-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The old Ford/Chevy moron debate again. If you can't own a glock, it's cause you really aren't sharp enough. I own both by the way.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A Marathon County sheriff's captain is recovering after accidentally shooting himself in the hand at a police shooting range.

Sheriff's department officials say Capt. Greg Bean was cleaning his handgun when the accident happened Tuesday in the Town of Mosinee.

I really wish they'd be honest about these negligent shootings. He didn't do this cleaning his gun at the range. The Glock trigger is to difficult to manipulate with your finger to not know you are pulling the trigger.

Since he shot himself in the hand here's my thoughts. He got the draw and grip out of sequence and had his finger on the trigger before he established a two hand grip on the firearm. As he drew the gun his finger went to the trigger and then he moved his support hand toward the firing hand. Unfortunately he was pulling the trigger as he covered his support hand with the muzzle.

Since the gun obviously had to be out of the holster to be "cleaning" it, he would have had to manipulate the trigger with his finger. Just how much cleaning of a gun can one do with the action closed? Wipe it down a little? And where was the range officer who allowed that kind of gun handling on the range? No one cleans a gun on my range. If a gun fails to function due to being dirty, then it is made safe, i.e. empty and open, and the range master will attend to putting it back in service. When I run a qualification any hot weapon is either holstered or on the line qualifying. If it's out of the holster for any other reason it is empty and open or you don't qual.

Sorry for the rant. They are most likely giving this guy a pass on his bogus story because of his rank. I'm not buying it.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rovering
[Linked Image]

It's a world wide dumbest cop contest.

Note, that the one in the OP was enough smarter than the general population of cops to have been promoted to Captain.

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Even among people who are careful, the guns can go off upon being holstered, like say a cord from a jacket happens to get in the trigger guard while the gun's being holstered.

I was right next to a cop--sorry, a police firearms instructor--who was showing off his quick-draw capability when he shoved his 40S&W Glock back into his holster with his finger on the trigger. Screw foreign objects, he forgot to take his finger off the trigger, and he blew a furrow in his leg and a crater in the concrete floor. On top of which, his quick draw wasn't really all that quick, and he couldn't hit the side of a barn after the draw anyway.

I don't shoot with him anymore.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Hug, you can own "my" Glock. I'll take a real safety any day. Sig, FN, Ruger make far safer striker fired pistols than any Glock.

So how would a safety make a difference in this situation?
He pulled the trigger on a loaded gun while his hand was in front of the muzzle.

Here's a hint (It's NOT the gun's fault)

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Barak
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Even among people who are careful, the guns can go off upon being holstered, like say a cord from a jacket happens to get in the trigger guard while the gun's being holstered.

I was right next to a cop--sorry, a police firearms instructor--who was showing off his quick-draw capability when he shoved his 40S&W Glock back into his holster with his finger on the trigger. Screw foreign objects, he forgot to take his finger off the trigger, and he blew a furrow in his leg and a crater in the concrete floor. On top of which, his quick draw wasn't really all that quick, and he couldn't hit the side of a barn after the draw anyway.

I don't shoot with him anymore.

I went to Gander's indoor range and shared a booth with a friend? He's an ex cop and now small jet first Off. Dumpsheet wanted to practice quick draw and both times got screamed at by the RO to stop. Needless to say I don't go shootin with this turd. He calls and wants to go shootin couple times a year. Funny how I'm always busy.

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Cleaning a loaded gun? Could this be the cause?

This is my thought.
What heck is the dude cleaning a loaded gun for. Stupid.
People can't deal with fault, so it's the guns fault.
He should be glad he didn't shoot someone.
Hurt is pride and his hand some.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ask Plaxico Burris what he thinks about Glocks.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've seen more ND's with guns with Safeties than without.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
So, he was cleaning it with a round in the chamber?

And glocks have that great safety feature where you pull the trigger while removing the slide.... crazy

Yep.

I like Glocks but that feature is an absolutely piss-poor piece of human engineering. It plants in the subconscious the concept of routinely pulling the trigger without consequences.

Since most Cops ain't recreational shooters they may end up pulling the trigger to disassemble and clean it more than they do to actually shoot it.

Ya I know anyone who doesn't follow the rules of firearms safety shouldn't own one etc etc etc......

But, even the most careful humans are fallible, which is exactly why pilots for example, use an actual physical pre-flight checklist, even though they could recite the whole thing by memory.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't own a Glock. They are the most unsafe pistol I know. There are plenty of good striker pistols out there with real safeties.

Good call. I'd never use a suppressor either because they actually make gunshots louder.

I love the internet.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wouldn't own a Glock. They are the most unsafe pistol I know. There are plenty of good striker pistols out there with real safeties.

Cluelessness now extends to your knowledge of firearms as well...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Hug, you can own "my" Glock. I'll take a real safety any day. Sig, FN, Ruger make far safer striker fired pistols than any Glock.

Strange, but I don't recall anyone ever complaining about the lack of a manual safety on a revolver..... The safety on a Glock is the same as the one found on a revolver; KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER unless you're shooting something.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
my dad God rest his soul, was a carpenter. He said to me "measure twice and cut once" good advice for the glock nimrod, check it twice. On the other hand you just can't fix stupid.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I cut that board TWICE and it was still too short...

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Strange, but I don't recall anyone ever complaining about the lack of a manual safety on a revolver..... The safety on a Glock is the same as the one found on a revolver; KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER unless you're shooting something.

Um, no.....

YOU HAVE TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON THE TRIGGER AND PULL IT.... before you can take down a Glock to clean it.

Additionally, that Glock comes with a 5.5lb short travel trigger quite unlike the 8-12lb long travel trigger of a DA revolver. Neither does the process of pulling the trigger on a Glock give other cues the gun is about to go off as in a rotating cylinder and rising external hammer.

Cant readily tell a Glock is loaded either just by looking, unless one takes the time to peer through that little slot in the chamber, in good light.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bullchit storyline by the OP. There is nothing in the story both in print and video that says the handgun was a GLock or any other model. The accompanying photo is not a Glock either.

Once again, "operator error" creates a topic which obfuscates the truth. Typical of the OP.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nowhere has it even comfirmed the weapon in the above case was a Glock

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk

Or disassembling it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk

Or disassembling it.

You have to press the trigger to dis assemble them, but you should drop the mag and clear the chamber first, you also have to take the slide silghtky out of batteryand press down on the little levers, and a convienient eay to do that is with your hand over the mizzle and top of the slide

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 48 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,327
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.