-away pictures.

I am too frugal to cut open what few I own...

Not even a tasco "world-class" ! HA

This thread has been one of the more useful that I have read on these forums. Confirmed some of my suspicions.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Gasman

Originally Posted by BurninDupont

The Mil-Quad is too fine and "busy" for my eyes.

I could probably get by with it for the range, but for field use (my SWFAs are used for varmints, steel, and targets of opportunity) in variable conditions and lighting, I prefer a bit heavier reticle.

The mil-dot on the 6x aint too far off from a good duplex reticle.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I haven't used the 6x SWFA, so can't comment there. I personally don't have a use for one, as I don't want turrets or bulky scopes strapped to my hunting rifles, and I like a little more magnification on my fun guns.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Robert White,

Yeah, the book has cut-away pictures of scopes and explains what's going on inside 'em.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
She tracks and holds zero like a Rolex holds time.....maybe better *grin*

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That looks very bulky and difficult to carry.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was concerned they may not balance too well on lighter rifles, but with the weight right between the hands it works well. I am paying about a 10 ounce premium to carry them and it is worth every ounce to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Super Squirrel....

[Linked Image]

Pretty fun at 330 yards too, even with chit Remmie 36's
[Linked Image]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have the 10X Super Sniper, and it is UBER. The first one I had, had some pretty schitty glass in it. But this more newer version is plenty good and it tracks beautifully.

Carl Ross or Rutledge let me use their 3-9 version at the Icebreaker a couple springs back, and it was UBER as well. Tracked perfectly and the glass was substantially more clearer'er than my fixed power versions.

I want to try a couple 6X's next.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Got a 6x on order, have a 16x for load development and yet I think I need a 10x and/or 12x too.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 16bore
Super Squirrel....

[Linked Image]

Pretty fun at 330 yards too, even with chit Remmie 36's
[Linked Image]

Copy Stick much?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Looking forward to your new book.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Copy Stick much?

Eh, Stick ain't got a SS 25MOA railed 10/22 and it's called "photoshop". Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out......

Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (44mc, 1100mag, 10Glocks, 35, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,256
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.