Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd avoid the 2.5-8x Leupold, it looks as if steady use might lead to Melanoma...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Oh please.........for the tactical crowd, maybe, but the average hunter will never wear out a 4200, Conquest, or a VX3. Probably 80-90 of our hunters have shown up in camp with Leupy's of some variation and hunted all over the world with no issues.

Just the facts from a non-statistical sample of the "average hunter":

Every year about this time a lot of rifles are checked for zero at my place. I am there for each one (nobody allowed there alone). Most of the time I end up doing the shooting. Its usually the same crowd every year with the same rifle and scope. Most scopes are Leupolds of some sort or the Zeiss Conquest. These are most all capped scopes, no external adjustments. The last person that touched the adjustments was me the prior year. Most all rings are now Talley LW's (in other words, the rings aren't moving). Most always its the same ammo and lot/load as used the prior year.

Way more times than not the scope needs adjusting. I'm not talking about a click or two, but big swings. Sometimes its huge. Within the last week one was off at least 20".

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Scopes that consistently have problems before the first day of shooting is over, don't give me a warm fuzzy.

You are correct that the average hunter will never "wear out a 4200, Conquest, or VX3". Of course the average hunter shoots less than a box of ammo a year, is "sighted in" when he's somewhere near the center of a paper plate, "zeroes" with the cheapest ammo and "hunts" with the good stuff, shoots with his barrel on the rest and drives his 4 wheeler up to the shooting house overlooking a food plot.

He wouldn't notice if the zero moved 2 inches let alone half an inch. He wouldn't think to, nor understand how to check whether his scope is tracking correctly and consistently. The most abuse he offers a rifle is pulling it from the padded safe, into a padded case, in a padded truck.

In short the average hunter isn't a barometer of much of anything.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd put a 6x42 on it with an M1 turret and call it a day.

That's it!

Or spend 1/2 the money and get a SWFA SS 6X MQ, spend $30 on the easy to use zero stop kit, and call it a day.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I've never seen a 2.5-8 Leupold before.....

[Linked Image]

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

That's laughable at best.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

That's laughable at best.

Spend a week at a public range and get back to me.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't need to see proof of anything in which I already know to be fact. 42 years around "average hunters" verifies such. Not sure what kind of clowns you hang out with at the range, but I don't consider everyone at the range I frequent to be average hunters.

Note to self.....tactical shooters and knob twisters are the only source of accurate information on anything hunting. Thanks for the tip!

40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I'd put a 6x42 on it with an M1 turret and call it a day.

That's it!

Or spend 1/2 the money and get a SWFA SS 6X MQ, spend $30 on the easy to use zero stop kit, and call it a day.

You'll trade me two SWFA SS 6X MQ for one leupold? Which Leupold? I've got a couple laying around, in like new condition, I'd traid for two SWFA SS 6X MQ in same condition. What is the warranty on SWFA SS 6X MQ? Lifetime? Transferable?
Want to try a couple so maybe we could work something out on a 2 for 1 deal.
Pete

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Was the topic about "hunting" skills?

Why get so upset over an inanimate object?

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I don't need to see proof of anything in which I already know to be fact. 42 years around "average hunters" verifies such. Not sure what kind of clowns you hang out with at the range, but I don't consider everyone at the range I frequent to be average hunters.

Note to self.....tactical shooters and knob twisters are the only source of accurate information on anything hunting. Thanks for the tip!

You're a very emotional person.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't get upset or emotional about inconsequential topics such as optics, or the guys that make asinine statements such as......

or the people who defend them.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 40O
You'll trade me two SWFA SS 6X MQ for one leupold? Which Leupold? I've got a couple laying around, in like new condition, I'd traid for two SWFA SS 6X MQ in same condition. What is the warranty on SWFA SS 6X MQ? Lifetime? Transferable?
Want to try a couple so maybe we could work something out on a 2 for 1 deal.
Pete

Pete,

What I said was you can buy two 6X MQs for the same smack as one Leupold with an M1. And be twice as happy.

I have one Leupold left, and you'll see it advertised here soon.

I have 2 6x and one 12X SS, and I'll keep them.

I don't expect to buy or trade for anymore Leupolds.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't get upset or emotional about inconsequential topics such as optics, or the guys that make asinine statements such as......

or the people who defend them.

The average hunter can't shoot worth a pile of dog poop. smile

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Oh please.........for the tactical crowd, maybe, but the average hunter will never wear out a 4200, Conquest, or a VX3. Probably 80-90 of our hunters have shown up in camp with Leupy's of some variation and hunted all over the world with no issues.

Just the facts from a non-statistical sample of the "average hunter":

Every year about this time a lot of rifles are checked for zero at my place. I am there for each one (nobody allowed there alone). Most of the time I end up doing the shooting. Its usually the same crowd every year with the same rifle and scope. Most scopes are Leupolds of some sort or the Zeiss Conquest. These are most all capped scopes, no external adjustments. The last person that touched the adjustments was me the prior year. Most all rings are now Talley LW's (in other words, the rings aren't moving). Most always its the same ammo and lot/load as used the prior year.

Way more times than not the scope needs adjusting. I'm not talking about a click or two, but big swings. Sometimes its huge. Within the last week one was off at least 20".

No telling what idiots might be doing with their rifles. I've not had a problem.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I can't believe nobodies mentioned Simmons.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

No telling what idiots might be doing with their rifles. I've not had a problem.

In the most recent case of 20"+ shift I know exactly what did it. The guy has a habit of tossing the rifle in the bed of a Ranger and bouncing around off road. Of course he tries to cushion it but apparently is not successful. .

I highly suspect vibration while traveling off road is what moves most of them.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ctsmith

In the most recent case of 20"+ shift I know exactly what did it. The guy has a habit of tossing the rifle in the bed of a Ranger and bouncing around off road. Of course he tries to cushion it but apparently is not successful. .

I highly suspect vibration while traveling off road is what moves most of them.

So why did you present this the first time as a case in point of regular old hunting scopes not holding zero, when in fact it was tossed around in the bed of the truck? Just curious, that's all.

Last edited by JGRaider; 10/14/14.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Because it didn't hold zero.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm sure they are all nice stable stocks that are well bedded too...

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,962
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.