Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Sometimes we use the high shoulder shot for a couple reasons.. I always use it if a lung shot animal could rush to a steep canyon or heavy brush like alders, second often the game an fish issues permits or licenses for private land.. If I have permission to hunt on one ranch and not the next, it is my shot of choice..

Molon Labe
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Half way up the body, straight through shoulder bone is my cup of tea. If quartering, I at least try to break one shoulder down.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Could you illustrate that in some way? I'm picturing that you would have to shoot quite a bit forward on that shot, if it was standing dead broadside.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
The trouble with the "high shoulder shot" is that if you aren't careful and hit too high, the animal will go down all right, but they can often get up and run off.
If he's a perfet broadside, I like to aim a 1/3 the way up the chest just behind the front leg. That takes out alot of blood vessels. If he's angling away, I try for the far shoulder. If he's angling to me, the near shoulder is a very deadly shot. I've had several go right down with that hit.
The straight going away shot works quite well with a good premium bullet and "root of the tail shot." E

This^^^, cause it works if I miss. A little low or a little high, a little fro or a little back doesn't matter cause I still get the rack and meat in the sack.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

I keep reading about the high shoulder shot. But when it actually comes time to pull the trigger, I just can not quite put the cross hair there.

Both of these bulls were mobile for a minute or so. They just did not feel like going very far. The scapula and foreleg bones were not hit in either case.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'd say that top pic hit is about perfect. If something is close enough and I can hit the spine I'll just take a neck shot and save the front of the back strap.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by eyeball

I'd say that top pic hit is about perfect. If something is close enough and I can hit the spine I'll just take a neck shot and save the front of the back strap.

[Linked Image]

Yeah, not bad for 375 yds. grin

Like I stated above, no bones were hit. The entrance hole shown is from my 2'nd shot, which does not demonstrate the downward angle of the trajectory from my shooting position. That bullet went through the aortic arch. The first shot hit just a bit lower from the other side.

After the first shot the bull tried to run up a steep mountain and just could not do it. He then turned around and presented his right side to me and I put another 162 gr Hornady into him as shown in the photo

Then he started walking away from me and I dropped a third bullet into him through the pocket in front of the right hip bone. The third bullet penetrated through the liver dead center and was found under the skin of the left ribs.

He stepped out of sight and walked another thirty or forty yards before he fell over.

So, yes, I can see the desire to break a shoulder and anchor game, especially elk. I just can not pull off of the heart shot when he is in my cross hairs.

Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by Oheremicus

If he's a perfet broadside, I like to aim a 1/3 the way up the chest just behind the front leg. That takes out alot of blood vessels. If he's angling away, I try for the far shoulder. If he's angling to me, the near shoulder is a very deadly shot. I've had several go right down with that hit.
The straight going away shot works quite well with a good premium bullet and "root of the tail shot." E

This^^^, cause it works if I miss. A little low or a little high, a little fro or a little back doesn't matter cause I still get the rack and meat in the sack.

That is pretty much the way I prefer to do it. From whatever the angle is, I look to put the bullet through the heart.

The bullet hole in the pic is actually about six inches higher than I would have preferred. But it still went through the aorta and the bull was fully bled out into the thoracic cavity.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Half way up, or even slightly above, and right in line with the front leg...

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I,can't but I like to eat.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by EricM
A few illustrations I found on the web:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image] <--- seems a little low to me
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

and last....

[Linked Image]

Carlos, look at the top picture. See how the cross-hairs are actually on the spine??

CNS shot will drop them in their tracks every time.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Could you illustrate that in some way? I'm picturing that you would have to shoot quite a bit forward on that shot, if it was standing dead broadside.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Half way up the body, straight through shoulder bone is my cup of tea. If quartering, I at least try to break one shoulder down.

^^^^ Me too.^^^^

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take out the pump and they don't go anywhere.

[Linked Image]

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
�.

I like the idea of being able to chose to drop one in its tracks without having to resort to head shots, so I'd like figure out exactly what the best way to achieve this is. I try to envision exactly where the joints and bones lie in live creatures, but I'm not sure I'd have the confidence right now to say for certain that I could place it perfectly. Any help?

1/3 of the way down from the top line of the back, on the crease of the shoulder and neck, quartering towards the hunter is optimal.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Nice pics, thanks.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
My personal issue with the shot is there is not as much room for error. Left and right you might be ok. Low you are fine. Hihger and its flesh wound city.

To each their own. I"ve long said if you want DRT, then hit the CNS. The high shoulder does that. The head, IMHO gives as larg or larger of a target and does the same and no meat waste.

I can see the use for CNS in some instances too, I've never been in one where I cared if they ran a bit though. But I can understand it.

And my very last shot lately was front of the shoulder breaking neck exiting behind shoulder. Due to the angle of the animal and it did get the CNS but would have worked even if it missed the spine. I'm more concerned with margins for fatal error mostly over DRT.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
Take out the pump and they don't go anywhere.

[Linked Image]

I love that shot. but we've had em go many places with that same shot. Heart gone, but its amazing at times how much ground they can cover. Of course finding em typically isn't hard...

In fact I can't recall many heart shots that were DRT

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Nice pics, thanks.

You're welcome.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Taking out the back end of the heart removes both suction and power sides of the pump, leaving blood pressure fairly high. They can run a very long way sometimes.

Take out the Aorta and the suction side of the pump keeps working and the critter is down and bled out in just a few heart beats. They might take a single step, maybe two...

The brown bear Riley shot this spring at 150 yards was hit twice in the heart and went about 100 yards before piling up and rolling downhill about another 100 yards.

Those 80gr TTSXs are wicked brown bear medicine!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"ve cut the aorta off with broadheads and they still make a dash..... each animal is individual.

Your work with 80s puts them on the list for my 257 wtby some day. 100s working fine so far though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
xxclaro,

One thing that sometimes goes overlooked on the high-shoulder / CNS shots is to make sure the @ss of the animal collapses first on impact. Generally, (I say that because someone will inevitably provide an exception grin) straight down or front first...reload and proceed with caution.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (17CalFan, 222Sako, 1234, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 3,167 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,707
Posts18,534,829
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.