Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Pete loves to hunt and fish. He has lined us up to visit a cave in North Alabama. Should be fun, and no, I am NOT going spelunking!
He probably will come down to Florida, and attend one of the week long kayaking/canoeing/camping trips I do.
He is a good man, that has gave 10 years of his life in service to America. He is well worth some time and effort on my part.

Sam......

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Pete loves to hunt and fish. He has lined us up to visit a cave in North Alabama. Should be fun, and no, I am NOT going spelunking!
He probably will come down to Florida, and attend one of the week long kayaking/canoeing/camping trips I do.
He is a good man, that has gave 10 years of his life in service to America. He is well worth some time and effort on my part.

...on ALL our parts.

Pete, thank you for your service and Godspeed. We're pulling for you.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tell him not to waste the retirement points and get back into the National Guard or Reserves. That's 3285 retirement points that will get him free health care and a pension at 60 years old.

Besides, he may get lucky and we will be drafting for the next war in a year or two and he can get his 20. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Advise him to be very careful in any contacts w/ the VA. Many manifestations of PTSD have been reported by the VA and have caused many vets to be denied CCW and firearms purchases. You can suggest he spend some time and see if he is comfortable w/ the VFW or similar organizations.You are a good person to feel concern, he will appreciate your effort.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Kwgo20, Pete has already joined the Alabama Guard. lvmiker, thanks for the tip on the VA and PSTD. Others have also mentioned that care and prudence are needed when working with the VA on certain issues.

Sam......

IC B2

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Good luck, Sam...I will pray for his healing, strength and peace...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of my very best friends, 10 yrs my senior, and one of my best hunting buddies called me out of the blue 2 years ago saying he was going to take his life. I went straight to him. I knew he had served as a Marine Recon sniper but that was about it and knowing him hehad definitely seen the [bleep] but never knew the extent. He let it all out that night at about 4 am that morning crying like a child and seemed better the next day. A week later he went through the same darkness and actually quit hunting, fishing and returning calls. It was a scary time , very scary. Many counseling sessions and he can now hunt again without breaking down..

His words to me now talking about the past in a nut shell. " Man I love you for being there for me, I never realized how much I had held in until it all came out." He and I hunted together last night for the first time in 2 years, he asked that I stay within sight which I gladly did and we had a blast.

Love being offered freely, help being offered , not forced are the tools I used most..

But the most important life changing event for my friend was when he opened up his heart to Jesus Christ.

Prayers sent for you to be a strong unbreakable channel through which Jesus Christ can work his wonders.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Strick9
One of my very best friends, 10 yrs my senior, and one of my best hunting buddies called me out of the blue 2 years ago saying he was going to take his life. I went straight to him. I knew he had served as a Marine Recon sniper but that was about it and knowing him hehad definitely seen the [bleep] but never knew the extent. He let it all out that night at about 4 am that morning crying like a child and seemed better the next day. A week later he went through the same darkness and actually quit hunting, fishing and returning calls. It was a scary time , very scary. Many counseling sessions and he can now hunt again without breaking down..

His words to me now talking about the past in a nut shell. " Man I love you for being there for me, I never realized how much I had held in until it all came out." He and I hunted together last night for the first time in 2 years, he asked that I stay within sight which I gladly did and we had a blast.

Love being offered freely, help being offered , not forced are the tools I used most..

But the most important life changing event for my friend was when he opened up his heart to Jesus Christ.

Prayers sent for you to be a strong unbreakable channel through which Jesus Christ can work his wonders.

You are an admirable person.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Have a bud I met through a club I'm in, we work on charitable projects together...kinda scattered, rough around the edges, not all that endearing in general. Planned to leave it at that until he told me what he went through after getting back from Nam...hospitalized in a mental hospital for a year, also had some violent tendencies. So, he struggled on and off with that for years, avoided taking his own life...the demons he dealt with were unimaginable for anyone who did not have the same experiences. On top of that, he had a brother who was ill with the effects of agent orange until finally dying at the age of 56.

Seems that if one can hang in there long enough, eventually can get a grasp, get in control...I still wonder, though, if the scales tip the wrong way, what might happen. Tried to reassure him that he has friends he can hold on to...

Also, have a brother who has been through rough times for similar reasons...heavy stuff.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How about doing something like fishing or a long backpack/hunting trip with him?

[Linked Image from ]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Almost every human needs to know - not just hear/see/feel - that someone cares about them and will be right there when they are in need. It may be that he felt such kinship with some while in the service and that now is absent. Who knows?

Pete may not yet know exactly WHAT he needs, but it is likely that he is feeling needy and disconnected. I admire what you are doing and your act of connecting and showing him care is probably a wonderful start on a good road.

If you can do things in a way that cause him to experience genuine caring and dedication - not big or fancy gestures, but doing simple things together and enjoying them, quiet conversation on the deeper issues, listening, gently exploring - he may pick up the beat and get some rhythm. Most folks feeling somewhat lost do not need a sales pitch on life or efforts to convince them - it seems better when they can pick up the signals for themselves and realize true kinship and its value.

His big need(s) and answer(s) for a fulfilling life may be beyond your range, but I would bet that you can be a sturdy and helpful bridge to there. If I could do that for someone I would feel highly rewarded, and bet that you will.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sam, perception can be slippery sometimes. I do not make light of the circumstance, but suggest that in many cases "help" might be less appropriate than simple understanding and patience.

I returned home after 2.5 years in Nam to find the friends I had known to be from another planet from all appearances. Thoughtless dweebs stuck in a worthless rut I no longer related to at any level. It took awhile to reconstruct my social network.

A protracted stay on th Group W Bench changes things a lot. It is difficult for folks that have not walked that path to understand. Be patient, don't be a mother hen.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
its a real hard thing to do,some folks jump back in others takes longer.get him help but the family is what counts.i tried like hell to go back over as i hated being home,its a trust thing.atleast over there you know how to act and survive here people are cruel and mean and really dont give a crap and he knows it.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Sam, perception can be slippery sometimes. I do not make light of the circumstance, but suggest that in many cases "help" might be less appropriate than simple understanding and patience.

I returned home after 2.5 years in Nam to find the friends I had known to be from another planet from all appearances. Thoughtless dweebs stuck in a worthless rut I no longer related to at any level. It took awhile to reconstruct my social network.

A protracted stay on th Group W Bench changes things a lot. It is difficult for folks that have not walked that path to understand. Be patient, don't be a mother hen.

well taken Dan. As I said before in the thread, I'm not a counselor. All I am setting out to do, is listen to him, put forth any information I can about resources, if he asks. I am his uncle, not his buddy, or his priest.
Pete is very important to me, and I am concerned, but it his his life to live, and his place to make decision on how he does that.

Sam......

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
All I would know to do is pray for him often and tell him you have an ear anytime he needs it.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1234, 67 invisible), 16,706 guests, and 1,048 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,193
Posts18,543,431
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.