Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Is this conversion feasable ?

I have a '51 BRNO Model 3 in .22LR that I would like to convert to 17HM2. With its' heavy barrel, and tuned trigger,
It shoots very well out to ~100meters in .22LR , I just want a little more.

Does the 17 HM2 offer much more accurate range,
or should I get a 17HMR and forget about the 17HM2 ?

What are my options ?

Thx

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No way I would chop up a classic BRNO like that for an HM2 conversion buts that's just personal opinion.

HMR ammo is easier to find and will give you greater velocity with the same bullet.

All that said, I love the HM2 and it's hell on squirrels.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Not familiar with a Bruno mod 3..
But just for reference if one wants to go mk2 on a bolt actoin or single shot you can reline the barrel with a 17 liner and rechamber. Pretty simple convertion..
I relined an old 10-22 to 17 and fit it to my 77- 22 and made a nifty switch barrel

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
But just for reference if one wants to go mk2 on a bolt actoin or single shot you can reline the barrel with a 17 liner and rechamber. Pretty simple convertion..
I relined an old 10-22 to 17 and fit it to my 77- 22 and made a nifty switch barrel

Thx - my BRNO model 3 is the 1951 version of the modern day CZ varmint. wish I could post pics.
The HB is threaded into the receiver, and I was really looking for something that would allow me to revert to the original .22LR truck axle barrel. I think this one is 27.5" long, but I wouldn't cut that one down, as someone might want to put the aperture sights back on it.

.. maybe a fluted or carbon replacement that is a little easier to walk around with chasing gophers out in the pasture.

Finding and converting a 77/22 might be a better idea, but I think I would take the extra step and go up to the 17HRM ie start with a 22Mag

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SShooterZ
No way I would chop up a classic BRNO like that for an HM2 conversion buts that's just personal opinion.

HMR ammo is easier to find and will give you greater velocity with the same bullet.

All that said, I love the HM2 and it's hell on squirrels.

Your comments are appreciated, and pretty much sum up the situation here in Western Canada too.

That vintage of BRNO .22s are more available here, because of fewer import restrictions into Canada, at the time from Checkoslovakia (sp).

It's a nice gun for gopher safaris where they are sitting up out to ~100 meters. I didn't pay a lot for it when I got it 20 years ago, and it is most interestingly accurate. I just want something with a little more reach ( who doesn't), that isn't a lot noisier and more expensive.
I have other lighter .22LRs for close range shot presentations, so this one is going to fill a niche : accurate at 125 to 150 meters, medium heavy barrel.

I've certainly heard lots of good things about the 17HMR, and I hope the 17WSM plays out equally well.

For me, It really boils down to the cost difference and availability between HM2 and HMR ammo versus the cost/availability of a 17HM2 barrel.

What I've seen locally, is HM2 at ~$10 Cdn and HMR at ~$14-$15 Cdn. selection is lots better in the HMR

Thoughts ?

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It's a simple rebarrel job, nothing else to do to the action, so it should be brutally simple to do, if you choose to do so.

There is the issue of availability of ammo right now, though, and until CCI gets caught up on .22LR demand, it might be awhile before HM2 ammo is easy to find again.

That's the only issue I'd have, other than the wind blowing around the little bullet, and even at that, it's still better than a .22LR in the breeze.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One advantage you'll have with the 17HM2 is that it will probably be able to use you're .22LR magazine. A 17HMR most likely won't.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes - if I had an extra rifle in .22 WinMag, I'd probably just convert it to the 17 HMR, and be done.
But I have the .22LR, and I'm just not sure about HM2 viability over the long term.

The CZ 455 is looking more interesting all the time in 17HMR and .22Mag combo

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 338Rules

Thx - my BRNO model 3 is the 1951 version of the modern day CZ varmint. wish I could post pics.
The HB is threaded into the receiver, and I was really looking for something that would allow me to revert to the original .22LR truck axle barrel. I think this one is 27.5" long, but I wouldn't cut that one down, as someone might want to put the aperture sights back on it.

.. maybe a fluted or carbon replacement that is a little easier to walk around with chasing gophers out in the pasture.

Finding and converting a 77/22 might be a better idea, but I think I would take the extra step and go up to the 17HRM ie start with a 22Mag

No, the model 3 is a heavy target rifle made on the model 1 action and a set trigger, they are as rare as hen's teeth and worth way too much to be cutting up.

Please don't.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a Remington LH 581 that is with a gunsmith now being converted to 17HM2. Not sure I'd use the BRNO as a donor rifle. Too valuable.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Does the 17 HM2 offer much more accurate range,
or should I get a 17HMR and forget about the 17HM2 ?

The 17 Mach 2 should offer an accuracy improvement at 100 yards for sure. It's a fantastic little round provided there's little to no wind blowing.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would keep my BRNO as is and pick up a CZ 455 and one of these
http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/cz_455.htm

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JSTUART

No, the model 3 is a heavy target rifle made on the model 1 action and a set trigger, they are as rare as hen's teeth and worth way too much to be cutting up.

Please don't.

Probably won't, given the absence of any HM2 ammo on the shelves of 2 out of 3 LGS that I have checked recently. HMR no problem.

I'm not sure if my Model 3 has a set trigger?
push forward to set ??

Thanks for your inputs all

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If it has a straight round knurled trigger it is a factory set trigger.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Here is another thing I did....got an old rem target master. Remember the bee hive bolt? Found it in a pawn shop for 85 bucks. Found a takeoff 17 cal barrel and recontoured it fir the rem.. Made the shank the same size as the action so I could mount the front scope ring. It's a real gopher killer..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BRNO Model 3 convert to HM2

I was thinking the same thing.
I have the 17M2 reamer, a barrel, and a lifetime supply of ammo from when it was 7 cents a shot.

But when at the pawn shop I found a Winchester 75 target with cut down barrel for $250.

[Linked Image]

The barrel unscrews on this rimfire too.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by SShooterZ

Likewise here, there's not too many of those model 3's around!! You could sell that model 3 as is and pay for a new CZ 455 and custom barrel.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JSTUART
If it has a straight round knurled trigger it is a factory set trigger.

This Model 3 has a curved trigger - looks just like the one on my '48 Model 1.

I haven't pulled them out of their stocks recently, but IIRC the Model 3 trigger had adjustment screws,
and The Model 1 had no adjustment screws, thus it required some gunsmith stoning to lighten the pull to my liking.

Both triggers behaved the same when pushed forward : dry firing with a heavy release. Probably not a set trigger. ;-(

I am going to watch this HM2 ammo situation more closely before I do anything too rash.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If your gun has a straight round knurled trigger, it might be a modified Stecher model 3. They used a double set trigger...which turned out to be a patent infringement with RWS, therefore all Stecher models were pulled off the market and modified.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

300 members (1_deuce, 12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 38 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,500
Posts18,490,477
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.