Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Anytime you cough tiny particles from your lungs are spread into the air. This why you cover your mouth and wash your hands when you cough. If you are close enough to the person coughing then you could breath in these particles.
Yes and that's one of the ways the flu is spread and we know how many folks sicken from that virus every year. If this is the same as the flu, it has a MUCH higher mortality rate than most flu's with the same mode of infection unless I'm mistaken. That is cause for alarm.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
EE... again, the level of protection must be commensurate with the level of risk.

If you're wandering around in Cowboys Stadium this Sunday, you really don't need any protection at all. If you're going to be working in the ER at Presbyterian, you might like to have an N95 mask, but you probably don't need it.

If you're an nurse or doc in Presbyterian's ER dealing with patients who are actively vomiting and feverish but probably not Ebola, you'll want a higher level of protection yet, but still not the level needed for people providing hands-on care for active Ebola victims.

In my little ER out here in the sticks, where we currently have a minor epidemic of viral gastroenteritis (vomiting and low-grade fever, sound familiar?) and a reaaaaallllllyyy low chance of seeing Ebola, we're going with a more moderate level of protection. But we're also educating our public... stay home unless you're vomiting for more than 24-36 hours, etc... and we've got equipment and procedures ready should someone come in with true Ebola symptoms.

This situation SHOULD be manageable with relatively little fuss & bother, but as I've been saying for some time, the golfer-in-chief and his minions had better get a handle on the travellers coming in from Africa and start putting some serious resources into eradicating the outbreak in west Africa.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DocRocket
The mess we're looking at now is orders of magnitude worse, potentially. Panic is almost guaranteed. The degree to which it cripples the nation is the only thing we can't predict at this point.

One needs to prepare for the panic as much, or more so, than use their common sense in dealing with the Ebola threat itself.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
EE... again, the level of protection must be commensurate with the level of risk.

If you're wandering around in Cowboys Stadium this Sunday, you really don't need any protection at all. If you're going to be working in the ER at Presbyterian, you might like to have an N95 mask, but you probably don't need it.

If you're an nurse or doc in Presbyterian's ER dealing with patients who are actively vomiting and feverish but probably not Ebola, you'll want a higher level of protection yet, but still not the level needed for people providing hands-on care for active Ebola victims.

In my little ER out here in the sticks, where we currently have a minor epidemic of viral gastroenteritis (vomiting and low-grade fever, sound familiar?) and a reaaaaallllllyyy low chance of seeing Ebola, we're going with a more moderate level of protection. But we're also educating our public... stay home unless you're vomiting for more than 24-36 hours, etc... and we've got equipment and procedures ready should someone come in with true Ebola symptoms.

This situation SHOULD be manageable with relatively little fuss & bother, but as I've been saying for some time, the golfer-in-chief and his minions had better get a handle on the travellers coming in from Africa and start putting some serious resources into eradicating the outbreak in west Africa.
Many thanks for the info Doc. I've got plenty of N95 masks on hand and will admit to having just placed an order for 8 N100's. Sounds like I'm gtg.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Many thanks for the info Doc. I've got plenty of N95 masks on hand and will admit to having just placed an order for 8 N100's. Sounds like I'm gtg.

I just stay the fugg away from everyone... cool

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No need to panic guys just accept that 2/3rds or more of the population in the US will die from Ebola and you will probably be one and you can get on with whatever life you have left.

I'm serious this virus will go through the US like a house on fire. There's no way to contain it especially in the large metropolitan urban areas.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tim, Ive been watching these posts and seen all kinds of opinions. If it will go through the US like wild fire, why hasn't it done the same in West Africa, where they are more crowded, don't have, use, or know precautions?
I understand that it can happen....but why hasn't it?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
DD,

I doubt seriously that it will be rampant here as you say. If it has failed to wipe out 2/3 of Africa, I doubt it will here.

And there ARE measures to contain Ebola. Our POS in charge just hasn't implemented them... So, it falls to YOU to take precautions yourself.

I don't feel very threatened at this point, being as only a couple of people in the whole country have Ebola, and I don't plan on swapping spit with any of them.. But, I'm not going to stick my head in the sand and my ass in the air either. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by derby_dude
No need to panic guys just accept that 2/3rds or more of the population in the US will die from Ebola and you will probably be one and you can get on with whatever life you have left.

I'm serious this virus will go through the US like a house on fire. There's no way to contain it especially in the large metropolitan urban areas.

I heard that if you bath in fluoridated water it will kill the virus and ...

Eating canned sardines will boost your immune system and ...

Blue tape covering your nostrils will prevent inhaling airborne particles and ...

At the first sign of fever consuming large quantities of scotch (with fluoridated water ice cubes) will knock the chit out of the ebola virus and ...

If none of the above works ... shave your junk. grin

Don't worry DD. The campfire has your back. You're not going to die. smile

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I just pull my ol' bandana up over my nose and mouth.

But...... I don't carry openly while doing that.

It makes the cops nervous.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by curdog4570

I just pull my ol' bandana up over my nose and mouth.

But...... I don't carry openly while doing that.

It makes the cops nervous.
There was an open-carrier in the Pittsburg, Kansas Walmart the other night when we were in there. I'm not against open-carry at all, but gotta admit he looked like a dipshit. He would have looked smarter if he'd have had a 1911A1 instead of a Glock. They were stocking up on chocolate, the ineffective N95 masks and 270 ammo.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am just a dumb ole country boy, so all of this microbiology and virology chit is confusing.
Arguing about the subtle nuances of what is, or is not 'airborne', is funny. I'd venture to guess that not a single respondent has a degree in virology, epidemiology, or disease control.
If the chit travels through the air, and if the droplets or whatever are still carrying a viable pathogen, as far as I am concerned, it's
'airborne'. laugh

Sam......

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I sure hope this does not interrupt the broadcasting of Encore Westerns and Gunsmoke.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe
Tim, Ive been watching these posts and seen all kinds of opinions. If it will go through the US like wild fire, why hasn't it done the same in West Africa, where they are more crowded, don't have, use, or know precautions?
I understand that it can happen....but why hasn't it?

The US has more open travel than almost any other country in the world. Look at the nurse that traveled on the air liner the other day that has Ebola. Now the flight crew is guaranteed for 21 days but they have probably infected God knows how many, we'll have to wait and see see. Look at all the passengers on the plane and they went everywhere.

There are only four hospitals in the US that can handle Ebola patients but only a few at a time. No hospital in the US can handle a pandemic.

Then we have the 3,000 plus military personal in Libya. If you think they are going to come back infection free think again.

Oh yes, the medical people know that the virus lives for about 90 days in male semen. If you think men are going to suddenly stop have coitus think again.

Look guys I hope I'm wrong but based on the past performance of this regime I'm not holding out much hope and apparently neither is the stock market.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
DD,

I doubt seriously that it will be rampant here as you say. If it has failed to wipe out 2/3 of Africa, I doubt it will here.

And there ARE measures to contain Ebola. Our POS in charge just hasn't implemented them... So, it falls to YOU to take precautions yourself.

I don't feel very threatened at this point, being as only a couple of people in the whole country have Ebola, and I don't plan on swapping spit with any of them.. But, I'm not going to stick my head in the sand and my ass in the air either. wink

See reply to Ingwe.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

The US has more open travel than almost any other country in the world. Look at the nurse that traveled on the air liner the other day that has Ebola. Now the flight crew is guaranteed for 21 days but they have probably infected God knows how many, we'll have to wait and see see. Look at all the passengers on the plane and they went everywhere.

There are only four hospitals in the US that can handle Ebola patients but only a few at a time. No hospital in the US can handle a pandemic.

Then we have the 3,000 plus military personal in Libya. If you think they are going to come back infection free think again.

Oh yes, the medical people know that the virus lives for about 90 days in male semen. If you think men are going to suddenly stop have coitus think again.

Look guys I hope I'm wrong but based on the past performance of this regime I'm not holding out much hope and apparently neither is the stock market.

I take comfort in the fact that you are never right about anything.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What about Microbiology?

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

What seems to be confusing a lot of people is that surgical masks are not N95s, and even N100s still are only really N99.9s. The real danger with a mask of any kind is that it still allows the user to touch his/her face (especially the eyes as they're a great route to inoculate oneself) as well as allow airborne droplets to enter their eyes if they're in close proximity. The big advantage of a PAPR is that it prevents the user from directly inoculating themselves with body fluids. However, as doc mentioned above it's really a question of risk and unless you're a healthcare worker treating an actual patient none of them are probably necessary. You also have to realize the facemasks of any N rating require fitting and will leak if not suited to your face (especially if you have facial hair) so just going out and buying them because you "need" them is a waste unless you've been fitted for that model.

Last edited by bobhanson1; 10/16/14.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fish head

I heard that if you bath in fluoridated water it will kill the virus and ...

Eating canned sardines will boost your immune system and ...

Blue tape covering your nostrils will prevent inhaling airborne particles and ...

At the first sign of fever consuming large quantities of scotch (with fluoridated water ice cubes) will knock the chit out of the ebola virus and ...

If none of the above works ... shave your junk. grin

Don't worry DD. The campfire has your back. You're not going to die. smile

No worries on my part. At my age I have one foot in the grave and one on a banana peel. grin

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,380
Posts18,488,556
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.