-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
T
T
When I was a student at Michigan Tech, we had an indoor pistol range on campus. I was a range officer for the pistol club. There was another RO watching the firing line and I was working in the office, getting a student outfitted with glasses, hearing protection, ammo, and a Ruger MK II. The student I was helping started talking about shooting his Savage 7mm RM. Said he had chronographed his 175 gr loads at 4400 FPS. I asked him if he meant 2400 FPS from a starting load? He kept on the 4400 fps tale, and claimed he had the chrono printouts to prove it. I laughed and said that any 7mm RM would likely blow the bolt out the back of the rifle long before it could produce 4400 fps with a 175 gr bullet. He said he'd bring in the printouts the next time he came. I laughed some more and said it doesn't matter, because that speed is BS. He tried harder to convince me; but I eventually said that he was either a liar, or an idiot who didn't know how to use his chronograph. At that point he left in a huff. He never did come back when I was working.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
while reading on another thread, the subject reminded me of an incident from several years past;

several years ago, my wife and i would climb the "M" approximately every 2 or 3 days, just to stay in reasonable shape.

on occasion, a friend would join us.

one particular night our friend Pete M. wanted to go, but we both had prior commitments, and couldn't go--and subsequently, Pete went by himself that evening.

after he had climbed the "M" and had come back down, he saw a group of several guys parked down in the lot, and they were partying--according to him--on booze and ditch weed.

they had very deliberately blocked in his car so he couldn't leave, and then started harassing him--shoving him around, and giving him a hard time in general. they had their fun with it for awhile, and after a fashion, they finally let him go--laughing at him as he went to get in his car to leave.

it shook him up aplenty.

a couple days later, while we were headed to climb the "M", he told me about the incident and said, "if you had been along that evening it wouldn't have happened."

i told him, "you know Pete, that's pure BS--what you really needed was the Weasel (scenarshooter), for that situation--not me.

he excitedly replied, "i wanted the Equalizer--not the Terminator!!"

we've all laughed about that remark for years...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well, all this is well and good, and I have run into most of these storys, or their near-match at least. However, on the other side, there are also a very, very few which just happen too actually be True. As an example, I have a buddy some locals like to call "Lyin' Jimmie" because of some of his tales. The problem is, he's the best and most consistent shot I've ever known. He's just a po' country boy, and doesn't look at all the part of a real shootist, but he IS. I've had friends tell me about some of his "lies," and I'd have to tell them that I was THERE and they're actually true. The guy has vision I can't even understand, much less hope for. I've always sought out the best shots I could to shoot with, and it's good advice to anyone. Jimmie was raised on the river banks by his grandpa and grandma, and the first time dark caught him in the woods, he was 8 yrs. old. He shot his first deer at 6. His grandpa hunted and fished for a meager living, had a large garden, and did farm work seasonally for his cash money. His grandpa was a great shot, and taught him to shoot as soon as he could hold a gun up, and he taught him well, too. When grandpa paid for the bullets, he EXPECTED some meat every time the gun fired, except for sighting in or checking the sights after the gun took a blow in the boat or wherever. Lots of these types are no better shots than the rest of us, but ol' Jimmie was a natural, and I'm thankful we've been fast friends for so long. He's a good-hearted fellow and will do all in his power to make a person a better shot. He's very free with advice, and likes a good competition. I've offered him SOME competition, but his eyes were so superior there was just no way I'd be able to beat him very often, but he knew I wouldn't be too far behind, at least, and he liked that.

So ..... despite the fact that you and I both know that 99.9% of these claims, especially the ones about offhand shooting, are as bogus as a whore in church, there ARE a few - maybe 1 in 10,000 - that are really true. One reason I've always respected Jimmie is that he always declares his "scratch" shots as just luck, but he's had so many opportunities, and taken them, that at least SOME of them just HAD to be True, and I know that because I've been witness to some of them, and he's got many, many more that have witnessed too many of his other tales, so ..... if a guy BETS you, and is serious about it, that he can do what he says, it'd be a good idea to think several times before betting any substantial amount and losing it. There ARE some amazing shots among us, and they don't always take kindly to being called liars by people who don't believe anyone else can do what they can't do. The liars will never bet good money on duplicating their feats, so .... the wise will always know how to tell the difference.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My last elk...

[Linked Image]

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You should've backed off some, it would've looked bigger.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Blackwater
I'd have to tell them that I was THERE......

Elmer......is that you?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You sure that wasn't your FIRST elk?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole
You should've backed off some, it would've looked bigger.

laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bearbacker
You sure that wasn't your FIRST elk?

Nope that was the 4th the others were bigger. wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My quail hunting partners smile

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fgold767
Gun show true story:

Guy came by the table last weekend bragging about his AR-15 M-4...told us he could shoot quarter size groups with it using standard 55 grain bullets....at 1000 yds offhand with stock A2 sights...when we asked him how much hold over he was using for the drop he told us his rifle shot flat and he held dead on! When he left us, laughing on the floor of course, we looked up the drop of a Remington 223 55gn with a 100 yd zero: 691.581 " or about 17 FEET! and he held dead on target...a quarter....at 1000yds...
And they buy guns.....

worse yet they vote...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I was pestering a buddy who worked the counter in a local gun store and in walked a sharply dressed man.
"I need a gun that's big enough for a bear"
Do you have something in mind?
"I'm thinkin a .45, my buddy is a cop in Chicago and he recommends a .45"
Do you have a preference in .45s?
"I don't know, I just moved here and we had this friggin bear on the porch last night"
I couldn't keep quiet, "You're from Chicago, you're supposed to like "Da Bears".
He left with no pistol but did have the DOW phone number!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by eh76
My quail hunting partners smile

I bet you have a hard time with muzzle control around them......pun intended.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
my muzzle control there would be like steel and a magnet....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by 280shooter
This one made it to print:
On the '34 trip, I again saw a 7x57 Mauser
fail miserably on mule deer. The president of
KNX's brother-in-law carried this rifle. I for-
got his name. Anyway I got him a shot at an
awful nice buck with a good head at about
250 yards across a gulch. He hit him in the
neck and it took off a vertebra and over an
inch of the spinal cord. The buck dropped
and laid there, and while we were crossing the
gulch he jumped up and took off again. He
hit him again and piled him up, so we got the
buck all right but that 139-grain 7 mm had
failed to do the job. It had cleared the spinal
cord for over an inch and yet it hadn't put
him down to stay. He was able to get up and
run.

It was this sot of thing that caused me to be skeptical of anything Keith wrote..clearly the agenda was that if the vertebrae and inch of spinal cord had been blown away by a 333 OKH and 250 gr whoosis bullet, all would have been well with the world.Sometimes I think he made stuff up just to get a rise out of readers....and push an agenda. Many of his readers believed this nonsense...I bumped into more than few.

Despite his knowledge,I found you really had to sift through his writing to find the truth...this sort of stuff in print destroyed his credibility with lots of folks.

Of course IIRC Keith had little education. And if you re-read that post, it could indicate that the bone off the top of the spine had cleared. It never said it severed the spine at all. ANd since it ran off, you can figure it didn't. Its very possible that the bullet only frag'd off a 1 inch piece of bone.

Which could or could not kill or paralyze the deer.

I"m not saying he didn't lie, but I am saying that its may not mean what folks interpret it to.

And it could be that a larger round/bullet may well have made the difference in that instance. Or not.

Of course if they'd have shot it in the lungs like you are supposed to, it wouldn't have mattered or required a 2nd shot.

Like I said I like some of Keiths theories. And its made me try some shots on targets that I though he was nuts, but you find that you could do if you shot enough probably.

Regardless otehr than a 270 I own I'd never buy a 270. LOL.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Have a local "expert" famous hunter who once wrote up his exploits with recurves (more prestigious than compounds) on big bucks. Funny when we looked at his bow, the rug rest and side plate had NO wear marks! Plus, his stories in the PBS magazine were always identical, except for the buck's current nickname! His eyes would blink when we asked a lot of details about the hunts.
Guess that's why I don't watch TV hunt programs, especially for whitetails! Take most hunting stories with a big grain of salt.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Me and a pard went goose hunting last year...

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Setting out your decoy spread must be a real bitch....

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
[quote=eh76]My quail hunting partners smile

I'm watching the aTm vs Ole MIss game while I scroll through this thread, and the commentators mentioned something about "needing better penetration" just as I saw this picture of my two old girlfriends...

As to the real topic, there's a local BSer who once told me he was hunting horseback and saw a group of elk out in a flat. He allegedly spurred his horse on, catching the elk off guard enough so that he rode right into the group of fleeing elk then pulled out his sidearm and began firing - killing 4 or 5.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i load my guns so hot that i sight them 6in low at 100yds because they are still rising out to 700yds.at 1000-1200yds that put them deadon.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,139
Posts18,484,059
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.