-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I worked with a guy who was in the Seebees during the Vietnam Era. One of his deployments took him to Spain to a smaller town. There was a bar that all the service men visited. Unfortunately, said bar had a habit of rolling the sailors, Marines, soldiers, etc. Well one night the bar decided to hassle and beat up some Seebees. The Seebees retaliated by going back to the base and getting a big honking dozer. They drove the dozer to town and proceeded to level said bar to the ground. The brass was waiting for them when they got back to base with the dozer. He said they were treated fairly mild considering what the Spanish authorities wanted. Some article 15's and slap on the wrist. Seems the brass was trying to figure out what to do about the bar and the Seebees solve the problem for them.

Go Seebees!

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by derby_dude
I worked with a guy who was in the Seebees during the Vietnam Era. One of his deployments took him to Spain to a smaller town. There was a bar that all the service men visited. Unfortunately, said bar had a habit of rolling the sailors, Marines, soldiers, etc. Well one night the bar decided to hassle and beat up some Seebees. The Seebees retaliated by going back to the base and getting a big honking dozer. They drove the dozer to town and proceeded to level said bar to the ground. The brass was waiting for them when they got back to base with the dozer. He said they were treated fairly mild considering what the Spanish authorities wanted. Some article 15's and slap on the wrist. Seems the brass was trying to figure out what to do about the bar and the Seebees solve the problem for them.

Go Seebees!

My dad was stationed in Roda Spain and he got into a bar brawl with some of the locals there. He said one of the little Spaniard guys was about one of the toughest bastids he's ever came across. He chipped a plate with a bullfighter painted on it in that fight. Now every time we look at that plate (hanging in my grandmothers kitchen), we remember the bar room brawl story that happened in Roda....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Grandfather was a Seabee to the bone, we used to call him McGyver, before McGyver.

Ham radio operator in Guam and a few other places, he built three houses after the war, all of which had a mammoth radio tower in the back yard. smile W6WTB rutabaga. It's engrained in my mind from hearing it a thousand times.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have lived in Sea Bee built quarters several times. First was fairly nice, the second not so much though it kept me dry.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
My youngest son has got 15 years in the Sea Bees. He has been all over the mid east mainly with the marines. Then he recently promoted to ensign I think and went to the state department. He now frequently goes off the grid. We dont hear from him for months at a time. I will be glad when he finally gets back in the states.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Speaking of Seabees....

Anyone read William Bradford Huie's two books?

"Can Do!"

"From Omaha To Okinawa"

I've got em both and they're fascinating reads. I'm in the construction business so it doubles the interest.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Grandpa tried to enlist for WWI, but they said come back when you're 18 son. He did...turned 18 the day after the Armistice. No go.

Fast forward , 25 years and now he has a family of 6 and a growing construction business as well as plowing all the roads in Red Lake County, MN. He figures he's a shoe-in for the SeaBees, so he tries to enlist again. The Navy said no; you've got to provide for your family, you're 43 years old, and we need you plowing roads here at home.

He was crestfallen and never got over it.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's kind of surprising. The books I mentioned cover WWII and the SeeBees were definitely the 'older' guys. IIRC, most of them 30+ yrs old.

As an aside, in the second vid Greg posted they talked about civilian contractors early in the war. My boss had two uncles on Wake Island working for Morrisen-Knudsen out of Boise.

Both were captured by the Japanese and survived the war as POWs. No mean feat, in and of itself...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Tough contract, that one, for DAMN sure.

..I have to wonder how many of the 1,616 Americans made it all the way through THAT debacle,....

Link: http://www.historynet.com/battle-of-wake-island

The Japanese came back December 23 with more force and power and within a mere five hours the island had to surrender. Commander from the U.S. Navy Winfield Scott Cunningham was in charge of the forces and their eventual surrender. The result was 1,616 Americans being captured and in turn being evacuated then to Japan and even China. Though the Japanese heavily fortified the island and attempted to hold it, American aircrafts repeatedly attacked it throughout the war creating major devastation. It was again surrendered on September 4, 1945 back to America

Adjunct to Wake's re-taking

An interesting and sad historical note is that on October 5, 1943 when the Japanese saw imminent invasion an execution was ordered of 98 American civilians. They were taken to one side of the island and shot with machine guns. A prisoner escaped and returned to carve a memorial into a large rock �98 US PW 5-10-43,� and it can still be seen there today. This prisoner was caught and also executed shortly after.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As a kid growing up around WWII vets, I always heard the Mark 2 knife called a Kabar, or a Marine knife. The Mark 1 was always called a Seabees knife.

I'm sure people used whatever they were issued, or bought, or had.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My dad lived by the "can do" attitude. When I was young, I thought my dad could make, build anything. He was a great guy when he wasn't drinking. Thank God, he found a better way of life and stopped drinking. Changed man over night.
He is 82 now living with and battling Alzheimer's

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 204guy, 66 invisible), 2,611 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,813
Posts18,477,617
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.