Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I checked that my 30-06 Custom by Klaus Hiptmayer was sighted in at 200 yds. The rifle has been shot and used all year and has been right on.

[Linked Image]

I am trying to rotate this picture.

HR IC

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How does one shot prove anything?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Mathman,

Thank you for the comment. I am proud of that rifle. You should learn that all it takes is one shot.

Show us your rifle and target?

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While Mathman is correct in that 1 shot does not give a statistically valid sample, when you have a rifle that consistently shoots to the same POI 1 shot is all that is necessary to prove that it is still sighted.
Looks like you are good to go with a nice rifle.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Have you learned the statistical significance of one data point?

I'm not questioning the quality of the rifle. For all I know it's the finest ever made.

Let me see if I can attach a small enough target file to fit.

Here's a sight in for one of my 308's. That's five shots, dead center at 100 yards, my baseline zero for a scope with a turret.

Attached Images
target to don.gif (31.76 KB, 1589 downloads)
Last edited by mathman; 09/24/14.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That rifle has been a favorite now for open country hunting for a few years now. I shoot every week, weather permitting, and that custom 30-06 has been a front row, ready to go rifle.

I keep records of how each rifle shoots. The previous outing for the Hiptmayer custom was on 9-08-14 when it put two shots into 2" @ 200 yds from a cold clean barrel. The load was the same 155 VLD over Varget. The one shot today was from a cold fouled bore. smile

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here is your picture that you linked to above.

It's excellent. I sight 308 hunting rifles two or more inches high at 100 yds so as to be on at longer ranges.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I noted I was setting a baseline zero for a scope with a turret.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I read that and it's not the best way for a hunting rifle.

When your at the range the next time sight it in two inches high at 100 yds and your bullets won't hit so low at longer ranges.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My bullets don't hit low. If I want a 200 yard zero, I just dial it. 300 yards? Same story.

The turret is set zero referenced to 100. I've actually gone out and shot the drops for other distances, and I know how to dial for them. Hundreds of rounds have been fired dialing the scope so I know it tracks. It takes me about a quarter second to dial in a half mil of up to set an "all around" type of zero.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
As much as I hate to agree with Savage 99, one really doesn't need to go all math professor on a target just to confirm zero. Especially for a hunting rifle, and doubly so if the rifle has a history of maintaining zero and hasn't taken any major falls.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The funniest part is there isn't 200 yards in Conn. he shoots deer from his kitchen window, out of his neighbors garden

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
When you can do it, there is nothing wrong with being perfect.

Mathman Vs. Don..........seriously

The simple comment about it being "better" to sight in high vs. Knowing that using a turret while hunting isn't complicated is priceless.

Last edited by CLB; 09/24/14.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by gitem_12
The funniest part is there isn't 200 yards in Conn. he shoots deer from his kitchen window, out of his neighbors garden
grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You guys arguing like a bunch of old ladies all day while I'm out busting my azz at work laugh.. It's all in what you are used to. Zero for MPBR or zero for POA/POI at a given distance and twist turrets for further shots. Some guys use ballistic plex type reticles too. What's "perfect" for you may not be "perfect" for the next guy. I am surprised mathman didn't ask to see 10 (1 shot each) targets from 10 different days to check consistency, precision and accuracy..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Would have been an excellent idea if MM did ask.... smile

You can't fault a guy for being technically "perfect".

Last edited by CLB; 09/24/14.
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I read that and it's not the best way for a hunting rifle.

When your at the range the next time sight it in two inches high at 100 yds and your bullets won't hit so low at longer ranges.

I'm waiting to hear how this is the "right way" with nothing else being defined such as use of ballistic plex or any other way to compensate except "holding on hair"...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
You guys arguing like a bunch of old ladies all day while I'm out busting my azz at work laugh.. It's all in what you are used to. Zero for MPBR or zero for POA/POI at a given distance and twist turrets for further shots. Some guys use ballistic plex type reticles too. What's "perfect" for you may not be "perfect" for the next guy. I am surprised mathman didn't ask to see 10 (1 shot each) targets from 10 different days to check consistency, precision and accuracy..

That would actually be a useful batch of data.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That would actually be a useful batch of data.

But really wouldn't answer the original question any better than a single shot did

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
While Mathman is correct in that 1 shot does not give a statistically valid sample, when you have a rifle that consistently shoots to the same POI 1 shot is all that is necessary to prove that it is still sighted.
Looks like you are good to go with a nice rifle.

My problem is that shooting a rifle once for me is like trying to eat just one potato chip. Can't stop at just one. Hell, I put insurance shots into prarie dogs.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 21, 1minute, 260madman, 1OntarioJim, 57 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,431
Posts18,489,256
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.