Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
This story was told to me as true: A guy I went to high school with was out hunting squirrels in October with a .22 rimfire. Seeing a deer, he killed it with a head shot from the .22. As this was during Illinois archery season, and as this guy had an archery tag, he shoved an arrow into the bullet hole, tagged the deer and took it to the check station and got it checked.(This was back when you actually had to haul your dead deer to the check-station.)

It sounds plausible, but I have to wonder why the DNR guys at the check station weren't a bit suspicious of a deer head-shot with an arrow. Not being A bow hunter myself, I'd think it would be difficult to kill a deer by shooting it in the head with an arrow.

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
My game warden has a lead test kit to see if the hole in the deer was from lead or carbon/alluminum.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Don't know if I ever told you the story of my being "south of Vegas" in 1996?

I worked at Hart Mountain Refuge on my first of several sage grouse projects for OSU, from mid-March till July, lonely and bored young man that I was, I often went to Lakeview for the weekends to socialize. I will add that I had Grandpa's old green perfectly cherry 1971 1972 Chevy Pickup, Camper Special and it cost no less than $90 to go to town and back at about 7 or 8 MPG on a volunteer's wage of $15/day 5 days a week, a loosing proposition if there ever was one... One of the few local haunts was called the Indian Village, generally a pretty good time on the weekends filled with a mix of society and that offered at least the glimmer of a chance to get a little. The Village, it was painted a pastel kinda sunset light orange color that would glow nearly as much as me in the late June evening light. Well, there'd been some big hurricane down in the SE states, the year or two previous I think it was, and the Federal Government had bunches of these surplus NEMA travel trailers parked in Fort Worth, Texas that the GSA was dulling out to the various agencies. Our Refuge manager acquired three of them to use for bunk houses, so the crew set about driving down in three pickups to pull them back and I begged myself along for the adventure, never having been to such destinations... First day we blasted down through all of Nevada and stopped for the night in Boulder City, just "south of Vegas". Me being me, and 27 years young, I celebrated with the three respectable good ol' boys then headed out on the small town ending up at a rather festive place with booze, music and dancing as I recall. My favorite kinda place during the 90's. Next thing I know, this well-armed Officer of the Law is questioning me. He asks, "do you know where you are". I looked up from the sidewalk, peered around and saw this pastel colored building glowing in the pinkish orange light and eluded to the officer that I did indeed know my whereabouts! 'Lakeview, Oregon,' I pronounced with certainty. Well, he 'plained to me that I was quite mistaken, that I was witnessing the glow of the sun rising to the east, and I was in fact in Boulder City, gem of the fine State of Nevada, where sidewalk snoozing is frowned upon, and not such a good idea because of the preponderance of rascals at that hour of the day. The Lawman drove me back to the Hotel where my co-workers were just recently up, well rested and ready to hit the road. My Government standing was quickly, yet a tad bit reluctantly, verified, and away the Officer went. Next stop SanteFe', then Amarillo, onto DFW and back to Hart Mountain, a grand six day round trip. BTW, coming into Amarillo, we never did hear THE song play, which was rather disappointing to all, and the very beginnings of my disappoints associated with the Lone Star State. Thinking back on being "south of Vegas" makes me gracious to be in the present and should clarify where my handle stems from. (-:

Last edited by oregontripper; 10/14/14.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by 280shooter
This one made it to print:
On the '34 trip, I again saw a 7x57 Mauser
fail miserably on mule deer. The president of
KNX's brother-in-law carried this rifle. I for-
got his name. Anyway I got him a shot at an
awful nice buck with a good head at about
250 yards across a gulch. He hit him in the
neck and it took off a vertebra and over an
inch of the spinal cord. The buck dropped
and laid there, and while we were crossing the
gulch he jumped up and took off again. He
hit him again and piled him up, so we got the
buck all right but that 139-grain 7 mm had
failed to do the job. It had cleared the spinal
cord for over an inch and yet it hadn't put
him down to stay. He was able to get up and
run.

It was this sot of thing that caused me to be skeptical of anything Keith wrote..clearly the agenda was that if the vertebrae and inch of spinal cord had been blown away by a 333 OKH and 250 gr whoosis bullet, all would have been well with the world.Sometimes I think he made stuff up just to get a rise out of readers....and push an agenda. Many of his readers believed this nonsense...I bumped into more than few.

Despite his knowledge,I found you really had to sift through his writing to find the truth...this sort of stuff in print destroyed his credibility with lots of folks.

Of course IIRC Keith had little education. And if you re-read that post, it could indicate that the bone off the top of the spine had cleared. It never said it severed the spine at all. ANd since it ran off, you can figure it didn't. Its very possible that the bullet only frag'd off a 1 inch piece of bone.

Which could or could not kill or paralyze the deer.

I"m not saying he didn't lie, but I am saying that its may not mean what folks interpret it to.

And it could be that a larger round/bullet may well have made the difference in that instance. Or not.

Of course if they'd have shot it in the lungs like you are supposed to, it wouldn't have mattered or required a 2nd shot.

Like I said I like some of Keiths theories. And its made me try some shots on targets that I though he was nuts, but you find that you could do if you shot enough probably.

Regardless otehr than a 270 I own I'd never buy a 270. LOL.

Jeff

Either way, this is how I interpret people like Elmer.

"Really awesome me took really dumb guy (so dumb I don't remember his name) hunting"

"Really dumb guy brought a POS 7mm which I have always told people not to use"

"My amazing abilities as a guide enabled really dumb guy to get close to a nice deer"

"Dumb guy's POS rifle failed to do the job just like awesome me predicted."

"Now everybody please SMD"

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
^^^^^^

This.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Biggest BS story I heard was from ingwe... whistle

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image]

And besides...you were drunk at the time...how do you remember the story? grin

Last edited by ingwe; 10/15/14.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You didn't see the stenographer? shocked

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No, I was drunk too....

All I remember was fleecing you out of a nice BDL stock for $50 grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ohhhhh...and I vaguely remember eating your steak and lobster and drinking up all your Buffalo Trace.

Then sneaking out first thing in the morning before you could tell me what an ass hole I was...... whistle

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Most of my biggest hunting/shooting bs stories came from my Montana Hunter's Ed instructors... He was giving a "course" on muzzleloaders, and had a rusted out, piece of junk in-line with a broken off triggerguard for the demo.. When he got to muzzleloader "safety", he told us if the gun would not go off, the only safe thing to do was to throw it in a lake or other body of water... That sounds like a good idea. Don't ask me why he wouldn't just unscrew the breech plug and ram the charge out. His preferred method of cleaning this muzzleloader was to run a nice hot bath, and clean it while he took a bath. Seriously.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Last week I was standing in a bar in the Gaslamp District of San Diego and a guy standing next to me started talking about guns and how a .45ACP would instantly drop an assailant just by shooting him in the leg. Said assailant would be completely out of the fight. It was too much gun for the guy in the bar, that's why he carried his 9mm Makarov that had been bored out to .380. It always ended the fight with just one shot without the extreme damage that the .45 caused.

Ed

I knew a guy who had a Ford Mustang with a 5L engine "bored out to 302". You think they are related?

Or the guy who told me his 350 Chevy ran like a short block 400 (wonder how the 400 runs without heads??)

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
"That Dog was the best I've ever had. He held every Grouse until I walked up and flushed it and never busted a single Grouse."

"This was Dad's only shotgun, I don't think he ever missed a bird with it."

Fellow I ran into one time while Grouse hunting told me: "When that first Bird gets up, don't every waste your shot. Set your feet and get ready for the next one." Then again, he may have been a vary serious Grouse hunter. smile

"Might as well take a nap in the afternoon, Deer hole up in the afternoon and you will only bust them out and probably never even know you did."

....and my campfire favorite. "That rifle-standard off the shelf issue-is an all day half-inch rifle."

"When I do my part."

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One time at band camp......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
you went to band camp eek shocked

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The U.S. had this black president and that SOB was the best president we ever had............

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the early-to mid 80's when I used to work a gun counter every Saturday, this one guy would come in and always tell tales of hunting out west, and being that we were in SC, they were very unique to say the least.

One day I was at my unk's and he had a then new 10ft satellite dish, and I was introduced to what became the outdoor channel. Oddly, many of the stories that great white hunter told were being played out by other people on shows that I until then had never seen!!!! Hmmmmmm.......

I watched one that was about deer hunting, mulies near some river (Powder?) in Montana, and there was a particular bit about stalking up to little stands of trees and just hunkering down, then dropping down along the high bank and easing up to the next stand of trees. I tried to memorize as much of it as I could. A few weeks later, in comes our great white hunter, who soon begins extolling his latest-greatest kill....the details were so similar to the show, I finished several sentences for him! He looked at my wry grin, realized I had a satellite too, picked up his stuff, and left, never to be seen again

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I just heard this one this morning.

Seems the guys 7-08 was so slow that he shot at a coyote at 300 yards and set the rifle down on the ground before the darn bullet even got to the coyote.

He just bought a 280 to replace it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also remember that many a person would come in to the gunstore and say "My ________ (insert relative here) Has a 38 on a 44 frame......"

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 1936M71, 222Sako, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,440
Posts18,489,455
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.