Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What works and what don't?

Also. How do I make ballistic gel at home cheap?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I do have some Corbon jhp 90gr. Do they look/ work well?

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Google will reveal how to make ballistic gel. Look for the FBI protocol and it will have to be calibrated.

As for the 380- not for serious personal protection. Hollow points that reliably expand do not penetrate deep enough to reach vital organs, nor do they penetrate barriers well. FMJ'say penetrate deep enough, however suffer from significantly reduced wounding potential. If not for that 380 are hard to shoot well, generally unreliable, and they break.

If I absolutely had no choice but to carry a 380 (and you have a choice) it would be a Glock 42 loaded with BB 380+P 100gr Hardcast.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Get a Glock 42, a Colt Mustang, or a Sig 238. Dont mess with the cheaper guns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S&W Bodyguard (non-laser version) and Hornady Critical Defense for me!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Our Walthers have never missed a lick. Regards, Woody

Take a kid along.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The Sig P238 is a well-made, reliable gun. Pretty accurate, too. It's a miniature 1911.

The 380 is the 9mm kurtz, or 9mm short. It's a whole 2 millimeters (.08") shorter than a regular 9.

Kinetic energy is a poor indicator of stopping power, but the KE of the 380 is about half that of the 9mm, and a bit less than the 38 Spl. It beats the pants off the (relatively anemic) 32 ACP, which was a standard European police round for a long time.

The best stats I can find say that if you are accosted, and produce a handgun, 93% of the time your assailant will flee. So only 7% of the time does the cartridge you're carrying matter.

I have a few carry guns to choose from, 45 ACP being the second most potent. The one I usually carry is a Sig P238. The job of a concealed permit holder is much simpler than that of a peace officer. A peace officer has to subdue and arrest violent criminals. Concealed permit holders only have to survive, and, if possible, give an accurate description. In that case, the 380 in your hand is more valuable than the 45 at home in your safe.

Last edited by denton; 10/13/14.

Be not weary in well doing.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Google will reveal how to make ballistic gel. Look for the FBI protocol and it will have to be calibrated.

As for the 380- not for serious personal protection. Hollow points that reliably expand do not penetrate deep enough to reach vital organs, nor do they penetrate barriers well. FMJ'say penetrate deep enough, however suffer from significantly reduced wounding potential. If not for that 380 are hard to shoot well, generally unreliable, and they break.

If I absolutely had no choice but to carry a 380 (and you have a choice) it would be a Glock 42 loaded with BB 380+P 100gr Hardcast.

Ten inches doesn't reach the vital organs??

Bad guys must be really fat where you live.

With modern hollow points the .380 is not something you want to be shot with.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
11 1/4"

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
No, 10 inches of penetration is not sufficient for general use. The belief that should you need to kill another human being that it will always be or even usually be, a perfect faced chest shot with no intermingling limbs, barriers, or heavy clothing is simple ignorance. There is a reason that the FBI protocol requires 12-18 inches of penetration through all barriers and consistent, reliable upset.

.40 expanded diameter is very impressive. Almost like a 40cal FMJ which is also a poor choice.

Betting on a poor bad guy to pee his pants at the sights of a gun is poor planning at it's best. Always interesting to note that people think that they will rise to the occasion and become a gunslinging bad A, but the person who has made violence his life will become a feeble shill at the sight of a pistol or the sound of a shotgun being racked.

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
With the availability of solid 9mm's in truly compact sizes such as the S&W MP Shield, there are VERY few reasons to choose a 380 as a carry pistol, and even then the limitations and inadequacy must be acknowledged and accounted for.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Always interesting to note that people think that they will rise to the occasion and become a gunslinging bad A, but the person who has made violence his life will become a feeble shill at the sight of a pistol or the sound of a shotgun being racked.

About 80% of the time a gun is used to stop a crime, no shots are fired

Many criminals are really cowards once they realize the victim will fight back

There are no "absolutes", just endless variables

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
About 80% of the time a gun is used to stop a crime, no shots are fired

Many criminals are really cowards once they realize the victim will fight back

There are no "absolutes", just endless variables

Yup.

Criminals do not want a fair fight. They want an easy victim.

If you are accosted, you have a 60% chance of being injured if you offer no resistance.

Last edited by denton; 10/14/14.

Be not weary in well doing.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I personally like the Sig 230/232. Utterly reliable, accurate, flat, and light. It's great in an IWB holster, and comfortable to wear.

While the 380 is not the ultimate man stopper, Federal Hydra Shok 90gr is a good load and what I use.

A smaller, lighter, easier to pack gun on you is always better than a bigger handgun that you left at home.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The stupid.... It hurts.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
No, 10 inches of penetration is not sufficient for general use. The belief that should you need to kill another human being that it will always be or even usually be, a perfect faced chest shot with no intermingling limbs, barriers, or heavy clothing is simple ignorance. There is a reason that the FBI protocol requires 12-18 inches of penetration through all barriers and consistent, reliable upset.

.40 expanded diameter is very impressive. Almost like a 40cal FMJ which is also a poor choice.

Betting on a poor bad guy to pee his pants at the sights of a gun is poor planning at it's best. Always interesting to note that people think that they will rise to the occasion and become a gunslinging bad A, but the person who has made violence his life will become a feeble shill at the sight of a pistol or the sound of a shotgun being racked.

That 3/4 of an inch is going to make all the difference. crazy

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 10/14/14.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
You'll certainly get a lot of opinions here on what works and what doesn't. The simple fact is that any gun that you will carry on a regular basis and feel comfortable doing so is better than a .45 in the truck's glove box.

The last time someone tried to tell me that a .380 wasn't effective, I asked them if they wanted to be shot with it. I'm sure you can figure out the answer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's some bullet testing on the 380: http://shootingthebull.net/blog/final-results-of-the-380-acp-ammo-quest/

I have a S&W Bodyguard 380 and a S&W Shield 9MM by far the bodyguard is easier to carry.Both are accurate enough.
I did use some white paint on the sites of the 380 so I could pick them up better.
Ammo selection,IMO is very important when carrying a 380 for protection.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have the Glock 42. MUCH better shooting gun than the Ruger LCP or Kahr P380 (had both) short trigger reset makes it neat.

Of course if I get into a jam with a robber or deadly attacker I would be so ashamed and embarrassed knowing it was so inadequate and then to have to pull it out and really so ashamed of myself to actually have use it. I am sure bad folks would just laugh at me when they saw it.

FormD, the buffalo bullets are a great idea thanks!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My antique Colt Pocket Auto loaded with modern ammo is a normal companion away from the house. No, it isn't a combat handgun, but it is flat, concealable and accurate and frightening enough to retain my Rolex and my bride's treasures, at least up until now.

If I knew I was going to a gunfight, I would play Doc Holiday and bring my short A-5 stuffed with #4 buckshot and a pocket full of extras,,and a combat readied 1911

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

280 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 16gage, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 38 invisible), 1,947 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,167
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.