-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The one thing that the 375 H&H gives you is the peace of mind.

For any shot within your range limitations, you know that for any shot, at any angle the 375 H&H will do the job.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good thread gents. Another thought on the 375 H&H. A buffalo at twenty five yards and a kudu at 350 plus.....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have run 4 poles on cartridges this year

It's simple

Girl = 7x57

Man = 375 H&H

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Just to stir schit. wink

.30-06 and 180 gr Nosler Partitions.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
nah, 3006 is revered at least by many. If you want to stir up schit try 300 Weatherby and Partitions smile :

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I took a Weatherby Mark V in .340 Wby and the PH wasn't to keen on me using it. Did miss a shot at an oryx with it. frown

Used the same rifle on my first elk though. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by jorgeI
nah, 3006 is revered at least by many. If you want to stir up schit try 300 Holland & Holland Partitions smile

Fixed it for ya jorgeI ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ grin

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I�ve used a bunch of rifles on plains game chambered for a variety of cartridges. The smallest round was a .22-250 belonging to one of my PH�s, used for some culling, the but the smallest I�ve brought was a 7x57 and the largest a .375 H&H. They both worked well when a bullet that penetrated sufficiently (and all did) was put in the right place, as did every cartridge in between.

As I recall, all those cartridges have worked on deer too!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Count me in with the girls according to Ted. I'd choose the 7x57, or in my case, 7mm-08. Find a load for the 120 TTSX and go put a pile of critters in the skinning shed.

It'll also be a deadly whitetail round, which you're likely to use more often anyway.

This also sounds like a good reason to get both.

Good luck!

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
On my one hunt to Namibia, A PG hunt, I had an '06 and a 375 an meant to chose one or the other each morning on a whim-or-whatever. I started with the 375; I liked it and it performed superbly.

About half way through I mentioned to my PH I was going to switch to the '06 and he said, "why?" Stay with what is working so well. I came away with a great affection for this classic cartridge which, as I've said before, is The Great Cartridge--a blend of great power with a more than adequate trajectory, and very tolerable recoil.

That sounds almost exactly like my first safari. I took a .300 and a .375 on a plains game hunt. The .375 was mostly because I had dreamed of hunting Africa with a .375 and wanted to at least take one animal with it. We had a long truck ride to the hunting area to discuss the caliber choice and I could tell that he was steering me toward the smaller rifle and even mentioned how well his 7 x 57 worked a number of times. He also owned a .375.

After the normal sight check, we had a bit of time before dark to take a look for game. I asked which rifle and he was quick to suggest the .375. Putting them all in the same hole may have had something to do with it. :)After the first day there was no way in hell they wanted to even talk about switching to the small rifle. I played dumb and asked what happened to all the talk about smaller rifles, and was told that (and I quote) "We say that to everyone, because if you can't shoot the big one it makes it easier to talk you into the small one. The bigger the better, IF you can shoot it". There may be a bit of "if it aint broke, don't fix it" involved too.

Somehow I accidently became a .375 for everything guy for awhile, although it was never planned that way.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brian
which one and why? would have to do double duty as a North Amercian deer rifle

For smaller plains game I would say 275 Rigby would be better in style and designation though it is basically 7x57 Mauser. For large game on hoof 9.5x73 would be better though it's often referred to as .375 Rimless Nitro Express Holland. wink

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The .375 is truly the one cartridge to pick if you only have one rifle and want to hunt the world. With 250-270 grain bullets, it will have the same trajectory as a 7X57, but still has the power to take anything on the planet.

If there's dangerous game (buff and Elephant especially) in the area, then the .375 is really a no-brainer. I get a shudder up my spine when I think about how many times I jumped off the truck in Matetsi with a .22 Hornet chasing small plains game. If we'd run into a pissed off buff or elephant, I would have been dependent on my PH to save my butt.

For duikers, klipspringers, etc. the .375 with solids will do much less damage than the 7X57. For deer sized game and up, the .375 will kill all of them with authority. As far as using your .375 for hunting deer in North America, you'll always have an entrance and exit would, and it destroys less meat than most mid-caliber cartridges.

The downside is that ammo is more expensive, and the recoil is more than some folks can handle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by talentrec
The .375 is truly the one cartridge to pick if you only have one rifle and want to hunt the world. With 250-270 grain bullets, it will have the same trajectory as a 7X57, but still has the power to take anything on the planet.

If there's dangerous game (buff and Elephant especially) in the area, then the .375 is really a no-brainer. I get a shudder up my spine when I think about how many times I jumped off the truck in Matetsi with a .22 Hornet chasing small plains game. If we'd run into a pissed off buff or elephant, I would have been dependent on my PH to save my butt.

For duikers, klipspringers, etc. the .375 with solids will do much less damage than the 7X57. For deer sized game and up, the .375 will kill all of them with authority. As far as using your .375 for hunting deer in North America, you'll always have an entrance and exit would, and it destroys less meat than most mid-caliber cartridges.

The downside is that ammo is more expensive, and the recoil is more than some folks can handle.

Exactly, well said sir.

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My previous answer was basically a joke. On serious note from pragmatic point of view neither should be considered for your intended use. The evalutation of PMP-Denel site reveals that .30-06 or .300 Winchester Magnum should be chosen instead. Buying a rifle in given caliber is exactly like buying printer or glucose monitor. Always check price and availability of "print cartridges" and "testing strips" first.
You live in Wisconsin USA. Walmart does not seem to carry wallpaper but I bet every one you visit will carry .30-06 and .300 WinMag ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will vote for the 7 X 57 as a great choice for PG. With TSX's, Partitions, or the equivalent, it will take care of business. It is pleasant to shoot and does not beat you up to practice with. More practice will make you more confident. Shooting 40 rounds of 7 x 57 at the range is no sweat. 40 rounds of .375 H & H is more taxing, to be kind.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I would have to look at my hunting notes to come up with an exact figure, but have no doubt that I've seen far more plains game wounded with .375's and similar cartridges than smaller rounds. This hasn't been due only to the shooter not being able to handle the recoil, but harder-recoiling cartridges breaking more scopes.

I will also note that a few shooters find rifle that didn't make them flinch back in the U.S. does cause a flinch when they shoot it almost every day on a plains game safari. Have seen the shooting ability of several hunters decline during a 10-day or 2-week safari as their magnum started wearing them down.

Of course, none of this could ever happen to any member of the Campfire.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had hunters use a 375 for 3-4 days and then start shooting horrible.

This is a huge problem when the remaining days are limited and there is too much time spent looking for wounded or lost game.

I have more then a few times offered up my 30/06 because their rifle is " off" the results were back to good shooting and a great finish to the trip.

On occasion ( and I should not give up my secrets here in public) I have asked the hunter to check zero at the range. I also take the rifle to shoot myself to verify it with my shooting first. The offer is to reduce the recoil pounding for them. This is always a welcomed offer!

When I'm done I hand the unloaded rifle to the hunter who believes it's ready to go. At the " click" of the trigger when the rifle jumps off the bags its obvious what the problem has become.

It's a really nasty thing to do by me, however there is no argument about going to the 30/06 after this. They shoot my rifle off the bags and we go kill stuff again.

Two thoughts here. There are a large majority of shooters who do not flinch or jump at all with the 375HH cartridge. There are much harder recoiling rifles then this.

There has been a large majority who have had flinching with the 300 mags. Based on the cross section of hunters I have had in my camps, the 300 mags are by a very wide margin the most flinch inducing cartridges I have ever seen my hunters use. Actually, It would be a comfortable bet for me to say that less then 50% shoot the 300 mags without any care or concern of recoil.

The difficult part of this is that the owner of the rifle either does not know this and blames the scope, ammo or rifle. He may also have an ego issue so he will not accept switching to a smaller rifle to make hunting so much more fun.

Of course none of the campfire members fall into this category as John suggests!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I have had hunters use a 375 for 3-4 days and then start shooting horrible.

This is a huge problem when the remaining days are limited and there is too much time spent looking for wounded or lost game.

I have more then a few times offered up my 30/06 because their rifle is " off" the results were back to good shooting and a great finish to the trip.

On occasion ( and I should not give up my secrets here in public) I have asked the hunter to check zero at the range. I also take the rifle to shoot myself to verify it with my shooting first. The offer is to reduce the recoil pounding for them. This is always a welcomed offer!

When I'm done I hand the unloaded rifle to the hunter who believes it's ready to go. At the " click" of the trigger when the rifle jumps off the bags its obvious what the problem has become.

It's a really nasty thing to do by me, however there is no argument about going to the 30/06 after this. They shoot my rifle off the bags and we go kill stuff again.

Two thoughts here. There are a large majority of shooters who do not flinch or jump at all with the 375HH cartridge. There are much harder recoiling rifles then this.

There has been a large majority who have had flinching with the 300 mags. Based on the cross section of hunters I have had in my camps, the 300 mags are by a very wide margin the most flinch inducing cartridges I have ever seen my hunters use. Actually, It would be a comfortable bet for me to say that less then 50% shoot the 300 mags without any care or concern of recoil.

The difficult part of this is that the owner of the rifle either does not know this and blames the scope, ammo or rifle. He may also have an ego issue so he will not accept switching to a smaller rifle to make hunting so much more fun.

Of course none of the campfire members fall into this category as John suggests!

Yip, have to agree with this. Spot on.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Jeffpg
Originally Posted by Brian
which one and why? would have to do double duty as a North Amercian deer rifle

Both.
and
just cause they're cool,
and you can!

I just used the 7x57 for the first time in the Limpopo Province of South Africa and it sure was good to me!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I like your style, most people show pictures of antelope ,cats , and other graceful animals, not you, a baboon ,a bush pig and a honey badger, no grace in any of them.......KUDOS to you.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I will also note that a few shooters find rifle that didn't make them flinch back in the U.S. does cause a flinch when they shoot it almost every day on a plains game safari. Have seen the shooting ability of several hunters decline during a 10-day or 2-week safari as their magnum started wearing them down.

Of course, none of this could ever happen to any member of the Campfire.

Well maybe I'm just odd then, cause I can admit, that a flinch can occur when shooting a lot. I don't usually shoot a hundred rounds, with my 375H&H , in one outing. But I do a lot when shooting a sporting clays course, with my clays shotgun. As I get older I find I start having discipline troubles concerning trigger & gun control late in the round. It's like the yips in golf while putting. I just have no control over the shot. Drives me nuts. I'll go as far as admitting I've almost fallen out of the shooting stand before. LOL

With that said, I don't seem to have the same troubles while shooting, with a 10#+ 375H&H, 40 to 50 rounds at the range. Some bench but most off sticks. If I had to shoot that much on a plains game hunt in Africa my wallet would not be able to cover the fun. So I doubt I would have to worry about it.

I'm in the school that bigger is better when it comes to throwing bullets at animals. So my choice is and has been since the mid-90's the 375H&H for everything that I hunt here in the states. Although that will soon change with an addition of a 300H&H to the rack. But it won't be a mountain weight rifle either. I think most flinch and scope breakage comes from rifles that are to light in mass weight for caliber. I once owned a 700 mountain rifle made by Remington in an '06 that made me flinch every time I pulled trigger. Damn thing kick like a mule. And it did brake a fixed 4x Leupold to boot. I sold it to a fella that decided he need a real light rifle to hunt elk with.

Last edited by Wild_Bill_375; 09/29/14. Reason: Sorry it was not a Rem in the 06 mountain rifle it was a Ruger with the pencil barrel.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (12344mag, 17Hunter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 153, 74 invisible), 3,024 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,978
Posts18,480,823
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.