-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
OK, so here's the deal. I have a nice pair of Swarovski binos. My son has started a participating in a sport where they say we need to bring bino's to the matches because they start way off and then finish way away but pass in front of you.

All well and good, except my wife (love her dearly) is somewhat lacking when it comes to the maintenance department. That is to say she is incapable of taking care of my equipment, ie. car is trashed out (empty water bottles and wrappers left on floor of car), always on empty when she is through with it, last time she accidentally pulled the molding off the door when it got caught and thought it was funny, ect. could go on for days but you get the idea. Now mind you she treats her stuff just as poorly, never could understand this but it is how she has always been. Additionally, she will leave things behind mine, hers, the kids it doesn't not matter just plain forgetful.

So with that background was not wanting to let her use my Swaros. I wanted something that if she lost, dropped or whatever I would not lay awake at night asking myself why I didn't get her some cheap bino's to take, but also wanted bino's that I might actually use as truck bino's or bino's for the kids to use (who come by the same traits honestly). The guy at Bass Pro was trying to sell me on these Oculus� 5.0 Binoculars at about 1/10th the price of Swaros.

Does anyone have any experience with these? If so, please share.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Never even heard of them! I would get her a lower priced binocular from Nikon, Bushnell, etc. that you knew was going to be around in case she dropped them in a couple years and needed warranty work, Lord knows where Oculus will be?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
They are the Bass Pro store brand, I think they are made by either Leopold or Vortex. I have always had exceptional customer service with Bass Pro and they are warrantied for life by Bass Pro, the guy at the store said anything goes wrong, your fault, our fault, nobody's fault; we fix them or replace them no cost to you.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just buy a set of Leupold Yosemite 6x binos, and leave the mystery glass for someone else to experiment with.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 on the Yosemites. 6x or 8x your pick. Super comfortable and fiddle free view. Cabelas has them for about $125 but shop around. I got them for about $90.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Was generally looking at 10x42, which is what I currently have; but the Oculus were in 15x56

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Leupold Yosemite 6x - they are what you want.

David

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
get the yosemites. a basspro dude tried to sell me on an Oculus scope the other day while i was lookin at the Redfields. wasnt impressed with the optics at all even just glassing around in the store and scope was heavy. the binocs may be better but id get somethinf else

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tucker- I edited my post after reading more closely what they were for.

I would still have her look through the 8x Yosemite first but if wanting more, then I would start with a look at the 10x42 Bushnell Excursions for about $125 or so. Trying to stay in budget. I would take a look at the Bushnell Legend or some Vanguard models if topping the $200 isn't starting to scare you off.

Good read for you,
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gu...s-best-new-spotting-scope-rifle-scope-an

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
could also look at the Redfield 10x42. they can be found for around 130-140

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Generally, what I am getting is that absolutely no one has any experience with this brand, which in an of itself says something in this crowd. Guess I will go back and look through see what else is in the price range, some have been referenced herein.

Thanks

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Tucker1965
They are the Bass Pro store brand, I think they are made by either Leopold or Vortex. I have always had exceptional customer service with Bass Pro and they are warrantied for life by Bass Pro, the guy at the store said anything goes wrong, your fault, our fault, nobody's fault; we fix them or replace them no cost to you.

Considering Vortex doesn't make any of their products - they have them made by companies in the far east and Leupold doesn't make their binoculars either I doubt they are made by either of those companies!

If the salesman at BPS is pushing them and they're a house brand you can bet he's getting a kick back on them as the profit on them to BPS is huge.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Get the Yosemite 6x, no matter how far away she plans on viewing things. She will thank you later.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by reelman
[/quote]

If the salesman at BPS is pushing them and they're a house brand you can bet he's getting a kick back on them as the profit on them to BPS is huge.

Well, no, not quite. No salesperson at BassPro gets a kickback on anything they sell.

These are the housebrand of Basspro (BPS), and BPS will stand behind them.

The Oculus 7.0 are better, but the cost goes up. Go back to BPS and look through all of the bino's in your price range, then pick the one YOU like best.

One advantage of the BPS brand is, if they fail, or you think they failed, take them to any BPS and get a new pair on the spot.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
IF you get 15x56, you may as well get a tripod at the same time..

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
OK. Two Big Thumbs UP

1. My decision to buy the Bass Pro Oculus Bino's and not allowing my wife to use my Swaros. They are great for the money, no not Swaro good but I dare say Leupold good.

2. As she lost the lens cover on the very first time out, guess I saw that one coming. Happened to be at Bass Pro Shops to get a coat for my 9 year old son and asked the man behind the counter if they sold replacements lens covers. I fully disclosed that we lost the covers there was nothing wrong with the Bino's and it was our fault. He said just bring them back with the box and he would defect them and give us a new pair. When I repeated it was not the fault of the binos, he just said he understood and would take care of it anyway. Went back with binos in hand and a completely different employee did the exchange after I told him the same thing. TWO THUMBS UP FOR BASS PRO.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Good to hear.

Anyone know for sure who makes these for Bass Pro?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 58 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,688
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.