Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've been pinned down by a wounded 4x4 mule deer, I had on carhart bibs and a heavy carhart coat, if not for that i'd have been a bloody mess.

I finally got ahold of his antlers and was able to hold my own till he decided to take off, he made it about 50 yards and finally died from the bad hit.

An elk? I'd be [bleep] dead...

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
When I was about 10 or 11, I was hunting with my grandpa, grandma and my uncle. We dropped my uncle off at a spot and drove to a pre-arranged area to wait for him. We hadn't been there more than 5 minutes when he came running up and wanted a knife. I found his Buck knife on the seat and tossed it to him. He took off running and stumbling as his boots has no shoelaces. I knew something good must have happened so I took off after him.

About 100 yards into the timber I saw a dead doe lying there and a 2-point buck tied to a tree by his antlers with shoelaces! I kid you not.

Apparently my uncle had shot both the doe and the buck but only knocked the buck out. He had no knife and no more ammo so he took the laces out of his logging boots and tied the buck to a small tree. The buck was very much alive and pissed when we got there!

I don't remember the rodeo only that my uncle killed the buck and didn't get seriously hurt. My grandad was sorely pissed about the doe. I was sent back to the truck while words were exchanged.

He came on the hunt with only 2 or 3 rounds! He killed more than a 100 deer with his 22-250 and who knows how many elk. He was the best rifleman I had ever known and also the most prolific poacher. I probably don't know the half of all the stunts he pulled.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rosco1
I've been pinned down by a wounded 4x4 mule deer, I had on carhart bibs and a heavy carhart coat, if not for that i'd have been a bloody mess.

I finally got ahold of his antlers and was able to hold my own till he decided to take off, he made it about 50 yards and finally died from the bad hit.

An elk? I'd be [bleep] dead...

We all saw that video on youtube. You got your azz handed to you, just admit it... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
No video, thank god.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm plenty amazed at the power of 200 lb steers and such, not to mention horses, cows, bulls, etc.

I wouldn't tangle with a elk or horned deer of any kind. And a doe would have to be pretty incapacitated 'fore I'd dive in.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Where do you guys shoot a deer that is down but still alive? Like some here have described, the good ol' neck shot is easier said than done. Somewhere along the line I read a suggestion that even on a downed animal, the lung shot was the best shot to dispatch a wounded animal. Kinda makes sense, no animal can live more than seconds with a bullet through the middle of the lungs, but I have never tried it.

Royce

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Like in golf, you play it as it lies. Oftentimes they'll go down in brush where you can't get a clean neck or lung shot and you have to take what you can get. I've dispatched them with lung, neck, and head shots. If I have the shot, high in the neck works great because it's mostly spine. If you hit the spine, it's all over. Low in the neck can be a problem because there's a lot there that is NOT spine. It's muscle, windpipe, etc. Most likely you'll kill it but not immediately. From the side, between the eye and ear is good but don't expect to have much left for a taxidermist to work on.

A close up shot with a scoped rifle can be tricky for a couple reasons. For one, the scope sits higher than the barrel and you need to compensate. For another, most scopes don't focus that close and you can't see the animal clearly. I highly recommend trying a few 5 yd shots at paper to see what it'll do.

The best kill shot I know is one that I use when I butcher our goats - from the rear right at the back of the skull. I take out the top vertebra and the bullet continues on in to the brain. I've been able to use that shot on a couple game animals but you usually won't get the right angle.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Learned my lesson in this regard this year, and will henceforth carry more ammo! I figured 7-8 rounds is more than enough, and usually it is, but then sometimes stuff happens...
The 2 farm hand kids who came out to look and give me a hand asked if I didn't have a knife? Well hell yeah I had a knife, and with a bull elk its staying in its sheath until its time to start skinning. I've worked on cattle farms enough to know what I can and can't handle with a domestic animal, and I have no illusions about wrestling a bull elk.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Royce
Where do you guys shoot a deer that is down but still alive? Like some here have described, the good ol' neck shot is easier said than done. Somewhere along the line I read a suggestion that even on a downed animal, the lung shot was the best shot to dispatch a wounded animal. Kinda makes sense, no animal can live more than seconds with a bullet through the middle of the lungs, but I have never tried it.

Royce

I was always curious about this as well!!

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.
- Dale Carnegie
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by LKEYES
Originally Posted by Royce

Royce

I was always curious about this as well!!

Lungs

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Ready
Terminal ballistics of round balls sucked way back when then had nothing else just the same as today. With the bullets available now, I have a hard time imagining, why one would choose to use one (or three) on any hunt...

This^^^.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Ravenr2
Just try and cut the nuts off a house cat.
THEN tell me how you're gonna wrestle an wounded elk

Ha, fer sure.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

201 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 2500HD, 34 invisible), 2,140 guests, and 1,029 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,614
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.