Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
One good thing about Partitions, you get fairly rapid expansion plus penetration.

They're still hard to beat after 66 years of "testing"...

DF

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
One good thing about Partitions, you get fairly rapid expansion plus penetration.

DF

A hearty Amen from the back row!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still load Partitions in the 6mm and .257 chamberings. Indeed very tough to beat their performance on deer so far. I don't like Ballistic Tips or Accubonds in those calibers, as penetration is sometimes a bit lacking in my experience. Stuff is dead, but may not have two holes leaking blood.

Now with even more aplomb
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Sometimes the NPT will be the most accurate bullet. My .240 HS with 100 gr. NPT's over 53 gr. MRP will shoot half MOA at 400 yds., cranking'em out at 3,250 fps. It don't get much better than that with a average wt. hunting rifle.

That rifle is now a one bullet, one load gun... cool

And I tried a dozen bullets and bunches of different loads before finding that one. Second most accurate powder with that bullet was Ramshot Magnum.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 10/07/14.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
I'm not disputing placement, at all. 90+% of the hogs I've taken have been with head shots. As distances grow, or when foliage precludes a head shot, I aim for vitals.

My beef is with the explosiveness of a purportedly, "tough" bullet. I've not seen this type of fragmentation with TSX's, CoreLokts, Interlocks, or even soft point bullets. It's not what I was expecting.

FC

I have found the 120's to be inconsistent in performance. I run them around 2,900fps out of 7-08. Sometimes I have seen what Mule Deer described, and other times I've seen what you posted in the OP.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, I don't see complaints about bullet costs being pertinent for hunting. Maybe for plinking, but not for hunting.

If you always get the perfect load on the first try, I'd agree.

More realistically, you can fire a LOT of bullets looking for the one that works best in a particular gun, with a particular powder, and costs DO matter

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by k22hornet
I am a fan of Barnes, have been since 1992, so there is my 'disclaimer'.

To those who tout Barnes are to expensive, I have to ask, how many shots at game do you get every year? Even if you shoot 50 head of game a year, one box of Barnes bullets will cost about $35 ($80 if you buy them loaded).Let's see, $1.60 (for loaded rounds) per animal.

The bullets are the absolute cheapest part of the hunt (cheaper than the bottled water some guys buy), and they have the most important function to perform.

To others who suggest reducing the speeds, I ask why, when a Barnes can hold up to Weatherby speeds at very close range and still expand at 400+yds, why reduce the speed?

As has been said, shot placement is always crucial, but, the bullet still has to do it's job when it gets there, and that means penetrating to the vitals, even when the shot has to go through big bones and heavy muscle.

To the OP, use a 120gr TSX and drive it fast. You will be pleased with the results, on paper and game.

I could afford to put premium gas in my truck, but I don't because regular works just as well.

Besides, part of this sport that I enjoy is trying different bullets. As has been oft stated: deer ain't hard to kill. I can't think of one that I've shot in the last 59 years that would not have fallen to core lokts or power points. But I've had a lot of fun (and spent a lot of $$$) experimenting.

If you think that TSXs are the end all and you're happy with them, that's great. Go for it. But recognize that others may have different, and legitimate reasons for following a different path

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Believe it or not, I had a 140 gr. SST at nearly 3K fps out of a 6.5-284, pencil thru a whitetail chest with min. damage, only to recover the deer 100+ yds. in the woods.

I've had that same load blow the heck out of and ruin a Pronghorn cape at >300 yds. Very accurate like the NBT, but not the most predictable bullet in my experience. Don't use them any more.

To me, that's another vote for the NPT. They seem to me to be more consistent performers on game.

Other hunters, for sure, have their own experiences and stories, and I respect that. But, I gotta go with what seems to work best for me, what I'm comfortable with and have confidence in.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 10/07/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As has been said, shot placement is always crucial, but, the bullet still has to do it's job when it gets there, and that means penetrating to the vitals, even when the shot has to go through big bones

All the pictures in the thread showed dead and recovered game
It seems it did it's job quite well

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
True, all dead critters.

But we have such a fine selection of quality bullets these days, there's no reason not to fine tune the delivery and terminal performance to our liking.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

^^^Yep. This!!! ^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Supposedly the only difference between the BT and the AB is that the AB has the core bonded to the shell to keep it together on larger game. I've shot a lot of AB's and will have to say that out of my rifle, they're the most accurate bullet I've used. However, the meat destruction is unacceptable. I hunt to put meat in the freezer, not all over the hillside.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Supposedly the only difference between the BT and the AB is that the AB has the core bonded to the shell to keep it together on larger game. I've shot a lot of AB's and will have to say that out of my rifle, they're the most accurate bullet I've used. However, the meat destruction is unacceptable. I hunt to put meat in the freezer, not all over the hillside.

IIRC you shot a cow elk in the front shoulders with an Accubond, then came on here complaining about meat loss. Correct?

What did you think was going to happen?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've shot elk in the shoulder with a number of different bullets and none have even come close to the waste of the AB.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'd bet a dollar to a dog turd all the shoulder shots wasted some meat. So why did you shoot them in the front shoulders if you're so worried about meat loss?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
So why did you shoot them in the front shoulders if you're so worried about meat loss?

Because it's a better option than the rear shoulders... whistle

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
So why did you shoot them in the front shoulders if you're so worried about meat loss?

Because it's a better option than the rear shoulders... whistle

Now, there are Fire contributors who admit to those kinda shots... shocked

DF

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Snyper

More realistically, you can fire a LOT of bullets looking for the one that works best in a particular gun, with a particular powder, and costs DO matter

That would "realistically" mean your rifle is a POS.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Snyper,

When I start with a new gun, new round, I do a bunch of online research to see what others with similar gun and round are reporting. So, when I start shooting, it's educated, not random. I let them burn their barrels... whistle

Doing so, I don't have to burn up a bunch of components to find the right load. I often find several good loads and use the one that seems best suited for the task at hand.

If I'm shooting VLD's, which can be a pain regarding optimal COAL, I use the Berger protocol which is on line. It's designed to get where you need to be with a minimal number of rounds. There are other tricks, like the Audette Ladder used by LR shooters. But, I'm sure you know all that already.

Point being, you don't need to shoot a whole bunch to get where you need to be.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I wouldn't go that far to call it a POS, but all the factory and smith built rifles I have that shoot well do so with a variety of loadings and they are not all that hard to find. Fussy rifles either get sold or worked on.

Re the the NBTs. Those picks all look to have hard devastating hits. That is fine on my end and the little meat lost compared to the whole is something that I find not that big of a deal.

Friends, myself and their kids have around 12 or so Deer taken with with TTSXs from .223s up thru the .308W and .30-06 with up front hits. The ones we skinned showed some massive bloodshot trauma to the meat at the entry point. I see little difference than those shot with NBTs, Core-lokts, etc around the entrance.

Have yet to have a solid first hit on a Deer with NBTs that it went very far and this has been with quite a few from the original up to the latest generation. Unless you are going for the head expect to loose meat. Hit them in the shoulders and expect to lose more, no matter what expanding bullet you use.

The current generation NBT is an excellent medium game bullet. It works consistently well.

Last edited by battue; 10/07/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 54 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,840
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.