-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
On the topic of words not meaning what some people assume from their sound, nothing stirs up a good tschidt storm like slipping the word "[bleep]" into any sort of news account.

Edited: Well, I see that even this site had a tschidt fit over the word. For those interested, the word is November-India-Golf-Golf-Alpha-Romeo-Delta-Lima-Yankee.

Last edited by 5sdad; 09/01/14.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You're a phonetical linguist?

Recall some time ago when a media pundit used that word in the course of intelligent discussion (alleged) and one of the lady (alleged) members of the Black Caucus (House) went into high orbit.

I do wish ignorance was painful.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'd like to thank the Academy for doing whatever it is they do...and charging money for it. I'd also like to thank The Big Guy for watching over me, my family, all my friends (except Edwin, he's been pissy lately), the discoverers of Chinese food, Jack Jones and the creators of Love Boat, everyone that talks to the guy in the next stall when they're pooping, and all the things that have inspired me over the years to write country music. Most notably,

The torture of a broken heart, broken bones, broken promises, boils, disease, war, pestilence, failed exams, lost jobs, missing relatives and friends, bad weather, pets dying, the end of the day, the end of vacation, the toilet backing up, more children coming, divorce, death, SPCA ads, old age, rust, GM products, God has deserted you, the car won't start, the devil is chasing you, global warming, impending ice age, fire, children in distress, bills, alimony, suicide, junk mail, the 60s are gone, tornadoes, tidal waves, hurricanes, tsunamis, you're out of beer, the store is closed, no money, no home, no hope, no help, headaches, acne, fear of flying, your first kiss, you're too fat, you're too skinny, feeling sick, feeling blue...

And of course, the little people. You know who you are. Losers...

excerpt from SexyBack
(J. Timberlake, T. Mosley, and N. Hills )
Timberlake owes me a Jeep, but I'll be damned if I can remember why.

I�m bringing sexy back
Them other boys don�t know how to act
I think you're special, what's behind your back?
So turn around and I'll pick up the slack.

Take 'em to the bridge...

Dirty babe
You see these shackles
Baby I�m your slave
I�ll let you whip me if I misbehave
It�s just that no one makes me feel this way...

...etc.

Enjoy the kazoo, mandolin and cow bell.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Limericks. Make it limericks!

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Limeretical?

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
How ironical!!

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
This whole thread is exactly why English is the most difficult language on the planet.

It is also the reason I slept thru high school grammer classes. Yet,somehow, I manage to communicate. smirk

O

Too old to suffer fools
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Aye.

Pert near everbody has a problem wif Inglish! I's thinkin' of takin' Inglish lessons from that lady on TV, Miss Rosetta Stone. She speaks a pile of languages!

I wonder if she's married?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Limericks. Make it limericks!

My favorite:

The structure of limericks somewhat
necessitates eloquent smut.
So if you won't take the time
to learn meter and rhyme,
then don't write them you ignorant slut!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have heard that Ms. Stone is a contentious and confrontational ol' bat. Related to Walter Wenchell no doubt.

Does she do shots?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I have heard that Ms. Stone is a contentious and confrontational ol' bat. Related to Walter Wenchell no doubt.

Does she do shots?

I don't understand anything about that, but I bet she speaks purdy. Come to think of it, you speak purdy too! You know all them fancy, five dollar college words. Anyway, one day I'll get to meet her. I seen them Inglish shows where everbody speaks all high class like...but purdy. You know, poetical, jest like Merle Haggard.

When I'm a drinkin'
And all alone
I dreams of my sweetheart
Miss Rosetta Stone

I hope she does shots too, 'cause when me and the boys is shootin' birds behind the courthouse, we like to do a few ourselves to liven up the competishun. We usually have stuff I brew myself, but there's a bite to 'er. I learned early on not to drink too much. If you does, you start poopin' razor blades! Always drink in moderation. My recipe has to be cut with some quality hooch.

To get the good stuff, we drive over to my buddy Freddy's place for some of his smooth tastin' Freddy Feelgood's Coil Ripened Blended Thunder. A couple a jugs is purt near all we need. The man is a master. He's got customers all over the county. And nobody ever gets comspitated. You know, bunged up.

Seriously, we gotta cut mine with some of his or I figure we'd all go blind. Oh, my stuff ain't that bad really, it's just that the ingredients come outta the dump at Seemyville. I gotta try and get it local - from the dumpster at the grocery store maybe.

The machinery is another story. It's quality stuff! I gots most of the parts for the still from the nuculer reacter place. Well, I don't actually go to the reacter. It's guarded and all. Once a month they bring things from there and toss 'em in the dump beside my place. I guess the dump here is closer than Seemyville. Funny thing is they always do it in the middle of the night! I never could figger out why. I just wish they wouldn't burry everthing. It takes a few hours for to dig everthing out!

Anyways, I grab up whatever I can. Waist not. Want not. My daddy taught me that you gotta recycle things. It's good for planet, right?

[Linked Image]

I just noticed that I wasn't apposta post this here. I'm thankful that the sheriff can't read. Just never mind what I said, okay?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ah, the distilled essence: "A couple if jugs is all we need."

Truer and purdy-(God rest his soul!)-ier words were ne'r before written.

Humbly,

DD

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickF
Orientate instead of orient bugs me.

I can only assume presentate will be next!

And thus we come to one of my pet peeves. I hear people say "preventative" all the time. I've never heard anyone say "preventate." Why isn't "preventive" good enough? Would anyone say, "We're going to preventate the disease with this preventative medicine"?

Another peeve. When I was in the clothing industry, our buyers would introduce the season's new line, and invariably they'd say something like "This season's colorations are rouge, celadon and eggshell." What they couldn't make themselves say was "This season's colors are pink, light green and off white."

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This discussion of poetical,
Is now and then hysterical.
Not hypothetical, or even authentical,
It lures wit in form near magical.

Anon

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by czech1022
Here's a new word for you:

[Linked Image]

And a good one. We could list many ineptocrats.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An oft-misused word just came to mind: dominate, often used as an adjective but is actually a verb, as in "San Antonio has taken over as the dominate team in the NBA."

Properly: San Antonio dominates (verb) the NBA. It is the dominant (adjective, modifying a noun) team.

This is misused so often I won't be surprised when it is recognized as proper. But then, poetical license permits nearly anything.

Steve.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The language in this thread is almost as irritating as a twisted phone cord. Almost.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Am rereading Mark Twain's first book, THE INNOCENTS ABROAD, and he used the word poetical.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
The language in this thread is almost as irritating as a twisted phone cord. Almost.

... or as the hose on a gas pump that fights you every step of the way.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am pretty certain that my grand children have never seen a twisted phone cord; or the rotary phone that was attached to it.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 6MMWASP, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,742 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,906
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.