Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Live and learn. I live in elk country but usually day hunt. I turn around when I hit the 5 miles mark from the road, and I have buddies with horses.

I believe the old adage that 75% (or whatever % it is) hunt with a mile of the road is true. If I get in a couple miles, I usually have the place to myself.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Someone mentioned a shake out trip. You might think about that next time. Go into the area without a gun and license, and just see what you'll be up against� then decide if killing an elk, or getting the 'whole experience' is more important to you. Often a good guided hunt will cost you less than a short string of DIY fiascos.

Very true, this.

Especially in the Bob. Big country for sure and the elk can/will range for miles and miles, not to mention the wolf factor. If you go the guide route be sure to check out guiding services very carefully. There are some great people out there, and then some not so much. A guide/drop camp for a group your size would be viable alternative as well.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for posting this. I know I learned many of the same lessons you did. Just don't stop trying! It will get 'easier' as you get more experience. What you learned on this trip will be worth it's weight (pun definitely intended wink ) on future trips.

Someone above mentioned positive attitude. IMO, that's the most important thing to pack. It is something I have to consiously try to do. It's easy to get down when you've put in that much effort and aren't seeing game. That said, sitting in camp getting one's mope on doesn't fix it. BTW, I'm not saying that's what you did, but I have done that.

Good luck and always keep asking questions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your pictures are very revealing! You guys would have needed to push farther south toward the "Park" to find any decent numbers of elk....I've hunted that country you were in since 1980. The fires of 88', and the wolves have changed the dynamics of the elk heard in that part of the "AB"....still a great piece of true wilderness, and it has, and always will hold a special place in my heart.

One of the biggest bulls I've ever seen was was up on the west side of Iron Mountain, not too far from where you were. That was the fall of 2001. I was hunting sheep, had some rams located, and decided to pass on him. In hindsight, I should have killed him....but that's hunting.

When you kill an elk and backpack it out of that country, you've been on a real elk hunt...

Good effort! The agony, and pain of defeat, will always dilute, when success is finally achieved...

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
You pegged it�

I think there are some nice animals in there, I just need to get to know it and continue to learn.

Thanks for the insight, and thanks to all that have replied.

-Dustin

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I think the take away from your whole experience is that you actually cowboyed up and did it!! Millions of people dream the dream each year but you and 6 other guys did it!! Heck I run into guys year in and year out here in PA that talk the talk, but come time to put the time and money into an elk hunt waffle every year. Next year, you will have a firm hold on what you need to do and how to do it, and Ill wager a good bit of money that you guys get into elk!!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Apparition
I think the take away from your whole experience is that you actually cowboyed up and did it!!

+1, and he's gonna do it again, a tip of the hat to you, rifles.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by iddave
That was great read buddy. I admire you for being so brutally honest about your trip.

PM me if you ever want any additional elk intel off-line.

Dave

+1, and it wasn't a wasted trip because you learned from it. You've got to start somewhere.

It's easy to Monday-morning quarterback, but for what it's worth you might consider the following advice. It wasn't long ago that I was in your shoes and I like to think I've learned a few things. Mostly from my mistakes!!

2) Elk hunting is all about hunting where they are, and not committing to a place where they're not. Sounds obvious, but that was your main problem. Always have a plan B and C, as in other places to go if your first choice turns out to be a dry hole. Keep moving until you find them; plan on not settling down at a camp until you do. You'd have been better off going in a few miles, checking it out, and then pulling up stakes and going somewhere else. That's much harder to do 10 miles from the truck than 3 or 4.

Good luck.

Truer words have never been spoken. I can't tell you how many times I have hunted areas that were infested with elk. So many elk they were actually tearing up the mountain. Next day not a single elk to be found. You have to be flexible with elk hunting hunt where the elk are, sounds stupid I know. Find the elk before you kill yourself hunting animals that may not even be there. This is different than mule deer hunting.

Thanks for an interesting story. When I first started reading I knew quickly this wasn't going to end good. For heavens sake someone should have at least jumped on a 4 wheeler and checked out the road first. Hiking your tail off just to see other trucks there or 4 wheelers sucks so bad. I know I have done it without knowing a road was I the area. I agree too many people.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Yes, elk are mobile, and they can appear as fast as they disappear. Last fall, 4 of us were hunting together. By the last week, none of us had scored on elk although we'd got several deer. For the last week, 3 of us went back up for a final 5 day whack at it. After 2 days of seeing not even a track, 1 guy went home about noon on the 3d day. That day we had new snow and that afternoon the elk arrived. The 2 of us still hunting found 50 or more within 1/4 mile of a main road but it was too dark to shoot. They were right out in the open in plain sight of everything. We were there before shooting light the next morning and brought home 2 of them. We sneaked about 200 yds off the road to some timber and shot them on the open hillside above us. We were able to roll them down to the flat and drive the truck right to them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You did a great job of writing this story. I was laughing with you, not at you. It sounded eerily similar to some of my first elk hunts. It can be very humbling. It gets better though, especially when you realize you don't need all of that "stuff" to have a productive, comfortable, and safe trip. You also learn that getting in shape and being prepared for an elk hunt requires significant effort. Thanks for sharing.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I was laughing with you, not at you

Oh hell, I was laughing at him a couple of times grin Manley because I was in his position on my first elk hunt, nothing humbles you quite so much as your first DIY elk hunt.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Gear: if you know you need it, you just might. If you think you need it, you probably don't.

Your chance of success dwindles precipitously once your group size grows larger than 3.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I know my blood pressure would climb exponentially with every person more than two, counting myself, and that's not a knock on the third guy. It's just simple math and the likelihood that at any given point in time you'll be waiting on someone else to take a dump, refill his water container, stop for a snack, stop for a breather, stop to re-lace his boots, stop to take care of a blister, stop to take a photo, stop to mug up, stop.........

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Apparition
I think the take away from your whole experience is that you actually cowboyed up and did it!!

Amen! I doubt there are many of us who have been there who haven't been in many of the same situations or at least have a great appreciation for what you endured. DIY back country Elk hunting is hard.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Vek
Gear: if you know you need it, you just might. If you think you need it, you probably don't.

A great statement! That will always be playing in my head while packing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good for you that you did it. My first backpack hunt out west was 2012. I had a couple of guys that were interested in going, one had committed. All backed out and I did a solo hunt. Very humbling being in the wilderness by yourself and I did feel a bit overwhelmed by it all. I didn't get a deer, but had a great experience and learned a lot. One thing I did right was try gear on several backpack trips before I went to see what worked, what I needed, what I could do without. I still carried stuff I found I didn't need and erred on the heavy side, mostly by carrying too much food.

Next year will be better for you. You know now how to prepare.

And you can't be in too good of shape to hunt out west. That is the number one thing IMO that will make your hunt the most pleasant. It's hard to focus on what you're there for when you're exhausted, sore, and feel you won't be able to handle the situation you're in.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 222Sako, 204guy, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,465 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,606
Posts18,492,376
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.