Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Just point out that there is a lot of stuff that is not included. The bowhunting stuff goes beyond bowhunting. You have to read the books to know why. They are actually more involved in the process of being there.
That is a bit of a big difference from books on guns like the repair manuals developed by Baker, Howe and Dunlap. Its more of an existential trip that the archery selections that I listed should go on a classic list.

Sincerely,
Thomas

GB1

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Just point out that there is a lot of stuff that is not included. The bowhunting stuff goes beyond bowhunting. You have to read the books to know why. They are actually more involved in the process of being there.
That is a bit of a big difference from books on guns like the repair manuals developed by Baker, Howe and Dunlap. Its more of an existential trip that the archery selections that I listed should go on a classic list.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Well, why didn't ya just say so? grin Just give us some titles to go with the authors. Taylor was on there, by the way. I can't edit the very first post anymore as the editing feature has expired, so I'm doing it day by day.

I see what you're talking about with respect to the bow hunting titles: more about the hunt itself than technical information. There is, interestingly, a section on Fred Bear in "The Last Ivory Hunter." He was an amazing archer and hunter. I remember watching him knock pheasants out of the sky on ABC's "American Sportsman" years and years ago. I always wanted to visit his factory in Gainesville, but never got the chance.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Rev,you forgot to add Elgin Gates books. Trophy Hunter in Africa,Trophy Hunter in Asia.

Need you to say three hail Ingwes. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Got 'em. But good Lord let's not give Ingwe anything more to crow about!

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Sorry for the late answer,I was on Gunbroker looking at 6.5x55 rifles. In particularly Winchester Featherweights. smile

Ingwe will crow about anything under the sun. Might as well throw the OLD (REALLY,REALLY OLD) boy a bone or two,that way he knows he's not forgotten. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I just don't want to encourage him. He's bad enough as it is!

You gonna buy one?

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Ingwe is harmless,but don't tell him that. whistle grin

As far as buying a 6.5x55,don't know. The .264" is the only caliber I've not played with. Owned a .260 Rem for a short while (3-6 months IIRC) and that's all of the .264" caliber's.

Just seeing how much they go for.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I don't dare look.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Live a little Sport. Just like looking at the scantily clad ladies,I can look but not touch! wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Live a little Sport. Just like looking at the scantily clad ladies,I can look but not touch! wink

O, I've been looking!

http://westleyrichards.com/new-guns/bolt-action-rifles

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Quit posting that link! cry

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Quit posting that link! cry

A man can look!! cry

If I sold everything I owned I still wouldn't have enough for just the case.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If I won the lotto, that would be my first stop. My second stop would be Tanzania.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
You got that right!

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
By the way, Ingwe: don't you live in Montana? How far are you from Bozeman?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I am 90 miles from Bozeman. Headed down there next week for a K9 school.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Well, you know WR has a showroom there, right?

By the way, if you go to the WR website and click the "Blog" tag, Simon Clode has some great pics from his recent safari in Tanzania.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
WR in Bozeman is closed. Checked them last time in town. Time before that, I went in. Every rifle was ornately engraved and inlaid. I asked if they didn't have any utility grade guns. They didn't.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Dang. Guess we'll have to fly to Birmingham when you hit the lotto.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
A Westley Richards bolt action in .318 WR would be the cat's meow! smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,663
Posts18,493,666
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.