-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I had a really good day hunting for mule deer in Utah. One thing that made it special is at age 57 I'm still able to git 'er done.

All my hunting buddies had left so once again I was on my own. I took the long way in, hiked up a mountain (a big hill), shot a buck with my muzzleloader, and dragged it down ... by myself.

I know that some of you may not think of this a great accomplishment but it makes this old fart happy. It was day five of the hunt so I settled for a forked horn. I'd been holding out for a bigger buck, passed on a 3x0 (it was missing one half) on the first day and it was time to bring home some meat. That and I figured if I was going to drag one off the hill this was the perfect size. grin

I shot it at the top of the ridge on the grassy knoll from the same rock I took another buck three years ago.
[Linked Image]

Tender tasty vittlles smile
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cool !

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats!! Looks like ya center punched him smile
Im going to be 52 in December and I hear what your sayin about getting old.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by fish head
I shot it at the top of the ridge on the grassy knoll......

Uh-oh......

And I've got news for you, 57 is not even close to old fart age, you've gotta be "Ingwe-old" to be an old fart.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Congrats on your success. Nice when the plan
works out. Good shootin'.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
well dang! Good on ya, fish face. smile

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And we all thought you'd taken off to finally get that sex change operation you've been saving for....

Well done Fish.!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Getting older does give new meaning to the term "shot placement".

Q: Where's the best place to shoot a deer or an elk?

A: Near the truck!

Congratulations, that's a fine deer. I've drug'em uphill and downhill, and downhill is always better. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Pretty good for a young whipper snapper.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'd say you had a great day! Good shooting, too. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The spot where I took the pic of the ridge is where I usually sit in the morning. I've cut branches from a dead tree to open up a shooting lane and made a ground blind from tufts of grass and piled rocks behind me to block my profile. It's a great spot to sit and the first buck I shot there was only 40 yards away.

I'd seen several groups of does move up and out of the area through a saddle behind the knoll so I hiked up to the rock and settled in. It wasn't long before a group of five does and yearlings with a forked horn following walked by at 30 yards. I stood up and shot but I had the first hangfire I've ever had with my Omega. When I squeezed the trigger it went fffft-boom. The rifle recoiled at the fffft and through the shot off. All the deer just stood there while I reloaded and while I was stuffing the bullet down the tube they walked off.

I went over to where the buck was, followed the tracks, and there was no sign of blood. I remember seeing oak branches at second recoil (the boom) so it was a clean miss.

I went back to the rock, sat down, and a couple of minutes later here comes another group of does with a forky following. I don't know for sure if it was the same group of deer but I figured fate was giving me a second chance. I laid the rifle on the rock, put the crosshairs behind the shoulder ... boom ... bang flop. It was a 54 yard easy chip shot.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice job Fish head.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1minute, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 64 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,160
Posts18,484,333
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.