Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Besides guns/hunting, my other passion in life is music, specifically hard rock/heavy metal. I've been to many great concerts over the years but a few really standout. I tried to pick one favorite but that was too hard to narrow down, especially from the first three. So, I settled for Top 5.

#1: KISS - Reunion Tour 1996
KISS was the band that started it all for me. I was captivated by the makeup and imagery like most kids of the '70s, but never had the thrill of seeing them live in the Glory Days. I saw them numerous times in the '80s-early '90s with the non-makeup lineups and enjoyed each show (especially the '92 "Revenge" tour), but dreamed of a reunion of the original four in full regalia. There was so much bad blood, nobody thought it would happen, but in 1996 the planets aligned and the Catman, the Demon, the Spaceman and the Starchild took the world by storm again and showed all the pretenders out there how the big boys did it. It was like time traveling back to 1977 and I felt 8 years old again. I knew it likely wouldn't last but it lasted longer than I thought and I was fortunate enough to see them twice more before the original lineup imploded again. The current "KISS" is a joke to me. It's now basically Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley and two imposters. The makeup belonged to Peter Criss, Gene Simmons, Ace Frehley and Paul Stanley. The original lineup is clearly done for good this time so they really need to ditch the makeup now, kick Tommy Thayer ("Fake Ace")to the curb, bring back Bruce Kulick on guitar, wipe Peter Criss' makeup off Eric Singer's face and revive the "Revenge" lineup.

#2: Black Sabbath - Reunion Tour 1999
KISS is my sentimental favorite, but from a pure musical standpoint, Black Sabbath wins hands down. Tony Iommi specifically is like a God to me. The man created the genre and has composed some of the most earthshaking riffs ever played on a guitar. I was a loyal Iommi follower throughout the many revolving lineups of Black Sabbath and was never one of the "No Sabbath without Ozzy" guys. Iommi was the creative force of the band anyway so I loved each "era" of the band and actually pick the later Tony Martin era as my favorite, even over Ozzy and the late, great Ronnie James Dio. I was one of probably three guys on the planet who was disappointed when Tony Martin was pushed out to allow the reunion with Ozzy Osbourne. The metal world rejoiced, while I cringed. That being said, my only opportunity to ever see Black Sabbath, in any form, live came in 1999 on the reunion tour of the original lineup. Sabbath routinely avoided my area of the South on their previous tours, but on August 8th, 1999, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, Ozzy Osbourne and Bill Ward stormed the stage in Greenville, SC and it was almost a religious experience. Ozzy was actually in fine voice and seeing Tony Iommi alone would have been worth the price of admission. The power generated from that stage was awe inspiring and my one and only chance to see the band that started it all will always bring a smile to my face.

#3: Stryper, Loudness, TNT - 1987
It might seem ironic that two of my favorite bands are Black Sabbath and Stryper. While Sabbath certainly sang of the darker side of life, Christian band Stryper showed that metal didn't have to be about gloom and doom. They took the music in a whole different direction and had the chops to pull it off. They were touring in support of their "To Hell With The Devil" album and they proved that Christians could rock as hard as any mainstream band out there. They were supported on that tour by Loudness, the band from the "Land Of The Rising Sun". Stryper and Loudness had a lot in common because they both had to prove themselves to a lot of fans, Stryper for the Christian thing, and Loudness for being Japanese. Both were regarded as "gimmick bands" by some. Loudness' guitar wizard Akira Takasaki, was and still is one of the most amazing guitarists on the planet, far eclipsing a lot of less talented axe-men out there who had bigger names. TNT opened the show that night and I had heard very little of them until that night. They held their own and converted me into a fan. Awesome show with three amazing bands.

Journey: "Frontiers" Tour - 1983
Journey is the only non-metal band that I am fanatical about. Neal Schon is such a fantastic guitarist that he brings a certain "heaviness" to the band that even makes metal-heads love Journey. They are the one rock band that my 75 year old mother even appreciates. They have written songs that transcends all genres. I have seen them numerous times over the years with several singers: twice with Steve Perry, once with Steve Augeri, once with Jeff Scott Soto and twice with current vocalist Arnel Pineda, but the '83 "Frontiers" tour with the classic lineup of Steve Perry, Neal Schon, Ross Valory, Steve Smith and Jon Cain was the one all others are judged by. I was 14 years old, that concert was on my birthday and I took my first real girlfriend to that show, a gorgeous redhead named Ginger (ok, her real name was Jennifer but everybody called her Ginger). Ahh, I still wonder if the carpet matched the curtains but never found out! Anyway, Journey was firing on all cylinders and put on a show I will never forget....

#5: Dio, Deep Purple, Scorpions - 2002
Three awesome bands and I saw it all from the front row (a first and last at any "big" concert for me). I never got to see the late, great Ronnie James Dio with Black Sabbath or Rainbow, but at least I got to see him once with his solo band. For a tiny guy of only 5'4", he sang like a giant. There will never be another one like him and I'm thankful to have been that close to him once. Deep Purple played all their classics and old Ian Gillan proved he still had that banshee wail that could shatter glass. I wish I had seen them with Ritchie Blackmore, but Steve Morse filled his shoes nicely. The Scorps also showed why they had been around for over three decades and Matthias Jabs made some of the most amazing sounds I've ever heard come from a guitar. A truly world class band and a concert great enough to land a spot in my Top 5.

Whew, didn't mean to ramble but I got carried away with the memories. Don't know how many metal guys are here and don't expect everybody to be familiar with the bands I mentioned but what are YOUR favorite concert experiences, regardless of genre?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buddy Guy, Tucson Temple of Music and Art, 1992

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Fleetwood Mac...

Boston 1972, St Louis 1987...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Steve Miller band in the 80's. Made out with a very, very hot strawberry redhead girl that I met there who had been seated in front of me, though she somehow became seated on my lap. Awesome.

ZZ Top, also in the 80's. There was a chick in a fishnet shirt with very large holes in the netting and no bra. Also awesome.

In 2006, the Rolling Stones in Austin. The Stones began with maybe 3 classic Stones' songs and then Mick Jagger stopped the whole show and said, "It's great to be in the Live Music Capitol of the World and in honor of that I'd like to a song that was taught to us by our old friend, Mr. Waylon Jennings." And then the Rolling Stones launched into played "Bob Wills is Still the King". The crowd went CRAZY. Super fun.

More recently I saw live Austin City Limits tapings of Shovels and Rope and The Avett Brothers. Both great shows.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Van Morrison, July 23, 1986. John Lee Hooker opened. It was transcendent.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Too many good ones to list. I roofed the house of the director of marketing for Gaylord Entertainment in Nashville. Spent several years being her personal Bob Vila.

She gave me all her prime holds on tix for years.Your show sell out in 45 mins? Pffft my sh*ts in Will Call in perfume scented envelope with my handwritten name on it. Grins

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The one I would consider my best was an accident. When I was in College the school had booked Living Colour which I liked at the time (still do). It was booked in the school auditorium but at the last minute it was relocated to a small club in downtown Pueblo Co. It was a former movie theater turned into a bar. Full stage as old movie theaters had back then. I still have no idea why the venue was changed.

The warm up band was the Black Crowes, before they had made a name for themselves. Living Colour was awesome from 10 feet away.

You could tell the bands enjoyed the venue as it probably was better than the basketball court and wooden bleachers. Both groups put on a great show. I was young enough to actually be in the mosh pit.

ELO back in the day (Second greatest show), Jethro Tull, Kiss (but I did not remember that show till years later), Aerosmith, Styx, Scorpions, I am sure a few others. Sadly I missed Led Zep even though I had the opportunity, never regret not seeing the Dead, missed Metalica and Guns and Roses, probably too poor at the time.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Journey Frontiers tour in 1983 and close second was the Styx Kilroy was Here tour later the same year. Those were my first two concerts.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chris LeDoux at the fair grounds mid 90s. Guy could really put on a show

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Rush, Tuesday, April 6, 1982, Baton Rouge

My first big rock show, and the band was at the height of their powers. When they opened up with the 2112 Overture at full volume the Riverside Centroplex was rocking.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stevie Ray's last two concerts.
His last song with his brother Jimmie,Clapton,Robert Cray, and Buddy Guy was.....no good words.
Drove from California and set next to folks from 10 miles from our house. "Festival Seating".......on the grass.

Roy Orbison's tribute concert. 48 artists from Dylan to John Lee Hooker to Iggy Pop to the Byrds to Townsend and Cash on video feed.

Cream at Madison Square in 2005.

My daughter was there for all of them. She never understood the Michael Jackson thing.

God bless her for putting up with her fathers ADHD. She didn't mind. Lol

For my birthday a couple of years ago she got me a bootleg of SRV last concert.
His last song was "Sweet Home Chicago" 15 minutes.

Being a single parent has it's advantages. The ex wasn't a blues fan.

And Dylan and the Dead tour was great. They were good that night.

Last edited by 257_X_50; 10/17/14.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Bob Dylan And His Band
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ & ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ Asleep At The Wheel~

> http://www.boblinks.com/033000r.html <

March 30th, 2000
Civic Memorial Auditorium
Fargo, North Dakota

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Led Zeppelin in MSG, NYC,1977.
Seen many shows before and after and none came close.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Without question.

And on and on...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1. Ozzy - No More Tears

2. Guns N Roses - Use Your Illusion II

3. The Offspring - Smash

4. Blink 182 - Enema of the State

Ozzy and GNR played all the old good stuff, and rocked it from start to finish with no extended breaks. Ozzy mooned the crowd. lol. The GNR concert was one of the last before Axl Rose buffed up and changed his music style.

Eric

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ZZ Top, George Strait, Hank Jr

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Beatles in Jacksonville, 1964

Sam......

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Boston,Heart,and Van Halen.
Cotton Bowl Jam II

Last edited by mikeone; 10/17/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steppenwolf's last concert at the Clearfield County fairgrounds when John Kay announced his retirement.

The crowd went wild and he delivered 110%.

It was a Bike run for us and I believe I fell down a few times. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never been to a concert of any kind in my entire life. Not even country music. For some reason I don't feel deprived. smile

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (2500HD, 2UP, 405winash, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, 13 invisible), 1,649 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,123
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.