Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by brymoore
Originally Posted by sbhooper
It never ceases to amaze me how often this topic comes up on forums. In my opinion, an elk is a tough, thick animal and needs the best caliber/bullet combo that you can shoot.

The difference in recoil between several .270s that I have shot and my 7 mags is negligible. It is more of a mental state than anything. Just because it is a magnum, it automatically kicks more in the eyes of many.

Many of the standard calibers (.308, 06, .270, 7-08 etc.) are great for elk. I think that the .243 is too light for the average person and not acceptable for marginal conditions such as steep angles and long ranges. If you have easy access to un-disturbed elk and have perfect shot ops, then it will work.

I just don't understand why people want to show how great they are by using a light caliber for elk. The cost of an elk hunt can be substantial and I don't want to blow a chance because of not having enough rifle to handle the conditions.

If someone cannot handle the recoil of at least 7-08 or 270, then they should re-consider as to whether they should be hunting elk.

People like to over dramatize how tough elk are, the drama increasing the further east of Rocky Mountains one lives. Real life experience; however, doesn't support this myth. You shoot an elk in the lungs and it dies rather quickly, regardless of caliber.

I hope that you are not insinuating that I know nothing of elk, or have not lived in elk country. I have done plenty of both. I am not saying a .243 will not kill an elk. A .22 will-BIG DEAL! If you take out one lung on an elk, it can go for a long way. A heavier bullet is far more likely to take out the lungs at any angle than a puny .243 bullet and do so even after hitting a heavy bone if the shot is not exact. If you have to prove something to yourself by shooting an animal with a marginal caliber, then go for it. It is only your own ethics at stake, as the puny calibers are usually legal.

I believe that pound for pound, a white-tailed deer is tougher than an elk, but that POUND FOR POUND. An elk is still a big, thick critter that needs penetration to make sure the job is done.

I'll stick with my 7 mags and Partitions.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
This discussion leads one to conclude, based on the scientific method, that there's very little difference between certificated... and certifiable.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by SansSouci
I don't care whom writes anything. I've worked in a fact-based career for nigh on 20 years before I took up certificated high school teaching. I am damned proficient at assessing factual information. I don't care who posts it. And that includes especially you.

I'm duly impressed.

mathman, BSEE, MSEE, MS, PhD

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sans, for a guy who tries so hard to sound intelligent, you certainly have a knack for missing the obvious. You castigate Boddington for naming a �best� cartridge, and wonder why he would write about such a thing. And the answer is not only right under your nose, but in your own words above.

I�m 100% certain that if you sat down with Boddington and asked him if there was a single �best� cartridge for each species, he�d say no. But he writes for a living, and things like the best elk cartridge are what people want to read about, and what sells books and magazines. So he obliges.

Boddington and Mule Deer have forgotten more about rifles than you�ll ever know. If either one got hit by a bus tomorrow, and you spent the rest of your life hunting as much as you could, you wouldn�t come close to what they�ve done and seen. Guys like Mule Deer make this site worthwhile; guys like you just make it harder to weed through the bullsh** to get the good information.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Smokepole, Thanks for the back-up, but it�s impossible to argue with somebody who�s a genuine �certificated� high school teacher.

Don't mention it, I know you don't need my back-up. It's also hard to argue with someone whose ignorance prevents them from understanding just how little they know.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Smokepole,

Thanks for the back-up, but it�s impossible to argue with somebody who�s a genuine �certificated� high school teacher.

Plus, what do I know about science or writing? I was just a lowly biology major in college, and my articles have appeared in trash like National Geographic. Probably shouldn�t mention that the FBI and U.S. military shoot into media and consider it part of the scientific process. Otherwise our certificated friend will rip them a new one.

Mule Deer,

I am not sure why you brought up the FRI Firearms Testing. I'll keep my guess to myself. I used to have a copy of it. I don't remember a hypothesis. In fact, it was more of a laboratory comparative analysis of bullets under controlled conditions with each assigned an value thus facilitating comparison.

Now, please reread my posts and show me where anything I wrote was wrong. Can an elk lives sans heart? Does it matter what destroys an elk heart in its dying process? Is a .243 Win through an elk's heart better than an '06 in its guts?

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Sans, for a guy who tries so hard to sound intelligent, you certainly have a knack for missing the obvious. You castigate Boddington for naming a �best� cartridge, and wonder why he would write about such a thing. And the answer is not only right under your nose, but in your own words above.

I�m 100% certain that if you sat down with Boddington and asked him if there was a single �best� cartridge for each species, he�d say no. But he writes for a living, and things like the best elk cartridge are what people want to read about, and what sells books and magazines. So he obliges.

Boddington and Mule Deer have forgotten more about rifles than you�ll ever know. If either one got hit by a bus tomorrow, and you spent the rest of your life hunting as much as you could, you wouldn�t come close to what they�ve done and seen. Guys like Mule Deer make this site worthwhile; guys like you just make it harder to weed through the bullsh** to get the good information.

Are you tell me that there was modicum of knowledge conveyed in Boddington's article?

Tell me, omniscient one, what is the single best cartridge for hunting mule deer. Take all the time you need. I can wait...forever!

It was wholly useless information undoubtedly published for entertainment value. The answer was right under your nose but you've failed to see it because you were too busy trying to morph the mundane into absurd.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Tell me, omniscient one, what is the single best cartridge for hunting mule deer. Take all the time you need. I can wait...forever!

The one I would shove up your ass until it made another point on your head if you were standing in front of me.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
SanSouci,

I don�t know why you got in an uproar. All I did was suggest you were being a little hard on Craig, and stated why.

I�m perfectly willing to admit that a large part of gun writing is entertainment, but that doesn�t mean it�s all BS. My guess, based on knowing Craig and the business in general, is Craig�s editor assigned him that specific subject. Why? Well, to entertain, and stir up some controversy, sure. But also because Craig has killed a pile of big game around the world, mostly while looking for the biggest trophy possible, including a bunch of elk�and also been alongside many companions when they were doing the same thing, as well as talked to a bunch of professional guides. His books always include the opinions of such professionals, to provide a well-rounded viewpoint.

Craig is certainly as entitled to an opinion about the �best� cartridge for various kinds of big game as anybody around, and far more than most. I have not only known him for over 30 years but hunted with him and worked for him. He�s as honest as anybody I know, and far more experienced than 99% of hunting/gun writers. So yeah, I spoke up about your opinion, which is based on far less knowledge than any piece of entertainment Craig ever wrote.

In my own gun writing I try to combine entertainment with some results, whether scientific or not. The world would be a dull place if it was limited to �just the facts.� In the process I�ve not only hunted quite a bit (though not as much as Craig), but have visited various factories where ammunition, rifles, optics, etc. are made, along with various ballistics labs. Many of those people have a high enough regard for my technical knowledge that they�ve helped me considerably with even more. So no, my knowledge is not gained strictly from shooting �media� and game.

Though I must note that every highly-regarded hunting bullet and ammo company not only tests bullets in media, but then goes on to test them in a lot of animals, because bullets don�t always act the same in animals as in meda. So far this is the only way to get a somewhat �scientific� notion of how bullets will perform in the field. In a way it�s like biology: Results can�t be as exact as in some other branches of science, but overall results can provide useful and valid information.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
........ what is the single best cartridge for hunting mule deer.................

The 270 Winchester! smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bob, like you I�ve taken some good mule deer bucks over the decades. Have used various cartridges from the .257 Roberts to the .300 Winchester Magnum, but a couple of years ago decided to average the calibers, bullet weights and velocities. The result was a bullet around .28 in diameter, with a 150-grain bullet at 2900 fps. Sounds kinda familiar!

Come to think of it, that works on elk, too...

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
John sounds like a 270 or 280 to me!

Matter of fact it works so good I recently acquired a Rem MR in 280....just so I can say I have one. wink

Yeah that works on elk... smile

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The 7mm Rem Mag is the best Mule Deer caliber ever created, and the 270 is a VERY close second. I've stacked piles of mulies up with these two cartridges�

God Bless America!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The result was a bullet around .28 in diameter, with a 150-grain bullet at 2900 fps.

Uh-oh, now you've done it, picked a "best mule deer cartridge." There's gonna be hell to pay.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Matter of fact it works so good I recently acquired a Rem MR in 280....just so I can say I have one. wink

I read somewhere that some people have had trouble with the bolt handles falling off Remingtons

LOL!!!!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
John sounds like a 270 or 280 to me!

Yeah that works on elk... smile

I'm glad you caved on the 280. I'm sure I would be living in a tent were I to even ask to bring it home! It was danged tempting though.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like Mule Deer and his work, but the ass kissing he receives on this site is getting old.

As far as the .270 Win and 130s on elk, I've seen it work more than a few times. Even with Wally world special Cup ~n Cores. No issues when lung/heart hit.

I do like my magnums though.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
He said around .28 in diameter. .270 is .277. .280 and 7mm are .284.

The 270 wins. May as well get rid of those useless .280s.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
I like Mule Deer and his work, but the ass kissing he receives on this site is getting old.

I would assume that's directed at my posts. If it's really bothering you, why don't you kiss mine. Just for a change of pace.

On second thought.....yeah, you're right there is a certain amount of that here and I try not to engage in it. My comments were more directed at the resident elk hunting and gun-writing expert, sansouci. I thought it was funny that he chose to argue about gunwriters with a gunwriter. And to talk about MD and his work while in the same breath admitting he didn't know who MD was.

Last edited by smokepole; 09/24/14.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 338rcm

I read somewhere that some people have had trouble with the bolt handles falling off Remingtons

LOL!!!!

That's true! And I have seen it, first hand.....but sometimes you just get tired of worrying about everything and say "screw it".

Besides I still have all my pre 64 FW's smile

Beretz I figure I may as well grab it before it went somewhere else!

redfoxx the 7 Rem Mag is without a doubt among the best mule deer cartridges.It's a bomb if you point it right!

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 12344mag, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 900 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,808
Posts18,496,405
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.