-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OBDII diagnostics have saved me a ton of garage fees over the years. Whenever I get a CEL I read it with a code reader and hit the internet. There is almost always a trend to be found and diagnostics to pinpoint the problem.
I like to do my own wrenching so that helps also.

I don't eat anything that didn't have a mother.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I take my check engine light seriously...

every time I have had one come on, I check under the hood....

yup the engine is still there...wonder why the manufacturer wanted me to check if it was still there???

the other one I don't get, is when a dash light comes on and tells ya the door is ajar.... a door isn't a JAR... its a damned DOOR....

No wonder they call these things idiot lights... whistle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
Originally Posted by 16bore
The one in my Taco has been on for 7 years.....

Me too -- $120,000+ miles of check engine light...

About 5 years now on my 2000 Silverado. Last I heard at a $90 diagnostic cost was, it is an emission part for $800 that you don't really need... In Virginia, the light being on is not a "fail" on the inspection.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I'm in the middle on this.

I'll have the parts store read the code, then I'll hit Google to see how often the code points to a specific part, how hard that part is to replace, and how often that's really the problem. If it looks like a good chance that I'd be blindly throwing parts at it, I'll take it to the mechanic.

Sometimes I get lucky. The kid's Taurus threw a 0153, & we had it read as a bad 02 sensor. We checked all the wires leading to the 02 sensors for fraying, & that their connectors were solidly in place. We also checked the air filter, & the fit of the lid on the air box. I wiggled all the vacuum hoses I could find, then we pulled the battery cable for 10 minutes, & crossed our fingers. 2 months a few hundred miles later, we're still in good shape.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My cel came on the first time I filled up when I bought my used '99 Chevy. A mechanic friend read it and told me it was a bad Evap cannister. No big deal. He reset the light and told me not to fill it all the way up (until the pump clicks) anymore.

A few years later a crankshaft sensor went bad. I didn't get involved in changing it, but from what I understand it wasn't much fun.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Back when i owned a dodge pu.i bought a scanner to find out what was the matter.

Having sold the truck i leave it at my bud's auto parts store,so he can use it on folks stuff when they come in.
Don't recall how much it cost but it has made him a lot of money.

did the code come back and say " you bought a Dodge"

sorry...could help it....

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I've got a fairly cheap reader, ScanGuageII ($150 or so) and it has pointed me in the right direction many times on GM, Honda, and Ford vehicles.

If you have a smartphone, you can get one of those OBD2/Bluetooth dongles for not very much (less than $8.00 here), download a free app called Torque, and have something close to the kind of engine monitor available for airplanes. (You don't get cylinder-by-cylinder temps, but you'd be amazed at what you can get in real time from that dongle.)

Of course you can see why your light's on and turn it off if you want, but that's only the very beginning.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by walt501
Originally Posted by fish head
Originally Posted by safariman

Not "borderline" at all. It is a royal scam. And the car manufacturerers keep making it more and more expensive and difficult for noon dealer machanics - let alone do it yourselfers- to diagnose or repair anything.

That's absolutely false.

Diagnostic codes make it far easier for a DIYer or a mechanic to diagnose and repair problems. It takes the guess work out.

If you pull the code(s) and do some internet research a competent DIY mechanic can accomplish repairs without resorting to taking it to a shop.

Fish head is right, a code scanner makes diagnosing and/or fixing a modern vehicle so much easier for the home mechanic. At the very least, they will help you know what the problem is BEFORE you head to the dealer. If you have and Android phone, you can buy an application called Torque Pro. Then all you need is a Bluetooth reader from Amazon that plugs into your OBDII port and you're set to read your engine codes as well monitor how your engine and transmission is operating while parked or driving. There are similar programs available iPhones. Total cost for the program and the reader is around $40.

And it's not auto manufactures that have pushed this new auto technology. Government fuel economy and emission rules have driven auto manufacturers to squeeze every drop of fuel economy from engines while making them cleaner than ever. OBDII is your friend, read the codes then check the internet for what is wrong. Often you'll find detailed instructions on internet forums on how to repair the problem yourself.

Holy Jesus I actually agree with Walt for once!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
after recommendations here I bought the android dongle on Amazon - I have a USB code reader that hooks up to a laptop. The database in the laptop software gives you more detail and basically saves the extra step of having to google what the code means but the dongle/droid combination is much easier than that.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Barak
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I've got a fairly cheap reader, ScanGuageII ($150 or so) and it has pointed me in the right direction many times on GM, Honda, and Ford vehicles.

If you have a smartphone, you can get one of those OBD2/Bluetooth dongles for not very much (less than $8.00 here), download a free app called Torque, and have something close to the kind of engine monitor available for airplanes. (You don't get cylinder-by-cylinder temps, but you'd be amazed at what you can get in real time from that dongle.)

Of course you can see why your light's on and turn it off if you want, but that's only the very beginning.

I just ordered one based on your say-so. I have a smart phone that I'm too dumb to use but maybe I can learn. I'm willing to give it a try just to be able to know what's happening. Thanks.

'Nother question: how do I download the file 'Torque'? I told you I was dumb on all this. blush

Last edited by MColeman; 09/17/14.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
on your droid phone you should have a "play store" or google apps icon

open that up and search for torque

and then choose to install it on your phone. There is a free version and a pay version for $4.95

Last edited by KFWA; 09/17/14.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KFWA
on your droid phone you should have a "play store" or google apps icon

open that up and search for torque

and then choose to install it on your phone. There is a free version and a pay version for $4.95

Thanks. I have a Verizon Galaxy 5 so I'm assuming I have all that on it. I'll give it a try.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang light came on yesterday afternoon on way to the toy store. Kinda put a crimp on my plans, least in the back of my mind. First step is to put the OBD reader on it and see what the deal is. To me, that's it's main value - is this a big problem, or a little problem and can limp on a while.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
yep - just click on the the apps icon in the lower right corner of your screen, then keep swiping the apps screen to get to the ones (assuming yours are in alphabetical order) to the "p"'s. Look for Play Store app, and from there its pretty self intuitive to search for torque and install it.

Last edited by KFWA; 09/17/14.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
GOT IT! Many thanks. smile (Does this make me a nerd, now?)

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MColeman

Isn't it against the law there??? wink

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by MColeman

Isn't it against the law there??? wink

I live in the country so I only have to deal with the high sheriff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

And it's not auto manufactures that have pushed this new auto technology. Government fuel economy and emission rules have driven auto manufacturers to squeeze every drop of fuel economy from engines while making them cleaner than ever.

You are exactly right. Govt demands lower emissions & higher fuel economy - two opposing forces.

Actually the automotive computer system was quite the innovation by the auto manufacturers. Great innovation.

-Ken

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
we should probably thank Honda for American cars engines lasting more than 100K miles

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by CaptEdIII

And it's not auto manufactures that have pushed this new auto technology. Government fuel economy and emission rules have driven auto manufacturers to squeeze every drop of fuel economy from engines while making them cleaner than ever.

Actually the automotive computer system was quite the innovation by the auto manufacturers. Great innovation.

-Ken

It wasn't so great when they tried to use carbs & computers...that was an epic cluster....

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (06hunter59, 160user, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,405 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,098
Posts18,483,058
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.