Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Finally got a chance to take some decent pictures of this intriguing Model 70 I bought last week. Further research has confirmed that this is a Winchester Model 70 Sporting Sharpshooter, made by the Winchester Custom Shop in about 1991-92. The stock is a McMillan, the trigger is a Jewell, and the barrel is reportedly a Schneider and is 26" long and .625" at the muzzle.

I can't wait to get this rifle to the range. It is behind a few other projects in line so it may be a few months, but I've got a few pounds of Ramshot Magnum powder set aside and just need to lay in a supply of Nosler 140gr Accubonds. This will be the first "Big 7" I've worked with (have 7x57 and have had 7-08's) so I'm looking forward to it. From looking at the barrel I don't believe it has been shot much at all, or if it has it has been cleaned very well.

I'm pretty sure the stock here is a McMillan Supergrade pattern. If it is, it's the first Supergrade pattern I've had (I usually order Compact or Pre-64 Monte Carlo pattern McMillans) and I've found it pretty comfortable when shouldering the rifle and working the bolt. We'll see how it handles recoil grin If it does that well, I may have to order one for my other Model 70 project: a "long range" 30-06 built on a Transition pre-64 M70 action.

Here's a pic of the Sporting Sharpshooter:

[Linked Image]

Barrel markings:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Proof marks:

[Linked Image]

Crown:

[Linked Image]

Trigger:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Oregon45; 09/27/14.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Nice.When I first got mine,the guy I bought it from gave me some factory Winchester 150gr Power Points.I shot them over my chronograph,low and behold,3450fps!!!I pulled a bullet from one of the factory rounds,weighed the charge @ 80.0grs.I did some research on the powder and was able to duplicate that load with now discontinued Winchester WXR.I did more research and found that powder was made in Sweden by the same company that makes Norma powder.WXR powder and Reloader-22 are supposed to be the same powder as Norma MRP.They are lots that didn't meet the specs to be packaged as Norma.I have compared WXR and Reloader-22 and both powders loaded the same,gave me near identical groups and velocity.80.0gr in my opinion is a little hot for a 150gr bullet,but that's what I load for 140gr bullets.I'm loading 78.5 with 150gr,77.0 with 160gr and 76.0grs with 175gr bullets.Every rifle is different,mine is a Rem. 700 Sendero with a 26" barrel,so never start with a load someone publishes,always start low and work your way up.I just posted this info so it will give you an idea on what powder to use and about how much.Enjoy your 7STW,hopefully it will make a comeback,it is a great round.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cool rifle oregon45. I like it.. I also look forward to seeing your transition long bomber '06 when it's done!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice!

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by baldhunter
so never start with a load someone publishes,always start low and work your way up.I just posted this info so it will give you an idea on what powder to use and about how much.Enjoy your 7STW,hopefully it will make a comeback,it is a great round.

Too late used your data off to the range I go

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Here is some load pressure testing done years ago with a 24" Browning 7STW
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Great gun ,that was even more 'special' ! I have 2 7STW's and one custom sharpshooter in 300 win mag, your gun is SS AND has the sporting stock! I think you have the first 'Custom Sporting Sharpshooter' they came out in 93' .270win,300win mag and 7STW ! Is your sharpshooter the pre 64 action? very best WinPoor

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Nope, it is a push-feed action.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Nice guns ! I have yet to pull the trigger on a Custom Shop bolt gun that was not a nail driver! My most accurate semi custom gun is in 308 with a Schneider barrel. Schneider is as good as it gets on button guns and his QC is off the charts good!IIRC he had the Marine barrel biz for quite a while! very best WinPoor

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would like to come across blued/wood stock custom shop combo in .300 Pegasus. cool I suspect only couple were made. It will never happen I can't even find lever gun in 307 or 356. cry

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Nice guns ! I have yet to pull the trigger on a Custom Shop bolt gun that was not a nail driver! My most accurate semi custom gun is in 308 with a Schneider barrel. Schneider is as good as it gets on button guns and his QC is off the charts good!IIRC he had the Marine barrel biz for quite a while! very best WinPoor

I remember going by the PWS shop on Quantico around 2006 in order to pick up a few rifles for our deploying company. They were out on the range shooting an older M40. The shooter said they were closing in on 10000 rounds out of the rifle and it was still holding MOA. Being the inquisitive looney I am, I asked who made the barrels, it was the first time I ever heard Schneider mentioned.

I don't hear about them much but I remember this old 40 doing what it was built to do.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's some cool info.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I did just like baldhunter. The 140gr winchester supremes shot so well in my stw I did the same thing. Bought nosler combined technology bullets. Found an 8lb keg of winchester WXR and used my winchester brass. I load .010 off lands and I run it hot but she likes it. Google 7mm STW Brotherhood and you will find a lot of info and powder choices. Nice looking rifle enjoy it.

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Thanks for all the info, but I don't think I'll get around to loading for this rifle this year because I just got the invoice for my Bowen Custom 45 Colt Bisley. May sell or trade this STW....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1minute, 219DW, 62 invisible), 2,881 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,482
Posts18,490,208
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.