-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
To date I've owned 2-220 Swift heavy barrels,2-6mm Remington heavy barrels,1-257 Bob light sporter,1-257 Bob round top, 1-25-06, 1-300 Win Mag and a pair of .338 Win Mags.
I never had a problem with any of them and they shot/still shoot right along with any Remington or Winchester I've ever owned.
I like em.

I like it here. They let me swear.
HR IC

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I bought a used 7 RM tang model and it shot crappy, I had it rebarreled and it shot good!

I suspect some calibers were made by different barrel makers,I have know a few guys that loved their 25-06 tang models and bragged about their accuracy.

But generally have always heard there were good and bad Rugers, I just think it was sub contracting different barrel makers.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
BSA - that's about what my first RU77 in .25-06 did (sub MOA- factory standard), but only with neck-sized only reloads. Remington factory ammo went about 5 inches. Rifle had a varmit (77V) barrel on it, with fiddle-back in the stock from fore-end to butt plate.

Prettiest Ruger stock I ever saw!

I never should have sold that thing!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I bought a dog leg bolt 7MM RM in the late 60's or early 70's. It had an out-of-round chamber.I shot a niece Alaskan Moose with it in 71 or 72 with a 160 grain partition and old H4831 while stationed at Eielson AFB.

I later re-barreled it with a new Shilen stainless barrel in the same caliber. It shoot very well in its new Brown Precision stock. I had the action elecroles nickled, and a new Len Brownell bolt handle tigged onto it. I made the bolt handle a little longer for gloves and winter. It still wears the same Leupold 2 x 7 scope I had Premier Reticles convert to click adjustments. Great old rifle. I will always keep it. If I were to live in Alaska it would be redone into a 338Win. Once you look at a full sized Alaskan moose up close that .284 bullet seems very small.

They had the safety in the CORRECT place! Screw control round feed! It locked the bolt, and was hard to knock-off by mistake.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have had a 1976 manufacture Tang Safety model in 7 mag since 1977 and it has knocked over many deer, elk and a boar - shortest kill 11 yards on a cow elk longest 513 yards on the 270 lb. boar.

It was a good shooting rifle to begin with and my wife surprised me one year for Christmas she had a gunsmith free float the barrel, glass bed the action and re-do the trigger as well as add a custom muzzle brake. Since then it has shot several 3 shot 100 yard groups you could cover with a dime. It is the most accurate hunting rifle I have ever shot and with the 3-9 conquest it is very good on deer vital size plates to 6oo yards on a not too windy day.

It shoots near maximum loads of IMR4350 with 150 grain ballistic tips best but 150 Barnes TTSX is almost as accurate and the same point of impact. When my hunting partners hear that darn loud report they know it is time for the work to start.

I've heard about the mixed bag on barrels but mine is a good one and with the light crisp trigger is a joy to shoot. It is reliable and rugged and has been dragged all over.

I have one in 30-06 that will shoot everything you run through it from 150-200 grains into about a baseball sized group. If it wasn't my Dad's old rifle it would be gone - I've thought a 35 Whelan conversion might be a good idea with it.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by las
BSA - that's about what my first RU77 in .25-06 did (sub MOA- factory standard), but only with neck-sized only reloads. Remington factory ammo went about 5 inches. Rifle had a varmit (77V) barrel on it, with fiddle-back in the stock from fore-end to butt plate.

Prettiest Ruger stock I ever saw!

I never should have sold that thing!

My buddy had a 25-06 tang safety and it was very accurate. If I remember right, it had a magnum contour barrel on it. Surprisingly it wasn't too finicky with factory loads and that's what he used in it..

The 270 I had was a real nice round top with factory irons and it was a real sweet heart of a rifle. If I had any sense, I would have kept it, but instead sold it to a great guy here. He PM's me every once in a while to let me know it's still shooting good and that his family members have taken deer with it grin. I love the fact that some of these rifles we let go, really go to good people here.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Of course, I gave it the usual glass bedding treatment wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice looking rifle. Too bad it can't shoot! wink

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it.

I went ahead and bought the rifle, expanding my Ruger collection grin Now to wait for the license to be approved and then I will load up some combinations and see how it does. I am going to bed and free float right off the start and see how it goes.

I got a Japanese made Bushnell Banner with it but it will be replaced with a Sightron, Zeiss or Minox.

Thanks again.

Pieter

Last edited by m77; 10/13/14.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You might be shooting yourself in the foot by freefloating it right off the bat. I'd bed it and then shoot it to see what kind of accuracy it's capable of. I've bedded many a ruger 77 and never touched the barrel channel and they have shot sub moa 3 shot groups. I know CH doesn't glass bed his and he freefloats the barrels and gets good results too, so it's up to you as to which direction you go with it.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,188
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.