Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#9240598 10/08/14
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Why are so many self-restricting intake of gluten? I've heard of people who get sick from it, but it seems all the rave to seek gluten-free foods and I'm not clear what the purpose is. Also, being protein, if a vegetarian restricts gluten, seems they would need to have another source...?

In a related issue, I know people who are constantly taking "supplements". Seems it's never on a doctor's advice and I've asked them why, but nothing they say makes any sense.

Am I gonna die if I don't stop eating plain, old normal food...?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Eating plain old foods is fine. It is when we all the highly processed foods that some folks bodies rebel. Gluten is a great example. If you start reading labels you will find gluten in all kinds of things that will surprise you. Soy is another. There is soy in many processed foods, so that we are eating way more than normal. To much of anything is not all that good.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Supplements have their place for things like deficiencies in a persons diet and work great when used properly. Potassium or B3 are good examples.

If your talking weight loss or weight lifting supplements they can also be beneficial. Creatine was the buzz in the 90's and still used today for weight lifting. Mixtures of creatine with amino acids for "recovery" or pre workout drinks for that boost prior to a workout can add to a workout if used properly. They can also be detrimental such as if you have any medical conditions like high blood pressure.

Supplements like creatine may work great for one person and then not at all for the next. I found that creatine just added water weight to me and did nothing for me, but others swear by it. I had great results with 1.M.R. for a pre workout drink.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Scott F
Eating plain old foods is fine. It is when we all the highly processed foods that some folks bodies rebel. Gluten is a great example. If you start reading labels you will find gluten in all kinds of things that will surprise you. Soy is another. There is soy in many processed foods, so that we are eating way more than normal. To much of anything is not all that good.

Our wheat ain't our daddy's wheat.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I cant eat gluten due to celiacs disease. Basically I can't process the gluten protien. And, although i'm asymptematic it could have long term serious consequences...that said it sucks having to read every label to make sure its gluten free, and eating out is a pain in the azz

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yer gonna die no matter what you eat, bless you eat of the tree of life? wink

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
My daughter and many on my wife's side have celiacs disease. For them gluten free is a must. For the rest it is becoming a fad.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by sse

Yes. hope it is far in the future.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Our wheat ain't our daddy's wheat.

Nothing wrong at all with eating plain, old food. The problem is, what is out there isn't what we used to eat. Also we're learning that some of what we thought was good isn't so good for us.

My wife has Celiac Disease which is a condition where gluten of any type destroys the cilia in her intestines, creating some significant health issues. New research shows that up to 30% of the population has some sort of negative reaction to gluten.
Some food fad idiots have taken the issue and ran with it, making a gluten-free diet great for everyone. Taint so.

Good old fashioned sugar is better for you than artificial sweeteners. Butter or leaf lard is better than hydrogenated shortenings. Buying local veggies is better than buying big box grocery store stuff. Buying grass fed beef is much healthier than feed-lot beef (wild game is better!).
Stay the hell away from soy unless you need the estrogen.
The corn you buy from the grocery is hybridized to increase sugar and thus lower protien. And the list goes on.

What we have to do now, that our forefathers didn't have to do, is be more careful about our diet.
They ate what they raised and physically worked, burning calories like there was no tomorrow, and lived shorter lives.

Eat what you want, just know what you're eating and make decisions on your risk level.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Many have celiac sprue which doesn't let the body process the gluten protein. Much conjecture about why with most folks saying it is due to the genetically modified grains. A family member has the issue and it is very real.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I donno, Dad's 92 and never heard "gluten" and I bet he ate red meat almost every day of his life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
don't think gluten is in meat, it's in grains

my wife has had to give it up, she doesn't have the celiacs or anything.

but if she eats wheat or gluten products she gets eczema on the bottom of her foot.

if she doesn't eat it, her feet are fine

as others have said, the food we eat today is to feed massive amounts of folks and someone's bottom line.

we try to eat fairly healthy, but it's a freakin challenge as it's so easy to just buy processed already made stuff.

amazing to me how many folks have trouble with gluten these days.

though it would hurt me none to cut back on wheat based products as too many carbs for my needs.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
unless you have a fairly severe case of Celiac Sprue, gluten should not be a problem.
Right now, going 'glulten free' is a fad

Sam......

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Interesting comments. Don't understand what is driving the fad for those who really don't have the intolerance.

First time I've heard this one, though:
Stay the hell away from soy unless you need the estrogen.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Soy protein gives you man-boobs. That why Whey protein is now so popular.

- Rogue
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
not really true at all. Yes there is some estrogen in most soy products, but it won't cause any gender bender issues.

Oh, and tempeh, a fermented soy product, has no estrogen at all.

Sam......

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by sse
Why are so many self-restricting intake of gluten? I've heard of people who get sick from it, but it seems all the rave to seek gluten-free foods and I'm not clear what the purpose is. Also, being protein, if a vegetarian restricts gluten, seems they would need to have another source...?

In a related issue, I know people who are constantly taking "supplements". Seems it's never on a doctor's advice and I've asked them why, but nothing they say makes any sense.

Simple.

They're idiots.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

but if she eats wheat or gluten products she gets eczema on the bottom of her foot.

if she doesn't eat it, her feet are fine

This would be an example of a true (albeit relatively minor) allergic reaction to gluten.

This would be an example of somebody that shouldn't eat gluten, or at least do their best not to eat gluten.

90% of the gluten craze are just idiots. They wouldn't know an allergy from a hemorrhoid.

In two years it will be nothing but a by-gone fad.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
My son,thanks a new girl friend who works in the dietary field,recently found out his many yrs of digestive problems have come from foods/liquids containing Gluton. He's been about three months Gluton free now and he's feeling and looks 100% better. He has an appointment with a Gastroindinologist(?)later this month.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scott F

Who eats procesed food?

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (25aught6, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,935
Posts18,518,976
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.