Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
It's tough trying to come back when you've lost all credibility,isn't it?

It's a bed you made. You get to lay in it.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
damn you can't even video an abortion clinic you want to blow up?

and they call this a free country? (where's that freakin sarcasm emoticon gotten to?)

If the cop knew the guy had been convicted of such plots in the past, why didn't he simply detain him, following which the man said he'd comply by showing his ID. Assuming he was a bomb plotter, however, does that justify abuse of authority by the police? I'm certain that if cops threw out all the laws restricting their conduct, they could stumble on all sorts of criminal activities, but that's not the sort of society in which most would want to live.

geez TRH c'mon, unless the cop was Dionne Warwick, how the hell is he sposed to know whether the guy had ever had a conviction in the past?

here's the way I see it, I'm filming the joint, cause I really like the building or I'm gonna open up my own abortion clinic or whatever reason.

the abortion clinic has been threatened in the past, most likely one of their employees called it in.

so cop shows up, asks for ID, show it to him and he asks me why I'm filming the place, I give him my reason...no problemo

and while it may be wrong in your eyes the fact that this guy got roughed up a bit won't cause me to lose any sleep this evening.

azzhole needs to be in jail
Bad guys getting roughed up isn't the issue. The issue is cops roughing people up in the process of abusing their authority. The laws aren't there to protect the guilty, but the innocent. If you give cops the discretion to determine with whom they will abuse their authority and with whom they won't, then lots of innocent folks are going to get roughed up, or worse, as well, not just bad guys. That's why the rules restricting cop behavior are there, and are meant to be applied to both the guilty and the innocent.

How is this not a proper Terry stop?

That question has been asked repeatedly, and you've yet to answer.

In the course of a proper Terry stop, the suspect began flailing around and the rest followed.

If the Terry stop is invalid, then you have a point. If it is a valid stop, then you have no point at all.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by ltppowell

I can't see the video and am curious. What was the guy taking video of?

Looks like there are some people in front of the white building wearing nothing but orange towels. At least one is female. In other words, something most guys would video.

As for the officer, he clearly states he is searching the guy for weapons. This is clearly a violation of US v Terry as the officer clearly states he does not suspect the individual has committed, or is about to commit a crime and just wants to check him for warrants.

Wrong. Read the Terry decision and subsequent cases. This is a classic Terry stop.

I've read Terry several times. Of course if the call came in as "Hey that guy we have a restraining order against is outside filming our location", that changes the facts, and they would have a reason to believe he was breaking the law, and conduct a Terry stop.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, if the call came in as "we have a strange person outside video taping everything here and with an anti-abortion placard and T-shirt on", how would that not still justify a Terry stop? Please explain how this falls outside of the Terry stop justification of a suspicious person or a person whose activities are suspicious given time, place, or circumstances?

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by tjm10025
It was a proper Terry stop, as explained in the other thread (that you are avoiding, quite obviously). During a Terry stop, the officers have the proper authority to frisk the subject for weapons (as upheld by the SCOTUS many times). During that proper frisk, the subject flailed around enough to warrant arrest for disorderly conduct and 2nd degree assault.

I'm sure Hawkeye knows perfectly well why the guy was arrested. This is one of Hawkeye's snow jobs, where he wants people to believe the guy was arrested merely because he refused to show his ID.

That would be intentionally presenting a position that is factually incorrect. Would that be the same as a lie?

You could try challenging Hawkeye to explain why his position should not be considered dishonest - a lie, if you will.

All you'll get back from Hawkeye is a long, convoluted explanation that the Terry frisk in this case was pretextual and therefore invalid. IOW, the officer was offended by the guy's initial refusal to hand over his ID, and so he invented a bogus reason for being concerned enough to initiate a Terry stop, leading to the frisk.

So, you could call Hawkeye a liar, but he'll come right back and call you a liar for calling him a liar, because he, Hawkeye, was merely commenting on the validity of this Terry frisk, not the validity of Terry frisks in all cases.

And then he'll say you are not intelligent enough to follow his reasoning, you need to do your homework, and your reading skills could use some improvement.

I would call him a unreliable reporter of facts, though. That's pretty hard for him to refute.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I've read Terry several times.

Terry is merely the start. To truly get a handle on Terry issues, you have to read the important state supreme court decisions (for each state) to see how its applied in greater detail, in different factual situations.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
So, if the call came in as "we have a strange person outside video taping everything here and with an anti-abortion placard and T-shirt on", how would that not still justify a Terry stop? Please explain how this falls outside of the Terry stop justification of a suspicious person or a person whose activities are suspicious given time, place, or circumstances?

For a Terry stop the officer must believe "mischief is foot" i.e. that the person is committing, or about to commit a crime. Speech in the form of a T-shirt and filming are activities covered under the first amendment, so a call saying "this person is out here exercising multiple First Amendment rights, I want you to come out here and search him" is a little more problematic.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

For a Terry stop the officer must believe "mischief is foot" i.e. that the person is committing, or about to commit a crime. Speech in the form of a T-shirt and filming are activities covered under the first amendment, so a call saying "this person is out here exercising multiple First Amendment rights, I want you to come out here and search him" is a little more problematic.

Laughin'...

Not if he's suspected of violating a fugging restraining order it ain't.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe if the dumbazz would have shown his ID and not been such a Prick, there would not have been a problem. Got what he deserved.

Why was he filming? A lot of you people say that he had the right to film. I bet if the camera was pointed at you, you would say that your right to privacy was being infringed. I would no more like a person standing there filming me as I would a damned drone flying overhead, doing the filming.
would actually want to shoot the damned thing down.

That guy was there for one reason and that was to harass people.
He got what he wanted. Too bad that he did not get a tad more.
I bet that nothing much happened to him. He was just a crying and screaming little wimp, acting it up for the camera.

Last edited by ford8n; 09/30/14.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
It's textbook Terry.

I can assure you he won't put it before a jury.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B3

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well, a lot of the guess work would be removed from the debate if someone were to obtain a copy of the police report.

TRH?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Context is everything. The officers only need "reasonable suspicion" that the subject may be engaged in current or planned criminal activity.

In this case, we don't know what the officers did or did not know prior to the engagement. What we do know is that they repeatedly asked for identification. A reasonable assumption, being that this is a rather small population area in MD and that the clinic in question has been a literal target of the suspect before, is that the officers suspected that the person was in fact Jr and in violation of parole and court orders. His refusal to produce identification further exacerbated the situation (as producing ID would have resulted in him being arrested regardless).

A Terry stop simply needs reasonable suspicion of engagement in current or planned criminal activity. Making the case that video taping a clinic that has once before been the target of a bomb and shooting plot raises questions about planned criminal activity doesn't take much of a leap, does it? That reasonable suspicion justifies a Terry stop.

Now, how much would you like to bet that the officers were receiving information from dispatch that the clinic in question had been a target before of a particular person and the description of that person was being relayed out to the officers on the scene? Does THAT justify a Terry stop? Certainly.

A call as what I stated, from a clinic that has been the target of a bombing and shooting plot before, would justify a Terry stop of the individual in question. Please explain how it would not? That set of facts is about the most benign plausible in this situation (generic call from a clinic previously targeted). Any additional facts inserted into the situation simply makes the justification for the stop stronger.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
well, a lot of the guess work would be removed from the debate if someone were to obtain a copy of the police report.

TRH?

You expect TRH to believe a police report?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by SShooterZ
Originally Posted by RWE
He was taking video outside the abortion clinic on greenbelt road in Berwyn Heights, maryland.

Here if the streetview doesn't load, go to it, and you'll see that its the same locale.

Well done sir. Nailed it!

This guy obviously has a screw loose and the clinic folks probably knew it was him from the git-go.

The clinic employees may not have known, but they certainly could have and likely did suspect that it was him or someone like him, thus prompting the call the cops. That prompted the cops to respond and execute a proper and legitimate Terry stop, during which the nutcase flailed around, resisted, and got himself popped for an assault charge. The violation of parole and court order charges came down after they had a proper ID on him.

Also, is some states, such as Colorado, Stop and ID is the Law. In CO if a cop asks for your papers you have to provide them.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE

TRH?

You expect TRH to believe a police report?

Hell, I took his shoddy propaganda OP at face value for a while.

It's the least he could do.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 4auger
Now, how much would you like to bet that the officers were receiving information from dispatch that the clinic in question had been a target before of a particular person and the description of that person was being relayed out to the officers on the scene?

I'll bet your left nut they knew exactly who they were dealing with before they asked for his ID.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Highly likely.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RWE

Hell, I took his shoddy propaganda OP at face value for a while.

Embarrassing, isn't it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Highly likely.

Have you noticed he has ignored the calling out of his carrying weapons on school property

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Have you noticed he has ignored the calling out of his carrying weapons on school property

That's the second time I've asked him about that, and I know he peeks at my posts.

I doubt he'll ever answer, even if you quote me in one of yours.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 61 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,435 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,173
Posts18,484,607
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.