Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ministers to homos: "Our fee just went up to $10,000,000."

Last edited by 270winchester; 10/24/14.

Deus Juvat

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Okay - I see where you were going with that, then.

But the state having an interest in promoting marriage as a means to reproduction and cultural unity is not the same as having a right to usurp the religious sacrament of marriage vows and blessings. That's what the Church is supposed to be about in this respect. The Church should never have bowed to the state's desire to license marriage. We the People should never have submitted to manipulation through the tax code. The fact that these things are already in place does not excuse it as right or just. This goes back to something I posted early in this thread - to the effect that The Church should never have participated in this joint-ownership of the marriage rite.

I agree that govt taxes (licenses) for getting married should be abolished, as those are impediments to beneficial behavior rather than encouragements.
However, we do have taxes and they aren't going away anytime soon. Therefore the tax code, along with the legal code, should incentivize real marriage (not the homo unions).

And - just to get back to the OP - Two preachers and a building doing weddings for hire does not constitute a Church.

Since when does marriage have to be held in a church to be religious? Can it not be sacred outside of those walls?
And we aren't talking about "church" here. We are talking about religious beliefs. Why should an act have to be performed within the walls of a church to be religious? Should we all leave our beliefs at the door when we leave a church?

Also, you get into the profit/non-profit thing. That is only a legal distinction and not a factual one. Just ask the president of United Way what difference it makes to them. smile
Even if the chapel is "for profit" you get into the Goldilocks conundrum. What is "profit"? Is it the salary of the pres of United Way? Is it a modest house, car and food for a couple that runs a small business? Or could it even be the money that buys simple meals and a few clothes for a cloistered monk? Or can it only be profit if it appears on the income statement of a business registered as "for profit"?
Of course, there is no wrong or right answer to that because it's all your opinion. All could be construed as "profit".
So, it's a BS argument.

What this story really boils down to is whether or not the Gov't can force you to betray your God and worship at their alter instead.

Yes or no.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What this story really boils down to is whether or not the Gov't can force you to betray your God and worship at their alter instead.

They knew the rules before they went into the business
They still can choose not to perform the weddings

What they can not do is pick and choose their customers

Last edited by Snyper; 10/24/14.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You are an idiot.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you're going to have a discussion with me in which you attempt to describe "my" point of view, it would help if you actually read what I have written - and not just the last post. I have not been talking about Churches recovering expenses. I have been talking about deliberate profit-making from service fees, intended to help cover other costs not related to the services. Lots of congregations do this.

Okay, I quoted your post directly to determine your point of view. In that post at least, you were describing profit-taking by churches. I've been around an awful lot of churches, and yet to have been with a single one that was deliberately profit-taking on services to support themselves/building. Indeed, almost all that I can think of have actually undercharged the realistic cost of weddings specifically. In other words, the congregation is actually subsidizing the true costs of the wedding service.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Satan is doing a full court press. He will ultimately be totally crushed but things will get much uglier before it happens. This is just the beginning. He's trying to take down as many people with him as he can.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BarryC

Okay - I see where you were going with that, then.

But the state having an interest in promoting marriage as a means to reproduction and cultural unity is not the same as having a right to usurp the religious sacrament of marriage vows and blessings. That's what the Church is supposed to be about in this respect. The Church should never have bowed to the state's desire to license marriage. We the People should never have submitted to manipulation through the tax code. The fact that these things are already in place does not excuse it as right or just. This goes back to something I posted early in this thread - to the effect that The Church should never have participated in this joint-ownership of the marriage rite.

I agree that govt taxes (licenses) for getting married should be abolished, as those are impediments to beneficial behavior rather than encouragements.
However, we do have taxes and they aren't going away anytime soon. Therefore the tax code, along with the legal code, should incentivize real marriage (not the homo unions).

And - just to get back to the OP - Two preachers and a building doing weddings for hire does not constitute a Church.

Since when does marriage have to be held in a church to be religious? Can it not be sacred outside of those walls?
And we aren't talking about "church" here. We are talking about religious beliefs. Why should an act have to be performed within the walls of a church to be religious? Should we all leave our beliefs at the door when we leave a church?

Also, you get into the profit/non-profit thing. That is only a legal distinction and not a factual one. Just ask the president of United Way what difference it makes to them. smile
Even if the chapel is "for profit" you get into the Goldilocks conundrum. What is "profit"? Is it the salary of the pres of United Way? Is it a modest house, car and food for a couple that runs a small business? Or could it even be the money that buys simple meals and a few clothes for a cloistered monk? Or can it only be profit if it appears on the income statement of a business registered as "for profit"?
Of course, there is no wrong or right answer to that because it's all your opinion. All could be construed as "profit".
So, it's a BS argument.

Yes or no.

Which brings us back to the question of what is "forcing". You say any interference at all is forcing. I say making a distinction between a business and a religious practice is not. I say what has been recognized as "marriage" has already been corrupted by the secular world to the point that Churches long ago let that Pandora's box be opened - without even getting into gay weddings.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
If you're going to have a discussion with me in which you attempt to describe "my" point of view, it would help if you actually read what I have written - and not just the last post. I have not been talking about Churches recovering expenses. I have been talking about deliberate profit-making from service fees, intended to help cover other costs not related to the services. Lots of congregations do this.

Okay, I quoted your post directly to determine your point of view. In that post at least, you were describing profit-taking by churches. I've been around an awful lot of churches, and yet to have been with a single one that was deliberately profit-taking on services to support themselves/building. Indeed, almost all that I can think of have actually undercharged the realistic cost of weddings specifically. In other words, the congregation is actually subsidizing the true costs of the wedding service.

Well, good for you - seriously. Doesn't mean it isn't happening, and I never said all or even most do.

The "church" in the OP, is clearly a profit-making business though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Snyper - in this case you're right - they can't pick and choose their customers. But pastors of actual congregations (NOT these guys) CAN pick and choose. I have the right to tell ANY couple, hetero or homo, that I will NOT (or cannot) in good conscience, marry them. There is ALWAYS the option of a justice of the peace at the court house in those states where homosexual marriage is legal.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snyper

Key word there, in bold. If marriage is for sale, expect the usual government interference. We all went along with it as long as "the usual" didn't offend us. Now....not so much.

Heard this gem in church today...

"The Church should spend less time defending it's institutions, and more time just being The Church."

Context....What The Church does for others as representatives of Christ is more important than the preservation of it's traditions.

My position is if we all did so, the issue in the OP would not have any effect on us.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by selmer
Snyper - in this case you're right - they can't pick and choose their customers. But pastors of actual congregations (NOT these guys) CAN pick and choose. I have the right to tell ANY couple, hetero or homo, that I will NOT (or cannot) in good conscience, marry them. There is ALWAYS the option of a justice of the peace at the court house in those states where homosexual marriage is legal.

You're correct
Most keep missing the fact that this is not about "ministers" , but rather a BUSINESS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are an idiot.

I really don't care what you think about me

It's obvious you couldn't refute what I said in a mature, adult manner, so you just hurl childish insults at me instead, which makes you the loser in the discussion

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Wasn't the ordnance passed "after" they had been in business? And wasn't their mission statement fashioned before the ordinance passed?
Did I miss that?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No one's forcing them to do gay weddings. They can simply stop doing "weddings for profit". They are being forced to choose another profession, but so do we insist that burglars do the same. (No, I am not equating these people with burglars - just pointing out the legal angle).

The whole wedding industry is going to be effected by this - but the Church, IMO, should not be part of the wedding industry. And anybody who does not believe there is such a thing as the "wedding industry" has apparently never had to finance one.

The Church (God's Church) should never have sanctioned any connection of Church weddings to state regulation. IMO, the Church's role in Biblical marriage is or should be completely separate from civil authority. As such, there is no practical or Biblical reason for churches to charge any fee for weddings.

No money changing hands - no authority to regulate. Simple.

JMO. I don't like the way things are going either. I don't agree with any attempt to regulate what The Church may do regarding weddings with her own time and property. But two individuals marrying people for profit does not constitute a Church, IMO.

Pretty close. A license is required to solemnize marriages legally. A license is actually state control. So to solemnize marriages, and for them to have standing before the law, the state has control of every aspect

But before the law and before God are two different things. A marriage before God is valid before him, even if it isn't before the law. It has standing before God, but not law.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

Wasn't the ordnance passed "after" they had been in business? And wasn't their mission statement fashioned before the ordinance passed?
Did I miss that?

The Civil Rights Act was passed in 1964
A quick search finds:

http://hitchingpostweddings.com/about/

In 1989 the current owners purchased the Hitching Post

At one time Justice of the Peace officers performed the weddings at The Hitching Post until the position of JP was eliminated in the state.

Weddings are now done by ministers at the Hitching Post 6 days a week

Last edited by Snyper; 10/26/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You are an idiot.

I really don't care what you think about me

It's obvious you couldn't refute what I said in a mature, adult manner, so you just hurl childish insults at me instead, which makes you the loser in the discussion

You keep harping on the same thing I already shredded. Maybe if you'd actually read my posts you'd see they refute every one of your points. grin

The only thing I see you leaning on is assertion that the CRA is constitutional. Even Clarence Thomas has said he'd like to take that one out.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Sooo, how would it go if one went into a muslim cafe and ordered a BLT?

It's a place of public accommodation, ya know.

Maybe, homo wedding are just not on the menu, elsewhere. just sayin.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I think rikinbbar pretty much corrected your application of the Civil Rights Act. See post #9271456

If the people in question are not public officials they should be able to conduct their buisness occording to the dictates of their concious.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

So, you're on the side that government can give them to.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Armednfree
No one's forcing them to do gay weddings. They can simply stop doing "weddings for profit". They are being forced to choose another profession, but so do we insist that burglars do the same. (No, I am not equating these people with burglars - just pointing out the legal angle).

The whole wedding industry is going to be effected by this - but the Church, IMO, should not be part of the wedding industry. And anybody who does not believe there is such a thing as the "wedding industry" has apparently never had to finance one.

The Church (God's Church) should never have sanctioned any connection of Church weddings to state regulation. IMO, the Church's role in Biblical marriage is or should be completely separate from civil authority. As such, there is no practical or Biblical reason for churches to charge any fee for weddings.

No money changing hands - no authority to regulate. Simple.

JMO. I don't like the way things are going either. I don't agree with any attempt to regulate what The Church may do regarding weddings with her own time and property. But two individuals marrying people for profit does not constitute a Church, IMO.

Pretty close. A license is required to solemnize marriages legally. A license is actually state control. So to solemnize marriages, and for them to have standing before the law, the state has control of every aspect

But before the law and before God are two different things. A marriage before God is valid before him, even if it isn't before the law. It has standing before God, but not law.

Speaks of my point.

The Church should not be concerned about making things between two persons "legal". Nor should The Church be used or managed as a business for profit. The de-facto partnership in the marriage industry should never have taken place and should be dissolved. This is all about special treatment by the government of married couples. We should never have asked for that or allowed it to happen. We like social engineering by tax code when it favors our own bias - but now that it does not.....

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

394 members (12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 45 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,497
Posts18,490,459
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.