-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One thing that didn't make sense to me - for Pitt to have fought the Germans from Africa to the last weeks of the war in a tank and to do it with his crew - seems like with the attrition in armor and that time line - he'd be better n E6. But I don't know the exacts of war time promotion or the rank structure of the Army in the ETO at the time.

Me

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by teal
One thing that didn't make sense to me - for Pitt to have fought the Germans from Africa to the last weeks of the war in a tank and to do it with his crew - seems like with the attrition in armor and that time line - he'd be better n E6. But I don't know the exacts of war time promotion or the rank structure of the Army in the ETO at the time.

My Grandfather fought the Germans in 6 different countries, starting in N Africa and ending up in Austria at the end of the war. He was an E-1 in England before going to Africa and an E-5 at the end of the war. Some people certainly gained rank fast but I think the most were lost in the shuffle and didn't get promoted very fast at all.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Read Deathtraps.

At end of war the Third Armored Division totaled up its losses in ETO. Destroyed tanks(not repairable) totaled over 500% of its usual 262 tank inventory.

Fort Knox had shut down its tank training program in 1943 felling there were enough crews to last the war. By March '45 they were putting raw infantry recruits as tanks crew and commanders.

Last edited by websterparish47; 10/20/14.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

My Grandfather fought the Germans in 6 different countries, starting in N Africa and ending up in Austria at the end of the war. He was an E-1 in England before going to Africa and an E-5 at the end of the war. Some people certainly gained rank fast but I think the most were lost in the shuffle and didn't get promoted very fast at all.

Probably basing it on what I was seeing in the Army between 2002 and 2006 - seemed like the E4 you went to language school was E6 a year later. Wasn't exactly but some sure seemed to get promoted fast compared to those of us in the Navy and we were promoted fast compared to the AF.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He might have been like a few career NCO's I knew where they'd get E6 or E7, then get really drunk and disorderly and be busted back a few ranks, then work their way back up. Wardaddy seems like the kind of guy who probably popped a few of those 90 day wonder butterbars in the chops. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was poking around the net and found that the Tiger tank in this movie is a real Tiger captured during WWII, and is apparently the only running Tiger tank still around.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mV7TRLpCM48[/video]

The film crew related a spooky story. They said when they got the Tiger on set and brought the Shermans out for the big scene, the Tiger started up by itself and its gun started tracking one of the Shermans. One cameraman swore he could hear voices singing the Panzerlied faintly, like they were way off in the distance...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Was poking around the net and found that the Tiger tank in this movie is a real Tiger captured during WWII, and is apparently the only running Tiger tank still around.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mV7TRLpCM48[/video]

one of the cooler series ive seen...

Last edited by rattler; 10/20/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Those men who fought that conflict were some dedicated and tough individuals. Truly the greatest generation.

Indeed, but I dunno that there were ANY Sherman crews that went in in North Africa and then to Europe who were still alive in April of '45.

The death rate of WWII tankers was absolutely horrid. German tanks were far heavier armored and packed much more powerful main guns. German anti-tank guns and Panzerfaust were for killing RUSSIAN tanks which were also far better than ours. American tankers won battles by blood,balls and numbers.

diesel vs. gasoline...

diesel vs. gasoline...Sherman tanks... �Ronsons� cigarette lighters �Lights up the first time, every time!�

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
major difference between us and the Germans was how we went about manufacturing....Germans had better designs but they were being built closer to custom vehicle, lots of hand fitting....they were made like guys like Porsche who were used to making small production runs....we had designs that were nowhere near as good but we handed over manufacturing to the guys that made thousands and thousands of the same thing over and over again so in the end between the fact we had more and the Germans did not have access to quality fuel they got screwed.....more Tigers and Me 262s were parked do to lack of good quality fuel than we ever took out in fights.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Plus, the German engineer hasn't been born who could look at a mechanical design and not say, "I can make that same process work by using three times as many parts!"

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
that too, especially when it came to the suspension....the Tiger's and Panther's suspension systems were a nightmare to repare in the field....the American stuff,if not blown to hell to bad, was alot easier to fix

Last edited by rattler; 10/20/14.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I am going to see this movie. I can't wait for Netflix.

This is long, so digest at your leisure pace. My writing is sometimes a labor to read.

I am sharing this here because I can't think of a better place to do so, and also because I'm trying to create some historical narrative for my family. I am the oldest, so have the greater first-hand knowledge of my Dad's conversations and feel more responsibility to make sure this is not forgotten.

My Pop recently passed December 2012 at the young age of 86. He was in a Sherman with Patton's 10th Armored Division. Or, as he and his buddies would joke at reunions "Patton was with us".

I'm no military historian expert by any measure, so if I make any mistakes along the path of historical accuracy, feel free to correct them. I would appreciate it.

Dad didn't talk much about his wartime experience. So, anything I post here is a compilation of what I picked up from listening to him over a period of 50 years, mostly coming in the last 2-10 prior to his passing. So here goes:

He lied about his age to enlist in the Army because his Southern brood were of the stock it was their divine duty, and got into the tank corps. We're talking about Kentuck'ie, Tennessee, southern Illinois. Go there now and tell me it's any different.

He first stepped foot on French soil and got moved up to the front quickly. Somewhere after this time he or his buddies created one of their funny phrases.. "I'd rather face a German with a gun than have a Frenchman behind me with a knife". I don't know origin or history of that remark, but I've seen his buddies quietly nod their head in agreement when any of them uttered that phrase. I have no axe to grind in this matter.

As his unit was moving through France, in 1944, they were called upon to move quickly into an area around Bastogne, Belgium, in the Belgian part of the Ardennes forest. Everybody knows that story, so I'll leave that part to the experts, much more skilled in the history and story telling of it than I.

After the Bulge, Germany was falling apart and every grunt knew it. It was just a matter of time. Allied Air was kicking the crap out of them, and they had the likes of the entire Allied Army on their tails.

I believe situations after Bastogne affected my Pop more than anything else prior. Dad came to be best friends with his first tank commander, a Lt. and a true southern gentleman like my Dad. He was KIA by a sniper while doing recon out of the tank over a hilltop after they got into Germany. Pop was wounded first time soon after.

Dad was placed back in action a couple weeks later. This is around the time they went to an area called Dachau. "Daa-Kaa" , as Pop pronounced it in his humorous and limited knowledge of European linguistics. He said he and the guys passed out food, but were soon given the cease and desist because the prisoners could not handle the food. Many prisoners asked for guns to hunt down the Nazis who had fled into the forest, but Dad and his guys were again told no can do. Long story short, they couldn't stay long and had to head out. Pop told me later from what he read, many of the prisoners were already so far gone, he finally somewhat understood this order.

During this period in Germany, Pop shot down an ME109 that was strafing his column and, for that, was given the Bronze Star. Dad grew up in the 20's and 30's and was totally enamored by airplanes and the thoughts and dreams of flight. Heck, I've had them, too. Flying like an Eagle, banking and turning, effortlessly. We've all had them. Well, he was a fanatic about planes and flight as a teenager before entering the war. He collected flash cards of all the planes from all over the world throughout the 30's and was full aware of the structure, profile, and silhouette of planes from that period. I am proud to also have these flash cards and accompanying scrapbook in my possession. I believe that knowledge distinctly enabled him to identify the enemy plane and shoot it down before it could cause further harm to his group.

For many years, my family had the Swastika my Dad cut from the tail of the ME109 he shot down in our garage. That, along with an SS dagger, SS helmet were stolen by in-laws. My brother managed to get the original Swastika marked P38 out of the house before that happened, and Pop was able to personally give me back the guns I had bought for him. He never owned many guns during his life, that I saw. I think when I Christmas gifted him the .45, 9mm, and M1 carbine, that was the most he ever personally owned, including his .22 LR and shotguns.

The second time he got hit, his tank caught a Panzerfaust at point blank range, aided by a village woman in Ohringen, Germany pretending to sweep up debris, scouting for the shooter. Everyone in the tank except my Pop was KIA. (correction: after finding my 11 year old notes on a backup drive from my last computer; Dad and 1 other crewman managed to escape, wounded). Dad got blown out of the turret, multiple shrapnel wounds, and destroying his right ear drum for the rest of his life.

This marked the end of his action at the point of attack.

I have all Pop's medals, citations, unit citations, patches, and flag from full military honors burial. These include a Bronze Star for shooting down the ME109 and 2 Purple Hearts. I think he may have weighed in at 160-170 tops, soaking wet when he went in. He was long and dangly like me in my younger days, just a couple inches shorter.

This is the story of a real hero, as I knew him. He was my Pop. Was he a tough SOB? Yes. Was he a hardass? Yes.

We were coming back up from the north side of the lake one time. Beautiful day, bright sun-shiny. We come up on this pickup where this guy was putting a good hurtin' on his GF/wife. First thing out of the box, this guy tells my Dad to mind his own business or he's going to kill him. I remember my Dad first saying "OK", and then telling me to get back in the truck and stay there. I was about 15-16. Then, the guy threw the lady into the truck again and starting beating the hell out of her. Dad went back to the truck and beat his ass in the truck, mind you. Cleaned the guy's clock.. with the woman asking why he was hurting her man. Pop then came back to our truck and said it was time to go home.

I have many pics I would share of his from France, Germany, Bavaria. He REALLY liked the Garmisch- Partinkichern area. I'm just not too adept at posting them here, but if somebody wants to help, we can get them up. These include modern photos of the exact spot his tank took the panzerfaust round and the doorway where it was fired.

Don't want to bore you all with the narrative, but I felt I had to pass this real history forward, as well as my family's legacy in print. I have many pictures that I would gladly share. I just struggle on the Fire with posting pics, for some reason.

Last edited by local_dirt; 10/21/14.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if you want to email them to rattlermtgmail.com ill host them on my photobucket and get them up

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
forgot to add, hell of a story........hell of a story

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

This sounds similar to my dad's history of service. He served in the infantry under Patton. Saw lots of combat. Started in Africa and ended up near the German border at war's end. Wounded twice in combat, survived a tank charge at Kasserine Pass, the only member of his squad to survive. Dad finished as a 1st Sergeant. He might have made it higher, but dad was no angel, and got in trouble more than a couple times. There was a jeep that got rolled over in Africa while chasing some critters around trying to shoot dinner, some confiscated German automatic weapons in Italy that were used to target some communication wires-only problem was they were Allied lines, not Axis. And then there was the little episode of fishing trout streams in France with hand grenades. Problem was there was Brass nearby that didn't appreciate their morning being interrupted by what could have been actual combat.......... Dad was no choir boy, but he did his job, as so many did. If given the chance, knowing my old man, I don't think he'd have behaved any differently. That's just what guys did to blow off steam.

Last edited by gophergunner; 10/21/14.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This is long, so digest at your leisure pace. My writing is sometimes a labor to read.

Your writing is just fine.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I've come across a handful of stories of how infantrymen would have custom handgun grips made in-theater with plexiglas from crashed bombers. One story had it that a French civilian made them.

Found some when I Googled this: wwii plexiglas handgun grips

Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

[Linked Image]

Last edited by tjm10025; 10/21/14.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I had a great uncle who went across Europe with Patton's tank corps. Uncle Virgil had flat feet and expected a deferment, but Uncle Sam had other ideas. He was put in a tank where he didn't have to walk. He died before I was old enough to remember him and the only stories I have heard were those later related by my grandfather.

RVB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My gramps fought with the Cdn. Engineers, but I don't have any details. I asked him once about the war when I was a kid, and my dad had to pull me aside and tell me not to ask him that again.

Best line of the movie: "Don't get your panties in a knot. We still have hand weapons and a .50"

RVB #9272690 10/21/14
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
German tank crews referred to the Sherman as "Tommy Cookers"...and not because of the goofy little stove the English carried with them.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1936M71, 12savage, 1lessdog, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,956
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.