Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just turned 74 and am fearful of become a curmudgeon. shocked

It seems to me the older I get, the harder time I have with just simple repair tasks around the home or working on a vehicle or trying to build something, everything seems to be about 4 times as difficult as it ought to be and take 4 times as long as I anticipated. Anyone else have these problems or is it just the fate of geezers ?

[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jnyork

It seems to me the older I get, the harder time I have with just simple repair tasks around the home or working on a vehicle or trying to build something, everything seems to be about 4 times as difficult as it ought to be and take 4 times as long as I anticipated. Anyone else have these problems or is it[b just the fate of geezers ? [/b]

life does go on just at a different pace and level of productivity for energy expended cry frown grin

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

It seems to me the older I get, the harder time I have with just simple repair tasks around the home or working on a vehicle or trying to build something, everything seems to be about 4 times as difficult as it ought to be and take 4 times as long as I anticipated. Anyone else have these problems or is it just the fate of geezers ?

Hell, it didn't take me 74 years... laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thats what I was thinking....hes wayyyyy behind the curve. Besidestaking longer to do stuff, you get crabbier about it, and everything else.And when you are done, you are more tired than you can believe...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My Dad just turned 73. We still have a construction business together. He is "semi-retired", whatever the heck that is supposed to mean. smirk

He instilled a good work ethic in me, I think. It's funny how that can be a double-edged sword. I'm still wanting to go faster, longer, harder etc. and I have to constantly remind myself that he can't any longer. Not that he doesn't want to, just that he can't anymore.

I'm pulling for you guys. As long as you're doing something, anything really, don't worry how long it takes. You've done your part.

"You can't !@#$ something up if you're not doing anything".
- a favorite quote from a guy Dad and I both worked for

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it has taken this long, embrace it.

Pull your pants up to your nipples and learn some Yiddish insults!

Sean
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

used to worry about becoming a curmudgeon, until I realized I already was one!

Sam......

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A gentleman I grew up around was a very active farmer and athlete for most of his life. He grew up on a farm and ended up playing pro baseball and basketball at the same time. After he quit the pro sports he farmed for a living with all the associated labor that goes along with it. I started to notice as I got a bit older that he had begun to slow down. He told me that one morning when he was 80 or so, he just woke up and felt old. Said it was kindof a letdown because he could only go 9 holes at the golf course twice a week instead of 18. My grandad says the same thing, he's 82 now and it frustrates him to no end that he has to take breaks when doing farm work.

When my great grandad went to live at the rest home when he was 97 he always complained about all the folks he thought shouldn't be in there. As he went on and on about these people I realized how fortunate I was for having him and my grandad, his son, in good health at such an old age. You see a lot of the folks in the home with him were in their late 60's or early 70's, and both him and my grandad were still working a full day at their age. They didn't understand and I just feel lucky to have them in decent shape.

Keep plugging along and let the grand kids or a young man down the road give you a hand time to time. It might do both of you some good.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

used to worry about becoming a curmudgeon, until I realized I already was one!

That made me laugh, Good to know your limits Sam.

Boys, it's time to start hiring the neighbor kids and while they work for you teach them some of what you have learned.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by calikooknic

They been there for 2-3 years already. laugh

It aint all age-related. For instance, the other day I went to put a tee fitting in a propane line in my new-to-me RV. Since I already had the fittings, taken from my old trailer, should be a 10 minute job, right? Wrong! Fittings didn't fit. mad Started at 0830, finished at almost 1600. Three trips to Ace Hardware and TWO 50-mile round trips to the propane company in another town. Frustration factor of 14.2 on a scale of 10! eek

Chit like this keeps happening to me more and more, it seems.

Last edited by jnyork; 10/11/14.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Indeed, I sure do know that feeling of frustration. The other day, I had to change the starter on my ol' Chevy, G-30 van. 20 years ago, I coulda had that engine pulled, completely re-built, and put back in, in the time it took me to get that starter changed! Or like the other day, when I had to change the battery, in my wifes motor cycle! Good grief, when ya have fingers as big as wieners, but are twisted up like cork screws, it's a real booger to handle them lil' screws!
As a sweet lil' ol' lady friend once said "The only thing Golden, about our Golden Years--is your pee"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If those are the criteria, I've been 74 for my whole life.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Like my DAD told me a long time ago,son the older I get,what I use to do all day now takes me all day to do.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by calikooknic

"Yes! And if I had had ten dollars you would have been half negro too!"

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 55 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,404
Posts18,470,164
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.