Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone
I'm going to steal Skane's line.... Rooster, compare photo albums. smile

grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
I bet I can help grin

Shotguns are for shooting "SHOT".

When in a "SHOTgun zone" I use a muzzleloader or handgun. Due to new law just passed, I may use a 44 mag rifle a bit this year.

I would feel equally out of place using a bolt action rifle to grouse hunt as I would a SHOTgun to deer hunt.

I have seen more deer lost/wounded by shotgun hunters than all other firearms combined. May be because most of them haven't a clue or don't hunt/shoot much. Generally speaking, I see a guy choose a shotgun, and I'm already questioning his experience/abilities.

I'll use my SHOTguns for that which they were designed. You could not pay me to hunt deer with one.

When I have my (single shot) muzzleloader and some shotgun toting fool tells me his gun is better because he gets 5 shots and I only get 1, I usually just smile. One shot is all I have ever needed, or will need. When I hear multiple shots fired, I think somebody probably screwed the pooch. When I hear one, I think "dead deer".

Sooooooo, all I can say is why would you choose a shotgun, if something actually designed for the task exists?

There, how was that?

I love it when the self proclaimed pundits run their mouths around here. Just 'cuz you choose a ML doesn't mean the rest of us have to. And incidentally, the new rifled barrels for shotguns are capable of being just as accurate as ML's are. If you doubt that, got to the range some time and watch some guys shoot them that know what they're doing! Yes, the older smoothbores shooting Foster style slugs don't tend to be as accurate, but with the newer generation of shotguns set up for deer hunting, it's a whole different ball game. The 220, the 870, or an Ithaca Model 37 Deerslayer with a good rifled cantilever barrel are pretty tough to beat.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW, I've got two different slug guns that shoot very good. The first one's an old 870 with a smoothbore slug barrel permanently mated to the frame. It's got a Leupy base and a Weaver K1.5-4.5X scope on it. This gun will shoot 1 HOLE groups all day long at 50 yards, and 2" groups at 100 yards. I also have a crappy little Mossberg 500 20 ga. with a ported cantilever barrel and a another Weaver Variable on it. It really likes Hornandy SST slugs and shoots them into 1" groups at 100 yards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bet I can help grin

When in a "SHOTgun zone" I use a muzzleloader or handgun. Due to new law just passed, I may use a 44 mag rifle a bit this year.

I would feel equally out of place using a bolt action rifle to grouse hunt as I would a SHOTgun to deer hunt.

I have seen more deer lost/wounded by shotgun hunters than all other firearms combined. May be because most of them haven't a clue or don't hunt/shoot much. Generally speaking, I see a guy choose a shotgun, and I'm already questioning his experience/abilities.

I'll use my SHOTguns for that which they were designed. You could not pay me to hunt deer with one.

When I have my (single shot) muzzleloader and some shotgun toting fool tells me his gun is better because he gets 5 shots and I only get 1, I usually just smile. One shot is all I have ever needed, or will need. When I hear multiple shots fired, I think somebody probably screwed the pooch. When I hear one, I think "dead deer".

Sooooooo, all I can say is why would you choose a shotgun, if something actually designed for the task exists?

There, how was that?

It's idiots like this that drive good folks away from here.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Savages are fugly. Period.

Those that think slug guns will outshoot modern in-lines are terribly mistaken.

Those that carry a certain gun because they hold more ammo "in case of a quick follow up shot" do not have much confidence in their shooting abilities.

As for experience/actually shooting a 220-----I help "the public" sight in their guns every year when we open our club up for "public sight in days". Fellow LR rifle shooters and myself help them out and get them squared away for deer season. I have seen every POS slug gun with every POS scope on it in existence. NONE have every wowed me with their accuracy, nor have any of their owners.

Can you choose from tons of bullets and bullet weights? Can you tailor your powder charge accordingly? Can you choose the sabot size accordingly to bore diameter/bullet diameter? This is why a slug gun will NEVER have the accuracy potential of an in-line.....

Hey tuff guy, I'm willing to bet you my 220f will clover leaf 260 grain Partition Gold loads at 100 yards all day, every day...how much more "accuracy" does a hunter need?

220F is possibly the best invention in slug rifes for the dollar spent. BTW, my inline shoots just as well and I love MZ deer season....

How many rounds does your inline hold anyway?.....I know, I know, tuff guys like you only need one shot...

Last edited by CLB; 10/07/14.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This is the stupidest argument that I hear over and over! I have close friends who absolutely swear by muzzleloaders and try like hell to persuade me to their side, but there is nothing attractive about them to me and I will always continue to use my slug gun even though I love shooting rifles. I have shot the Savage in 20ga and they are really nice SHOTGUNS(HeHeHeHe!). The one I was around liked the Remington ammo the best. We were able to consistently hit a paper plate out a tad over 200yds. That's not bad for a SCATTER GUN(HeHeHeHe!). I'm sure if I spent more time with it I could have improved on those results even some more .... so I say from my minimal experience Ive had with the Savage; BUY IT.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm gonna buy the phuggin thing just to piss Mr. Modern Inline off!

laugh

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Those that carry a certain gun because they hold more ammo "in case of a quick follow up shot" do not have much confidence in their shooting abilities.

As for experience/actually shooting a 220-----I help "the public" sight in their guns every year when we open our club up for "public sight in days". Fellow LR rifle shooters and myself help them out and get them squared away for deer season. I have seen every POS slug gun with every POS scope on it in existence. NONE have every wowed me with their accuracy, nor have any of their owners.

Can you choose from tons of bullets and bullet weights? Can you tailor your powder charge accordingly? Can you choose the sabot size accordingly to bore diameter/bullet diameter? This is why a slug gun will NEVER have the accuracy potential of an in-line.....

I take it you shoot a smokeless ml?

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I just dropped $1500 on a new Beretta A400 xtreme and I can't wait for duck season to start: I took it out to shoot clays and broke 23 before I missed one. I like it a lot so far.

Bb

Burley,

That's some damn fine shootin! I'm glad you like your new toy!

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R

I'm curious. What did you hunt with in a slug zone BEFORE the modern in-line came out???

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by gophergunner
FWIW, I've got two different slug guns that shoot very good. The first one's an old 870 with a smoothbore slug barrel permanently mated to the frame. It's got a Leupy base and a Weaver K1.5-4.5X scope on it. This gun will shoot 1 HOLE groups all day long at 50 yards, and 2" groups at 100 yards. I also have a crappy little Mossberg 500 20 ga. with a ported cantilever barrel and a another Weaver Variable on it. It really likes Hornandy SST slugs and shoots them into 1" groups at 100 yards.

The 870 is another one I fondled and was leaning towards until I lifted that 220f. MAN, that gun is SWEET! smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rooster7

laugh
I like it!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Rooster7

laugh

Didn't you ask to be talked out of it in your first post?

I switched from a smoothbore to inlines in 97 or so. Got one with a .357 in there a few years ago. I picked up a couple of cantilever barrels for my 870's and I'll probably give it a go one of these years.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Nobody said they will. Also, nobody was talking about muzzle-loaders.

Funny how that works, eh?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bucktail

Yes he did. Now he is whinig about it.

Funny how THAT works, eh? grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by goalie

Nobody said they will. Also, nobody was talking about muzzle-loaders.

Go back and read it. You are wrong on BOTH counts.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bet I can help grin

There, how was that?

If you see the little smiley face, and what I wrote, the whole damn thing was kinda a tongue-in-cheek comment.

It's whiney little bitches that drive folks away. For God's sake it's a GUN. Nobody was doggin' on your mother. Get a grip man........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bet I can help grin

There, how was that?

If you see the little smiley face, and what I wrote, the whole damn thing was kinda a tongue-in-cheek comment.

It's whiney little bitches that drive folks away. For God's sake it's a GUN. Nobody was doggin' on your mother. Get a grip man........
You're an azz, and now you're trying to dig out of the bullschidt YOU started, Tinkerbell. Go find another forum to stink up with your bullschidt.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by bucktail

Yes he did. Now he is whinig about it.

Funny how THAT works, eh? grin

Not whining at all. YOU are the one that came on this thread whining and name calling you immature little @#$!.

Now you're trying to back peddle and say " oh wait guys, it was all tongue in cheek. I can say whatever I want and call people whatever I want as long as I put a smiley face in there somewhere"

Nice try troll! Now go be an azzhole somewhere else

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (160user, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 10ring1, 222ND, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,573
Posts18,531,952
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.