Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I do not know one from the other. Our store has only the CVA brand. If I do not buy from them I will order. What I am looking for is a 50cal light weight easy to clean and maintain. But most of all it needs to shoot. I will use loose powder and sabolt bullets. Thanks for all the inputs please put me into a great gun. Only want to buy once.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Look no further if you want a quality, American made gun that really shoots....

http://www.knightrifles.com

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Knights are excellent rifles but if you want a CVA, just get the Optima V2 in stainless. Very good value, light weight and fairly easy to clean.

Knight DISCs take a few more minutes to clean but not much IF you get the bare 209 primer conversion kit. Knights new Ultra Lite is top shelf but you will be paying top shelf price. Super light weight, awesome trigger, very high quality stock, Green Mountain barrel with bore coat and multiple ignition options.

Last edited by Overkill45; 10/04/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where are you located, Chief?
Some states have different requirements for hunting.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
CVA Optima is a steal for the price they sell for. Great triggers on them as well.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bigblock455
CVA Optima is a steal for the price they sell for. Great triggers on them as well.

Optimas are an abortion. As are ALL CVAs..........

http://cvaguncases.com/

http://www.chuckhawks.com/muzzleloading_tragedy.htm

http://randywakeman.com/DangerousMuzzleloadersAHistory.htm

Keep loving that cheap price tag dumba$$. There's a reason why it's so cheap. It's an expensive price to pay for a POS..........

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am in the UP of Michigam so I can use a scope

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go ahead and lie to me. Tell me your Spanish made pot metal gun will do this. Go ahead. It's the internet. Everybody can shoot better than anybody else on the internet.

Laffin'............
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CWORETIRED
I am in the UP of Michigam so I can use a scope

Get a Knight, slap the best Leupold you can afford on it, and you will never be sorry. Mine wears a VX2 3-9x40 with heavy duplex.........

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My research lead me to the improvement / replacement for the Omega - aka the TC triumph.

Haven't bought one yet but If I do that will be the one.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I only have one inline and it is a T/C Triumph. Shoots like a centerfire with BH209 and sabots. BH209 in my opinion is the only powder for an inline. It is an easy cleanup with Hoppes #9.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
wooowoooo thats some shooting! laugh

Your randy wakeman scare tactics are good to print out and wipe my arse with. Go get some real experience and then come back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ha! My left pinky toe has more shooting experience than you ever will.

Keep buying junk. I dont think Wakeman caused anything to blow up. Nor did he create the CVA guncase.com site or the lawsuits/injuries that idiots like you choose to ignore in favor of dirt cheap muzzleloaders.

Name me one muzzleloader maker with a worse rep than CVA. Or that has had so many catastrophic failures. I'm waiting.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
My research lead me to the improvement / replacement for the Omega - aka the TC triumph.

I know nada, as in I have zero experience with a TC Triumph, but I'm happy as can be with my TC Omega. I did a lot of research before buying it and have no regrets whatsoever.

IMHO, TC makes very good MLs and I'm sure a Triumph would be a fine rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Whatever you get, don't be fooled into thinking it'll be the only one you'll buy!

The Triumph appears to be a good gun at a good price.

After years of shooting sidelocks, I decided to get an inline and went for the Knight Ultra Lite. It's pricey, but very well made, accurate, and very light and handy. I've got about a grand in it, including the Leupold VX-1 ML scope, and it's worth every penny.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice choice....

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Hard to beat the Knight ULite if you can afford it.....Unless you want to build a smokeless rig and dont mind the extra weight. IIRC you cant use smokeless in Michigan during ML seasons but that wont matter at the range or during other hunts. Smokeless rigs still handle subs just fine when needed or required.

Beats the heck out of burning powder thats $30+ for 10oz and still needs to be cleaned.

Last edited by Overkill45; 10/04/14.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by fish head
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

I know nada, as in I have zero experience with a TC Triumph, but I'm happy as can be with my TC Omega. I did a lot of research before buying it and have no regrets whatsoever.

IMHO, TC makes very good MLs and I'm sure a Triumph would be a fine rifle.

Just imagine your omega with a speed breech and basically you know the triumph

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As to the RW Bla Bla Bla .
Considering the numbers of sales that CVA has had through the years , wouldn�t you think that RW would have pages upon pages of case numbers ?
Chances are your more likely to be driving a car made by a company that�s had far more lawsuits and actual Judicial judgments against them .

When it comes to gun manufactures , I cant think of many who have not had some issue at some time .
The better ones worked through it and are still around . Others are not .
Frankly I wouldn�t get all caught up in it all .
Stick with the parameters your asking about .
IE , 50 cal , easy to maintain , lose powder and sabots and shoots .

I have built guns all my life and can tell you that 90% of the folks out there are not capable of shooting anywhere where near what their gun is capable of . doesn�t mater if its center fire , Modern muzzleloading or Traditional muzzleloader .
For the most part how accurate a gun is , often boils down to the shooter , what they are trying to do and how much time one puts into getting to know the gun .

Loose powder and sabots : this again depends on you . What powder , what sabots . Lots of info and opinions out there on both .

Easy to maintain : what�s your definition of that ?
Case in point . Folks will tell you here that im a traditionalist .Not sure how much I would agree with that but , lets run with it . I shoot a lot . By a lot I mean 20-30lbs of BP a year. Mostly from the same gun which I have had now for 23 years . Its easy to clean , and past having to replace a couple main springs in the lock and a new vent liner once every year or so , its very easy to maintain . In fact so much so that I often read what modern inline folks go through and question the whole sanity of it.

50cal : Now that�s simple as the market is full of them .

So in the end your going to have to define more about what your looking for .
Take stock in those who own a given brand or model and are willing to tell you what they like and dislike about it .

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You're right about the ease of use. Other than needing an occasional barrel wipe, a good side-lock is pretty simple and easy to shoot and maintain. I got my Knight because my eyes are starting to go and I really need a scope in the woods. The Knight will use BP just fine, and can even use #11 or musket caps if I get a conversion unit. I purchased an REAL mold for just that reason.

BH209 is a little pricey, about 50 cents a pop for 100gr. equivalent loads, but it works very well and real BP can be hard to find for some folks.

Don't know about the CVAs and don't care. I have yet to see one that appeals to me.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (22kHornet, 222Sako, 204guy, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,601
Posts18,492,258
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.