B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ted Nuggent hunting in CA again?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fine him 10.00 or 10 days in jail sent him to tracking school and tell him not to do it again.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I can't say what he would or should get in Cali, but in MT it would go like this:
The first elk is unlawful to possess, you may only pickup antlers from dead elk that have died naturally. Before any one says that there is no way to prove it... well he confessed.
Count I: unlawful possession of a trophy elk.
Elk was unlawfully in his possession and he bragged about it. If actual trophy it would be a felony here. Mandatory 36 months loss of privileges and $8000 statutory restitution. Fines of up to $50,000 and prison up to 5 years. Would probably pay $2500 to $5000 depending on financial status and be put on probation for 5 years.

Count II: overlimit- fine of $300-$1000 and loss of privileges for 24 months. Restitution of $1000.
He should loose both antler racks and the meat.

If his biggest concern was his hunting privileges then I would agree to only recommend the minimum 3 years but he would pay a a respectable fine, full restitution and be on probation for the full 5 years.

Should he probably get more, yes. Will defense counsel argue for less and cry that defendant is a poor misunderstood choir boy that just had a momentary lapse of judgment, Yes. Is the penalty enough to alter behavior?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
Mandatory 36 months loss of privileges and $8000 statutory restitution. Fines of up to $50,000 and prison up to 5 years. Would probably pay $2500 to $5000 depending on financial status and be put on probation for 5 years.

Wonder why financial status matters?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Because to some a $5000 fine is pocket change, while to others it's 25% of their yearly income

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Snyper

Because to some a $5000 fine is pocket change, while to others it's 25% of their yearly income

So, what your saying is, the punishment boils down to revenue.

I live in a small county, and law enforcement here from the SO and local PD is not aggressive, they mostly write reports and hap hazardly f*ck with dope dealers that don't pay the right people, it's got more to do with politics and getting re-elected than any thing. The game wardens are another story, those guys are relentless in their pursuit of ANYTHING that may even be partially construed as illegal. They will prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law for hunting 99 yards from corn (100 is legal), I wonder why that is?

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
So we are now voting on the internet as to what appropriate punishments should be?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Gut it....take the carcaus to a freezer locker and make him crawl up inside and sleep there every night for a week....posting a guard to make certain of total compliance!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
He knew he was doing wrong from the get-go. "fanatical hunter" say's a lot. I'll bet he has done things like this before, just has not been caught till now.
Throw the book at him!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by haverluk
No excuse for that. A 5 minute phone call to an enforcement officer when he found his "lost" elk would have put him in a better place. Instead you have two dead elk and a guy bragging about his hunting prowess.

What would you (the prosecution) have done if he had cleanly taken a first elk and put it in his freezer and then went out and took another? I consider this the same situation.

I vote for 3 years suspension, seize and donate the meat, take his bow, the antlers, max state fines for each animal taken, and potentially his truck if he used it to haul out the 2nd elk.

Harsh absolutely, but he knew what did was ethically wrong and probably illegal from the time he didn't tag the fist set of antlers.

This, IMHO.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd go 5 years on suspension. Start at 1k in fines then add in market value of animal. IE: 300#'s of meat at $6 per= $1800+ $1000= $2800 in total fines.

To me, the license suspension is primary.

I don't like the idea of confiscation of equipment.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ok I live in California and I know how hard it is to draw one of these tags or any special tag.

I'd be willing to bet 100-to-1 this is NOT this Azzhat's first rodeo! (Did F&G think to look for a large stash of Deer antlers?) Probably to late to do so now.
Look at his circumstances, ie income-does his wife work-mouths to feed & clothe at home, you don't want to punish any kids for his transgressions.

Impose:
Maximum fine.
Jail time in the form of 26 weekends- cleaning up roadsides or graffiti.
Confiscation of actual bow & gear used- I'll bet there's pictures.
TOTAL LIFETIME BAN FROM ANY SPECIAL HUNTS&TAGS.
Minimum 5 year hunting ban, 10 or more preferred, with lifetime ban guarantee for any F&G violation down the road.
I don't know if California is part of the western F&G alliance where a hunting ban in one state results in same in the others. If so, it should be applied.

Last edited by DesertSandman; 10/02/14.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by Snyper

So, what your saying is, the punishment boils down to revenue.

I live in a small county, and law enforcement here from the SO and local PD is not aggressive, they mostly write reports and hap hazardly f*ck with dope dealers that don't pay the right people, it's got more to do with politics and getting re-elected than any thing. The game wardens are another story, those guys are relentless in their pursuit of ANYTHING that may even be partially construed as illegal. They will prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law for hunting 99 yards from corn (100 is legal), I wonder why that is?

First, most states prohibit enforcement of fines against indigent defendants.
Second, the purpose of imposing a fine is to change behavior. The government has only a few tools to make someone change behavior. Some people respond to different tools. Jail, fines, community service, treatment programs, maybe a couple other lesser used tools. Jails are expensive and overcrowded and reserved for people that won't change. It costs tax dollars to house a person that may care little about going to jail. For most people a fine is embarrassing and penalizing enough to change their behavior. If not, then second offenses warrant a different tool.
You can have an ax against game wardens but the defendant in this case made a conscious decision to kill two elk in a special district. Hardly a 99 yards from corn infraction.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
What are the odds, a bow hunter that can't find his kill.

Met lots that have the attitude of 'I expect to lose some'

Fairly low around here. About the same as what I hear from non bowhunters with "modern" weapons.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One thing I forgot to add, confiscate the 'Ivory' too! Leave him NO momentoes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Intentional acts, so about $5K, no trophies, and no hunting for 5 years including reciprocity across all of the US.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/02/14.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
While people who plead guilty to attempted murder are getting 6 monthes probation.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ltppowell
While people who plead guilty to attempted murder are getting 6 monthes probation.

Yep . . . . . . . that's two things in the last 6 months . . . .lol

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Somehow the prosecutor soliciting opinions in this manor doesn't quite feel right. Does the defendant know that you're using this as part of figuring out his penalty?

But, heavy fines, loss of license for 5 years, mandatory class, and some form of wildlife public service seem in order. Seems like the wildlife service stuff might be something he could do for the 5 years that he doesn't have a license.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by haverluk
No excuse for that. A 5 minute phone call to an enforcement officer when he found his "lost" elk would have put him in a better place. Instead you have two dead elk and a guy bragging about his hunting prowess.

What would you (the prosecution) have done if he had cleanly taken a first elk and put it in his freezer and then went out and took another? I consider this the same situation.

I vote for 3 years suspension, seize and donate the meat, take his bow, the antlers, max state fines for each animal taken, and potentially his truck if he used it to haul out the 2nd elk.

Harsh absolutely, but he knew what did was ethically wrong and probably illegal from the time he didn't tag the fist set of antlers.

I also agree with this. Those tags are nearly impossible to draw, and he got very greedy. I'm sure he was convinced he got cheated somehow when he didn't find the first elk and rationalized killing a second.

It doesn't work that way. smirk

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1beaver_shooter, 257man, 222ND, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,600 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,691
Posts18,534,514
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.