Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
seal- hardly a chemical engineer, but I spent 30+ years working on turbine aircraft, where all lubes including engine and airframe were pure synthetics.

The new engine and trans oils, especially the pure synthetics, will give you much more protection than any dino oil, and for a much longer period. The changes are up to you, but I change filters much more often than oil on all of my vehicles as far as engines and trans are concerned.

Differentials, transfer cases, and power steering pumps will also suffer less wear using pure synthetics than dino-based oils or blends, as the synthetics won't absorb moisture and don't break down nearly at all with age, especially compared with dino oil.

Obviously, TN climate doesn't require nearly as much attention to viscosity as it does up here in the north, but longevity of the lubricant is still much longer in the other fluid parts of a vehicle if synthetics are used. I especially prefer Schaeffer or Royal Purple in the diffs, xfr, trans, and pwr steering pumps. I've experienced less noise, higher mpg's, and the peace of mind knowing I really don't need to address them for the rest of the life of the vehicle.
Jim

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm gonna do a change in the transmission in a week or two. I'm gonna go with Redline MTL. Its been recommended over and over on wranglerforum. I'm thinking its a ester based synthetic as opposed to PAO like amsoil or grade 4 fake synthetic like Mobil or most of the other synthetic oils. Even the T6 Rotella I use is just hydrocracked grade 4 dino oil, but it gets awesome UOAs and i can get a gallon of it for 20 buck when its on sale.

Last edited by seal_billy; 11/09/14.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm gettin' old; I forgot about RedLine. Back in my go-fast boating days, I lunched my share of outdrive gearsets, and after switching to their Shock-Proof Heavy gear lubricant in my Merc outdrives, I never had another failure. I've never used their products in automotive applications, but it sure worked well in the marine environment. I believe Summit is still a big distributor for them.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (300_savage, 3dtestify, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 6 invisible), 1,202 guests, and 791 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,994
Posts18,481,137
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.