-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
nothing wrong with welding. Im an electrician that works mostly in nuke plants, and oil refineries, I have Structural welding certs for both, Im making almost 44.00/hr on the check straight time, and they pay me almost 17hr towards my annuity plus i get over time and double time on it. Having those kinda certs no one messes with you, i've found out if you tell them to get your money you get your way :-D. Bottom line is There is a lack of welders out there, especially in nuclear. And there is 100K+ a year waiting for him if he wants it.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Welders are royalty in the Bakken. Just sayin. I always love seein kids blossom.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Contrary to popular belief the boy can make more money as a welder than getting an education. If he works hard and is any good. Won't happin right away as you have to get connections.. I have been in welding since 1982. When I graduated high school. Had a few years of late that I made over200 k I am a GF now.
There is coming a huge shortage of welders. It has started already. Our generation has don well enough to send ou kids to collage and the educated market is flooded and the trades are desperate...
Must be willing to chase down the work tho. Not an easy life at times but I wouldn't trade it for desk job at any price. I have got to work from the gulf coast to Prudohe bay...and just about everywhere I between...
Ill have a look at him when he is ready to go to work....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Contrary to popular belief the boy can make more money as a welder than getting an education. If he works hard and is any good. Won't happin right away as you have to get connections.. I have been in welding since 1982. When I graduated high school. Had a few years of late that I made over200 k I am a GF now.
There is coming a huge shortage of welders. It has started already. Our generation has don well enough to send ou kids to collage and the educated market is flooded and the trades are desperate...
Must be willing to chase down the work tho. Not an easy life at times but I wouldn't trade it for desk job at any price. I have got to work from the gulf coast to Prudohe bay...and just about everywhere I between...
Ill have a look at him when he is ready to go to work....

wish i had learned it......could be sitting alot better given my present situation frown

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Congratulation,sounds like you've done a good job with him. Of the guys that I grew up with, none of them that took up welding and stayed with it has failed to not only make a fine career of it, but 3 or 4 of them have done EXCEPTIONALLY well. Started what is basically a one man company doing specialty jobs all over. One only does nuclear plant shutdowns and earns enough to hunt all over the world the rest of the time. Good Luck.
John

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by seal_billy
After one fiasco after another with my oldest boy he is starting to get out of that teen braindead stage. He hasn't even been in one fight this year. His grades are improving and he is taking welding. I really didn't want him to be like me and have a blue collar job. I wanted him to study and have a job making a better living than I do. He is just like me though, I wasn't great at book work but could do anything with my hands.

Last year was his first year welding and he went to competition at the state fair and was runner up for the whole shebang. 2nd in the state! I'm still trying to encourage him to take cad and geometry and so he will be more rounded in his field, not to just be a mule but could run the show. Two more years of school and he's done. I can't believe he is that old now, it seems like yesterday he was following me around in the woods with his bb gun shooting pine cones. I am very proud of him, he is starting to resemble a man.

Good welder can make more money than 50% of college grads.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Hey dumbass...there are half as many welders in this country as there was 30 years ago. A good one writes his own ticket.

Congratulations! laugh

I agree. I'm blue collar even though I spend a good part of my day at a desk. Can't imagine being an office rat with nothing to show for my day but a bunch of paper moved from one box to another.

I'll take the hands-on stuff.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I reread my origanal post. I said I didn't want him to be like me (blue collar). I didn't mean I wanted him to be a paper pusher I just meant I didn't want him workin for the man and not getting the fullness of his trade. I'm an electrician and I do fine but if I had done things a little different I wouldn't have spent as many days on a damn ladder and my back and knees wouldn't be shot to hell right now.

I want him to do both the skill side and the book side so he can do it how he wants to and not be stuck doing like he has to. I started as a green helper and worked my way up, never been to school. I know enuff to get by with the book side but I put a job in better than most anyone. The book guy makes more money than the guy that actually can make it happen. Thats the gist of what I was trying to say.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I am very happy for both you and your son. For years I have championed (fruitlessly) for different tracks for students to follow in school; ones that will help them advance toward the type of work they desire/are suited for.

I do have to ask for an explanation of the thread title, as I don't understand what "getting now" is. I am old and much of what is current in terms of language flies far above my head. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
It a typo. I do this on my phone and some times when I space of for no other reason than this phone is evil words are left out or two words are cut in half abd strung back together like bacgether... I don't know why it does that but I should really preview before I post.

It should have read, My boy is getting it now. like he's finally getting it, got his head out of his azz.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, again I am very happy for you both. Please pass my support on to your son. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Welding is a great career. You get out of it what you put in. Sky is the limit on earnings. I work as a rig welder in the Gulf. Can't beat 2wks off a month.
Others chase pipe around the country. Others travel the world making repairs.

I believe the trades have been given a raw deal in schools. But when it comes down to it a good hand can name his price when equipment is down, etc.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
An intelligent person in the trades can make a large amount of money. Welders, diesel mechanics, etc. Just be really good at what you do, and you'll be busier than you want.

It's funny, in my neck of the woods a hard working fisherman can make more than someone who went to school and racked up obscene amounts of debt to be a doctor.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
youngest came home like this 3 days ago
[Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
yup same in the oilfield.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Glad to hear your young man is stepping up and working things out.

He's coming on-line at the right time to fill a need and make good money, we're having a terrible time finding welder/fabricators.
Lots of warm bodies can weld part A to part B but men that can take a few steps more, measure, draw, build, install.
I feel like the last of a dying breed, time to ask for another raise!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 219DW, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 49 invisible), 9,918 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,353
Posts18,546,672
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.