Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
MA, Thanks for the link and input.

BobinNH, thank you for the kind words. I am curious as to the builder, butif I never know for sure I will still appreciate and be proud of my rifle.

I have several different weights and styles of bullets coming, it will be interesting to see what bullet this rifle prefers. Or even if a rifle barrel this complicated/complex can be also accurate.

Last time around, the one load with 120gr TTSX's shot into just about 1.5 inches. Really OK for deer hunting, but it will be fun to see if the old gal can do a little bit better. I dare not screw around with the perfect bedding job the original builder did, though to do so is tempting!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
BEAUTIFUL rifle! GLAD it's home to.

No distinguishing marks on it anywhere as a clue to who may have built it?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EZEARL
BEAUTIFUL rifle! GLAD it's home to.

No distinguishing marks on it anywhere as a clue to who may have built it?

Thank you! I am glad it is 'home' as well. No distinguishing marks other than the particulars of the build.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Great news Safariman,now all you need to do is go kill a deer or an elk with it. smile

Actually, I took a pretty nice Mule Deer buck with that rifle while I had it the first time. I only had the rifle long enough to work up one load and hunt with it the one deer season but the 120gr TTSX loading was a decent one in this rifle.

I will likely never use this particular rifle for anything other than deer or Antelope, even though it is certainly more than capable on larger game. For game the size of Elk and Bear etc I have my 340 and 35 Whelen. More to the point, I am barely able to deer hunt right now and that only because of the open country and flat terrain here plus my legal to hunt from a quad or truck status. That could, and should, change post Kidney transplant. I am looking forward to that day and hunting Elk and other game again very much. Who knows, I may get a wild hair someday and pick this one out of the rack for an elk hunt just because I enjoy the rifle and carrying it about so much. One just never knows. Now that I have cartridge cases stamped "7mm Mashburn Super" to match the barrel engraving, this might be the number one rifle of a two rifle battery to Africa as well, someday.
That rifle with a Kudu or Sable...be still my beating heart. cool

Not that a huge or small grin Mule deer wouldn't do the same thing. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I see he didn't mention that I sanded the stock down smooth, painted it black and had the metal parkerized...:)

IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Beautiful rifle Mark; a real keeper for sure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great you got it back.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Wow Mark I bet that was painful to let go when you sold it.. Bet you are glad to have it back.
Imagine the cost of doing that rifle today....I always wanted an octagon barrel bolt gun.
Very nice.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Wow Mark I bet that was painful to let go when you sold it.. Bet you are glad to have it back.
Imagine the cost of doing that rifle today....I always wanted an octagon barrel bolt gun.
Very nice.

Yes and yes on all accounts! And as to the cost to have that done now? I am guessing into the thousands due to the man-hours required, but you would know better than I.

Just for fun, do you have an idea of the time involved and cost for similar?

Thanks for the kind words, I am proud of this one, but I also will be hunting with it this fall. Rifles are for shooting animals with!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I think bufaf did a great deed for a friend here. Good on you bufaf!

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,252 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,392
Posts18,488,767
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.