Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My wife was drawn for antlerless elk this year, no elk tag for me. This hunt was in an area I've never hunted but it's easy to draw and a good friend of mine was confident we could find some elk for our wives so we thought we'd give it a try.

First morning had a couple bulls bugling. We were still-hunting towards the bugling when a shot rang out and the bugles started moving away. We changed direction and as luck would have it the elk looped around and crossed a canyon ahead of us. We hustled to try and cut them off and get a shot as two herds were crossing the canyon but could only close to 330 yards. My wife is pretty solid at 200 yards but haven't practiced further than that so they were out of range. We spent the rest of the day hiking uphill into the high country, hit 9500 feet and elk sign was everywhere but it's so thick and steep the only way to hunt them I think is to sit a trail. I'm not sure either of us have the patience for that so we made our way back down. Was a very long day but learned some stuff and saw some great country:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nap time:
[Linked Image]

Day 2 we were up early and hiking in the dark to a small spot of high ground with feeding area all around. We had been there about 15 minutes when my wife spotted some elk. She was pretty excited but it looked like 2 bulls, moving left to right along the ridge. After awhile we could see a cow and 2 calves but they didn't offer a shot and disappeared below the ridge line. We waited as we could still see a spike bull and sure enough another cow and calf and another spike popped up. My wife was situated with her rifle and there was a small log laying in front of her for a perfect rest and the cow finally offered a shot at 150 yards. The shot rang out and the cow just stood there. The other elk milled around and by the time my wife had another round racked the cow was walking. I could tell she was hit hard, her hind legs did not want to move with her front half. She had the look of a dead elk walking but she came to a stop and her head was back up looking around. Her calf stood right in front of her blocking a shot. They stood there for about 30 seconds when she finally tipped over. Waited to see if another cow would offer up a shot for our friend but no dice. So we made our way over and took some pics before the work started.
[Linked Image]

The cow must have been quartering towards, entrance was perfect about an inch behind the shoulder, got both lungs and made a mess of the liver. Just clipped the stomach but not near as bad as it looked.

She fell about a mile from the truck, took 2 trips with 2 packs. First load was the heaviest:
[Linked Image]

I tell you what, there is nothing in the world like watching an elk tip over. I love it. All the preparation, logistics, load development, the numerous trips to the range making sure the rifle is sound and that she could shoot consistently, waiting for months to get out and go, going over shot placement, all the miles hiked... so many hours of thought and energy put into reaching an objective and it's all validated when you see that elk fall down. I can't get enough of it. I couldn't be happier about wife wife shooting this elk, last year she got a deer but it was a buck we saw 5 minutes into the hunt from the road. This was the real deal, she had to put her time in and put her miles in. It's soooooo much more satisfying to do it right.

Rifle:
Nosler TGR 300WSM
180gr Nosler Accubond
66.6gr AA 3100
I bought the rifle earlier in the year and she drew first blood with it. She nuts up to that 300 better than a lot of dudes, she can be a rough customer wink

One more of the elk killer:

[Linked Image]

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nice work

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Great job!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations! She must be on cloud nine right now. smile

Eric

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hey friend, that is fantastic. Congratulations on hunting with your wife, and her getting a very nice cow.

Good times.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Congrats to you and your wife on her elk. Wonderful write up and pictures, that's as good as it gets! Way to go!

Golden............
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very cool. Congrats to your wife.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well done! Congrats to you both!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well done!
Zeiss scope on Her 300 WSM?

Molan Labe
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice job!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AMRA
Well done!
Zeiss scope on Her 300 WSM?

Yeah, Conquest 4.5-14x. Gotta be able to see them little coues deer wink

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congrats to her on her first. And buy her her own rifle!

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good for her!

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Very nice, Well done. IMHO the cows eat a lot better than any rutting bull.

NRA Range Technical Team Advisor-Retired
Nra Endowment member
TSRA member
NRA F-class Master
NRA Pistol Coach-Retired
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

huntinaz:

It's great to see a lady getting into the action. Well done.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Beautiful job! Congrats...know you are proud of her.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Excellent!! Best to you both..

Molon Labe
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Well done..Congrats.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Grilled up a tenderloin over oak coals for dinner. I love elk.
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (17Fan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,319
Posts18,487,362
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.