Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SansSouci
The FACT is what that guide said it 100% correct if you took time to analyze what he said. And what that guide said has been said a zillion times before. And all hunters know it's factual.

Wow. And this from a guy who wants to lecture us on the "scientific method." Tell me more, professor.

Prove that I have tried to pawn myself off as expert on anything.

That's not what I said. I said you think you're an expert. And I also said you like to comment on things you know nothing about as if you were an expert. Which is nicely demonstrated by the first quote above.

Or by the past thread on using drones to locate game, you remember that one? The one where you opined at length that drones should be allowed for spotting game and relaying the information to hunters on the ground, because you were against any "new regulations" that infringed on our rights? Remember that? You were ignorant of the fact that using aircraft to spot game and relay the information to hunters on the ground was already illegal, had been for some time, and for good reason. It's no secret and any responsible hunter knows the regulations.

Ignorant of the facts, yet you chose to flap your gums anyway. "Ignorance in action" is a pattern with you.

A miss with a .375 H&H ain't doing anyone any good. A heart shot with a .270 Win and back-breaking work begins. Maybe you can't discern this fact. But it's 100% factual. Moreover, it's also 100% factual that a .243 Win in the boiler room is a whole lot better than an '06 in the guts. A three-year old could understand this FACT, convey it to me, and it'd still be factual.

Now, if you're able to intellectually refute these FACTS, get on it. If you can't, get back to your dope shop and fill your bowl. You are easier on the eyes when you're wasted.

Funny, I don't recall ever arguing about any of those things. Because they're not worth arguing about, just drivel, cliches you read somewhere, most likely Outdoor Life. Maybe Field & Stream?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
smoke,

Tell me the difference between drones and spotters who use electronic communication to inform guides where game is.

The fact is I don't have enough info about drones to proffer a definitive opinion. Neither do you. You think you're expert. But that's what bud will do to you. It'll give you an unrealistic opinion of your abilities.

I'm through with you. Your mind has been burned out from too much of your legal bud. You're deep in a hole and digging furiously. You have contributed nothing remotely intellectual. You demand that your opinion be taken as gospel when it's nothing more that unsupported opinion.

Here's a thought: put your shovel down and try thinking.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Tell me the difference between drones and spotters who use electronic communication to inform guides where game is.

Drones are aircraft, and aircraft are illegal for spotting game, Professor. I'd think someone so well-versed in a fact-based profession and the scientific method could easily discern that fact. Apparently not.

The fact is I don't have enough info about drones to proffer a definitive opinion.

That much is evident, but it didn't stop you before. Why stop now?

And by the way, your continual references to marijuana are telling. Ad hominem attacks are a reliable indicator that the person making them has no arguments or logic left, so thanks for making that clear.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
Originally Posted by rosco1
I like Mule Deer and his work, but the ass kissing he receives on this site is getting old.

As far as the .270 Win and 130s on elk, I've seen it work more than a few times. Even with Wally world special Cup ~n Cores. No issues when lung/heart hit.

I do like my magnums though.

Hey Dick, how did 55 go?? Did I ever mention that the owner of pommerell is a personal friend of mine smile Tought him to trap yotes about 10 years ago, great guy..

Just interested in how you did, they are killing some of the biggest bulls Idaho has ever produced,this year, in that unit on OTC archery tags..Crazy

Saw some great bucks, but had some ground shrinkage on the one I took. I passed up 10 or so that were bigger. I must have seen this guy at a weird angle or something. Still a good buck.
[Linked Image]
Passed up quite a few like this
[Linked Image]
I also saw some great bulls in there. Crazy how just 10 or so years ago there were no elk in that area at all.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'll bet I also saw 1000 sage grouse. It's crazy how many critters are in that area. It was a lot of fun.
Congrats on the buck! I'm heading that way a week from tomorrow. Are you keeping the velvet on or stripping it? I vote on...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mac284338
I recall reading a lot of Jack O'Connor, John Jobson and Russell Annabel in OL when I was a kid. I read every word and as kids do memorized much of it. I have since had 1 or more rifles in many calibers (most larger than .270 but some smaller) and have shot a few head of deer, elk, bear and moose. I get very tired of the many posts I seen asking if XXX is enough gun for deer or elk or whatever. If the caliber is .243 or larger the answer is "YES". It IS where you hit them not necessarily what you hit them with. All of these writers took many more head of game than I and almost all with .270 or less (Mr. Annabel really like the 250-3000 Savage which is quite light by the standards of today). Ask yourself whether you would really like something that kicked less and then swallow your pride and learn to shoot it. You'll wound less game and have more fun in the process.

Mike

NRALife

I have no personal experience with the .270 Winchester. Never have fired one. I've heard they're like feather boas and Cher.

A good friend of mine knows a lot about them, elk, and the 130 grain Sierra Game King. He's killed 19 Bulls with that combination.

He's married

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Married to a woman or man?

Being married doesn't necessarily mean the opposite sex these days, at least in some states!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, a woman.

They live and work at a facility around Ogden, UT founded by a Genius.

I think you know him

whistle

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ah, yes! I believe I do.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He hunts for a living. Pisses me off!

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
smoke,

Mule Deer's job is to sell his employer's magazine. If he can't do that he'll be looking for another job.

Tell me what you about about scientific methodology. Are you under the impression that shooting bullets into media is scientific? Shooting big game is scientific?

About the best both are is anecdotal. Neither are empirical. Both fall woefully shy of scientific. Therefore, Mule Deer's testing is entertainment.

Smoke, it might help were you to become familiar with scientific methodology. That way you'll be able to tell the difference between science & entertainment.

Jus' sayin'...

A learned man (such as yourself) would actually know what empirical evidence really means. You obviously don't know and you are not going to fool anyone.

Knowledge you gain from observation or experimentation (AKA: finding [bleep] out for yourself). Results can be garnered by shooting into media or game therefore they are empirical. Or do you still think people like JB just pull schitt out of their azz just to "sell" magazines...
To be "scientific", the method must be based on empirical and measurable evidence. such as shooting into media and/or big game animals, developing/testing loads, etc, etc.

Anything else you have to offer, Professor?

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Rick,

Yeah, people who hunt for a living tend to generate that kind f feeling! And I have yet to meet one of those hunters who would rather be, say, a stockbroker.

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by rosco1
I like Mule Deer and his work, but the ass kissing he receives on this site is getting old.

As far as the .270 Win and 130s on elk, I've seen it work more than a few times. Even with Wally world special Cup ~n Cores. No issues when lung/heart hit.

I do like my magnums though.

Hey Dick, how did 55 go?? Did I ever mention that the owner of pommerell is a personal friend of mine smile Tought him to trap yotes about 10 years ago, great guy..

Just interested in how you did, they are killing some of the biggest bulls Idaho has ever produced,this year, in that unit on OTC archery tags..Crazy

Saw some great bucks, but had some ground shrinkage on the one I took. I passed up 10 or so that were bigger. I must have seen this guy at a weird angle or something. Still a good buck.
[Linked Image]
Passed up quite a few like this
[Linked Image]
I also saw some great bulls in there. Crazy how just 10 or so years ago there were no elk in that area at all.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'll bet I also saw 1000 sage grouse. It's crazy how many critters are in that area. It was a lot of fun.
Congrats on the buck! I'm heading that way a week from tomorrow. Are you keeping the velvet on or stripping it? I vote on...

Yep, congrats on the buck..And as for the elk, these ARE the good old days.

Where you headed pointer?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pointer, the velvet is still on, but it is kind of thin and I wore some of it off while getting him out.

Roscoe, the amount of elk in S Idaho and Wyoming right now is absolutely absurd. Utah too from what I hear.Western Montana??? Not so much.

Pointer, I assume you will be hunting with our mutual friend?

Last edited by Dog_Hunter; 09/26/14. Reason: sp

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

You'll wound less game and have more fun in the process.

Mike

NRALife

I was following everything you said until the last sentence. I call bs since it's pretty ridiculous. It may be true for you, but not for many others here. I get along just fine with a good magnum. On the bench, in field positions and on game. The last sentence in your post is like spreading schit over a good cake.

Yep. I love my 270 winnys, but I shoot a magnum without issue, and shoot them often. They do work better at less-than-perfect angles on big, heavy stuff.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by CLB
smoke,

Mule Deer's job is to sell his employer's magazine. If he can't do that he'll be looking for another job.

Tell me what you about about scientific methodology. Are you under the impression that shooting bullets into media is scientific? Shooting big game is scientific?

About the best both are is anecdotal. Neither are empirical. Both fall woefully shy of scientific. Therefore, Mule Deer's testing is entertainment.

Smoke, it might help were you to become familiar with scientific methodology. That way you'll be able to tell the difference between science & entertainment.

Jus' sayin'...

A learned man (such as yourself) would actually know what empirical evidence really means. You obviously don't know and you are not going to fool anyone.

Knowledge you gain from observation or experimentation (AKA: finding [bleep] out for yourself). Results can be garnered by shooting into media or game therefore they are empirical. Or do you still think people like JB just pull schitt out of their azz just to "sell" magazines...
To be "scientific", the method must be based on empirical and measurable evidence. such as shooting into media and/or big game animals, developing/testing loads, etc, etc.

Anything else you have to offer, Professor?

Hi CLB,

Well, let's take a look at where you might have lefted when you ought to righted; that way, you'll have a clue of empirical and anecdotal"

"Empirical evidence is information that is acquired by observation or experimentation. This data is recorded and analyzed by scientists and is a central process as part of the scientific method.

The scientific method begins with scientists forming questions and then acquiring the knowledge to either support or disprove a specific theory. That is where the collection of empirical data comes into play.

Before any piece of empirical data is collected, scientists carefully design their research methods to ensure the accuracy, quality and integrity of the data. If there are flaws in the way that empirical data is collected, the research will not be considered valid."

Taken from here.

So, before empirical data can be collected, we're gonna need a controlled environment, a criterion missing in blasting holes in media.

Then we have anecdotal evidence. Hold on. It gets better:

Anecdotal evidence has several definitions, which usually relate to how certain types of evidence cannot be used to logically conclude something. We see examples of this type of evidence all the time in commercials. A person tells us how their breath feels fresher after using a certain brand of toothpaste, or people testify to the clearing of their acne as a result of special products. This type of evidence is often used in place of clinical or scientific evidence, and may completely ignore research or harder evidence that points to an opposite conclusion.

Types of anecdotal evidence include claiming non-factual information based on the experiences of a few people, stories that would seem to contradict factual information, and word of mouth recommendations. This type of information isn�t always poorly intended or untrue, and we base a lot of decisions on anecdotes. For instance, you might want to find the best dry cleaner in town and ask a few friends to recommend someone. You usually don�t have time to perform true scientific testing on this by looking at a range of data.

We take other recommendations from non-experts all of the time. We may base our decisions about which doctors to see, who should baby-sit our kids, what travel agency we ought to use, or where we should stay on vacation solely or at least partly on advice. This advice usually doesn�t come from people who are qualified to give an expert opinion on the matter.

Taken from here.

Hence, when you tell me that chronic is better than Thai Stix, that would be anecdotal, for there is no attempt to control your smoke_bowling. See, when you find chit out on your own by comparing Chronic to Thai Stix, what you get in anecdotal. Were you able to control your smoke_bowling, you might be able to smoke up empirical data. Now were you able to develop a hypothesis and test for it with a control & text group, then you'd have cause & effect otherwise know as knowledge, which, at this time, you're suffering extreme paucity.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Types of anecdotal evidence include claiming non-factual information based on the experiences of a few people, stories that would seem to contradict factual information, and word of mouth recommendations.

You mean, like word of mouth recommendations from your guide? What empirical data do you think he recorded when he made his scientific observations? Please expand on that, professor.

So, before empirical data can be collected, we're gonna need a controlled environment, a criterion missing in blasting holes in media.

This quote proves that your moronity is complete. The reason people test bullets in media is precisely because all the variables can be controlled unlike in the field. Distance of the shot, velocity, consistency/density of the media, angle of impact, and so on. As someone so proficient in a "fact-based profession," you're terribly inept when confronted with actual facts.

If he has a problem with me, he ought to disclose it rather than going at it as a pus$y.

I just realized you used the word "pus$y," I missed that the first time. Thanks for proving my point yet again, that's just one more example of you talking about something you know nothing about.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SansSouci:

Sounds like the extent of your research education is googling...

So please share with us what at what university you studied experimental design, and how many peer-reviewed scientific research studies you have had published.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 1Deernut

Mike

NRALife

I was following everything you said until the last sentence. I call bs since it's pretty ridiculous. It may be true for you, but not for many others here. I get along just fine with a good magnum. On the bench, in field positions and on game. The last sentence in your post is like spreading schit over a good cake.

Yep. I love my 270 winnys, but I shoot a magnum without issue, and shoot them often. They do work better at less-than-perfect angles on big, heavy stuff.

I am really starting to like the 270 win as well. However, I've always had a magnum of some sort: 300 wby, 300 win, 338 win, 375 H&H etc... I get a kick out of shooting them and am utterly bored with the small stuff. Once again, for some of these guys to suggest you'll make a poor shot with a magnum and make a good shot with a small caliber rifle on game is just ludicrous. You put the crosshair on the vitals and pull the trigger. Same same regardless of what caliber of rifle you are shooting. A bullet in the guts with any pill is not good as far as I'm concerned. I'm not going to hold it against anyone that can't handle a magnum caliber, but don't tell me I'm going to miss what I'm aiming at just because I pack one... wink Not directed at you 1deernut, but the sansucki types....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I am really starting to like the 270 win as well. However, I've always had a magnum of some sort: 300 wby, 300 win, 338 win, 375 H&H etc... I get a kick out of shooting them and am utterly bored with the small stuff. Once again, for some of these guys to suggest you'll make a poor shot with a magnum and make a good shot with a small caliber rifle on game is just ludicrous. You put the crosshair on the vitals and pull the trigger. Same same regardless of what caliber of rifle you are shooting. A bullet in the guts with any pill is not good as far as I'm concerned. I'm not going to hold it against anyone that can't handle a magnum caliber, but don't tell me I'm going to miss what I'm aiming at just because I pack one... wink Not directed at you 1deernut, but the sansucki types....

I shoot a ton of magnums, maybe not really big ones, but the 338 Win Mag and 35 Newton class rifles quite alot. There isn't much difference to me between those and my smaller bore rifles. You have to shoot them correctly and with good form. If you "limp wrist" them, they'll tear you up.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1Deernut

Mike

NRALife

BSA,
Understood and I agree wholeheartedly. I own more rifles than one man should, and I shoot them all regularly. I've used magnums extensively to kill everything from crows and prairie dogs to bears and about everything between. I shoot magnums as well as I shoot 22 rimfires. Funny, the 3 guys I do the bulk of my hunting and shooting with do as well. I guess we are SPECIAL! blush

Last edited by 1Deernut; 09/27/14.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

294 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 33 invisible), 1,755 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,468
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.