Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe buy them better presents.......

I won.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
actually kinda funny cause i spent more time hunting private ground in high school than i have as an adult just cause i found a chunk of public land i really enjoyed hunting on.....but in high school had only a few problems getting on private land.....easiest way to get on was not to bug them in the fall, was to show up in March/April/May and offer to help here and there.....never had much luck waiting till fall to ask.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ask to shoot gophers first. They always say yes.

Don't say a thing, just let them see you treat their property as you would treat your own.

Stop and visit before and after a shoot.

ALWAYS call ahead and ask if theres anything they need from town. Unless its exorbitant, its on your dime.

Pitch in with chores if theres something you can help with.

By and by they will usually ask YOU if you'd like to hunt deer etc.

If not, don't broach the issue. They've already offered up fun for you.

Its called courtesy, like Scott spoke of. It still works.

Last edited by ingwe; 09/20/14.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You should have send a slinky and a Arby's gift card.........
Helping them on the ranch won't work........ grin

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The guy that owns my fave gopher patch got a gift card for something better than Arbys last Xmas.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
The guy that owns my fave gopher patch got a gift card for something better than Arbys last Xmas.

if i stick around here im gonna have to figure out something on the gopher end next spring.....damn virus wiped out the ones out at my uncles cry

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Of course.
You are loaded........
We can't compete with tweed.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I hunted the best turkey property in the county in Florida for a number of years. When some locals found out I was hunting that property they always had the same response 'How did you get in on that property? He never lets anyone hunt his property'

I didn't do a thing but talk to man, never asked. He had some other pasture land that bordered where I worked and I would see him out there at different times with his cattle. I'd swing by and talk with him for a little while and go on my way.

One day while talking he asked me 'Do you like to turkey hunt?' (he knew I was a deer hunter), too which I said YES. He then told me he didn't hunt but he had a bunch of turkey on his property and if I wanted to hunt them I was welcome to. He said stop by one day and I'll show you around.

That's how I got to hunt the best turkey property in the county, by not knowing he had turkeys on his property and not asking for anything from him but some of his company for a few minutes a week to chat the breeze.

Wait. You mean having no hidden agenda, having no designs on someone's property or hunting, and simply being personable because you actually like the person involved works?

Who would have ever thought of such a thing?

Why, it harkened back to the day of actually knowing your neighbors and thinking of them, and not about what you can get from them.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by wageslave

Of course.
You are loaded........
We can't compete with tweed.

I don't wear tweed till October�..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ask to shoot gophers first. They always say yes.

Don't say a thing, just let them see you treat their property as you would treat your own.

Stop and visit before and after a shoot.

ALWAYS call ahead and ask if theres anything they need from town. Unless its exorbitant, its on your dime.

Pitch in with chores if theres something you can help with.

By and by they will usually ask YOU if you'd like to hunt deer etc.

If not, don't broach the issue. They've already offered up fun for you.

Its called courtesy, like Scott spoke of. It still works.

I'll kindly ask you and Scott to refrain from using reason and 'courtesy' upstairs here....it has no place. wink

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MojoHand

I'll kindly ask you and Scott to refrain from using reason and 'courtesy' upstairs here....it has no place. wink

You would not believe how courteous Scott is when he's passing a bottle of Boon's Farm Fuzzy Navel around. grin

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Good info there mark..
Here in SE neb we have many farms broken up in 160 and 80 acre plots most farmers are pretty big and farm several thousand and it get hard to control all the hunters and trespass is a problem. Our farm is kind rare as we have 600 acres all joined and another 240 together with a lone 80..
Most of the people here are pretty good about letting people hunt as long as they ask..and are respectful.. Most don't respond to favors as it can be an insult to their hospitality..me included.. If a father and son show up for a weekend stomping around I'm glad to let them do it.. Had some turkey hunters show up last spring. We let the driver hunt last year and he was successful. This year he brings along 2 truck loads of guys and expects to get access. I think not....
Lesson here is keep a low profile. Get permission and try to not let the land owner know you were even there.. Don't take advantage of them.
I have used this method in eastern Oregon and western Montana and North Dakota. Always been successful...always check out when leaving and tell them how great of time you had on their ranch/farm. They really don't want or care if the hunting was any good..
First impressions are important... Flashy lifted trucks don't impress. Nor do full on camo.. Best to drive in with an older simple truck no more than 2 guys wearing every day clothes.. This always was easy for me as I haven't had a new truck since 1993 and have always dressed like a farmer...I kinda just fit in..

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Originally Posted by MojoHand

You would not believe how courteous Scott is when he's passing a bottle of Boon's Farm Fuzzy Navel around. grin

Brady would agree...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Good info there mark..
Here in SE neb we have many farms broken up in 160 and 80 acre plots most farmers are pretty big and farm several thousand and it get hard to control all the hunters and trespass is a problem. Our farm is kind rare as we have 600 acres all joined and another 240 together with a lone 80..
Most of the people here are pretty good about letting people hunt as long as they ask..and are respectful.. Most don't respond to favors as it can be an insult to their hospitality..me included.. If a father and son show up for a weekend stomping around I'm glad to let them do it.. Had some turkey hunters show up last spring. We let the driver hunt last year and he was successful. This year he brings along 2 truck loads of guys and expects to get access. I think not....
Lesson here is keep a low profile. Get permission and try to not let the land owner know you were even there.. Don't take advantage of them.
I have used this method in eastern Oregon and western Montana and North Dakota. Always been successful...always check out when leaving and tell them how great of time you had on their ranch/farm. They really don't want or care if the hunting was any good..
First impressions are important... Flashy lifted trucks don't impress. Nor do full on camo.. Best to drive in with an older simple truck no more than 2 guys wearing every day clothes.. This always was easy for me as I haven't had a new truck since 1993 and have always dressed like a farmer...I kinda just fit in..

Thanks. When I went to visit the one landowner who lives around here I drove my bare stock '97 Ford F-250 and wore black wranglers and a plaid shirt with a ball cap. Seemed to work OK.

Also finding out that the gifts are not always the best method, but sometimes they are.

The "Be niehborly" works when the landowners are nearby, but as I stated in the original thread, out here the places are much larger and owned by folks from all over the US, and not usually in the West. Thusly, my methods have had to change. When I first started hunting the properties I am talking about, they were owned and controlled by a local family, but since the old man passed away and his one son killed himself by hitting a tree while high on ______________ the pieces have been sold off to out of staters. I had to adapt to be able to hunt, thought my method might help some others out. Also was hoping others might share some methods they use to obtain permission to hunt.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Brady would agree...

Would you believe that he's 6ft tall and is pushing 180?
He still doesn't cuss around me but would probably take you up on your F-Bomb for a C-Note offer. And he'll take his turn on passing the Boon's Farm around too.
He grew up too fast.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Mark..
I think the key here is know you hunting area... Our little broken up patches of land are becoming owned by outsiders also but they usually give access control to the tenants..
Neighborly is the key word......
I discovered the dress by accedent. Was asking for permission wearing a dekalb seed corn hat. Which struck a conversation about farming and how I had to leave in the 80 when farming was tough.. And ended up on the west coast. I had full access to 54 section ranch and hunted prarrie dogs there for the next 7 years..
Still have an open invitation..

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Mark..
I think the key here is know you hunting area... Our little broken up patches of land are becoming owned by outsiders also but they usually give access control to the tenants..
Neighborly is the key word......
I discovered the dress by accedent. Was asking for permission wearing a dekalb seed corn hat. Which struck a conversation about farming and how I had to leave in the 80 when farming was tough.. And ended up on the west coast. I had full access to 54 section ranch and hunted prarrie dogs there for the next 7 years..
Still have an open invitation..

I have had some great hunting spots via a tenant who had this control before also. You are right, of course, about knowing the area. I have had to adapt to new owners, tenants and methodologies several times, and it is way different way out in the breaks of the Snake river VS the smaller family farms nearby. Those a walk up and talk works well on, usually.

You WERE going to invite your friend Mark to shoot prarie dogs out there, right?

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Sure will, if I can ever get time to go again......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I hunted the best turkey property in the county in Florida for a number of years. When some locals found out I was hunting that property they always had the same response 'How did you get in on that property? He never lets anyone hunt his property'

I didn't do a thing but talk to man, never asked. He had some other pasture land that bordered where I worked and I would see him out there at different times with his cattle. I'd swing by and talk with him for a little while and go on my way.

One day while talking he asked me 'Do you like to turkey hunt?' (he knew I was a deer hunter), too which I said YES. He then told me he didn't hunt but he had a bunch of turkey on his property and if I wanted to hunt them I was welcome to. He said stop by one day and I'll show you around.

That's how I got to hunt the best turkey property in the county, by not knowing he had turkeys on his property and not asking for anything from him but some of his company for a few minutes a week to chat the breeze.

Yup. Only way it will work.

This thread is so awesome.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (300_savage, 7mm_Loco, 6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 11 invisible), 1,738 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,904
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.