Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
I like a wells fargo advantage or eaton vance closed end mutual fund. Pays above 8% div, and pays out monthly. Reinvest, and let things start to snowball for you. I own a fair amount of EVV.

This got me to thinking I'm looking for something long term.
I have no clue when it comes to this stuff.

I'm 36 and want to plan for retirement.
Right now I just put 8% + 6% match into 401k. What else should I look into ( other than savings)

Thanks

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Right now I just put 8% + 6% match into 401k. What else should I look into ( other than savings)

Thanks

Dude this is excellent!

Look at your choice of IRA or even just a Monthly Investment Plan with your savings...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I like a wells fargo advantage or eaton vance closed end mutual fund. Pays above 8% div, and pays out monthly. Reinvest, and let things start to snowball for you. I own a fair amount of EVV.

Right now I just put 8% + 6% match into 401k. What else should I look into ( other than savings)?

Thanks

You are welcome.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
You should talk with your tax advisor
When you withdraw your money from the 401/402, etc you will be taxed at the tax rate for your income bracket at that time.
If you have any annuity or social security or any other income your disbursement will be taxed at a higher rate than you have currently It may also be subject to state tax as well.
There are some IRAs that you can invest in with after tax dollars and it will, should, net you more dollars
Just my experience and a FYI.
This is a very volitle market so beware of any type of fixed rate investment

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N

Thanks

On January 1st, increase it to 9%. Do that each year until you reach the max your plan will allow. You will be automatically increasing your savings rate, lowering your tax bill and learning to live on a little less which will make retiring to a fixed income easier when the time comes.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bought Greenbriar -GBX- the other day at 57.4; sold nov covered calls 65 strike at $3.10 today.

Fwiw; AAL broke out of a downtrend and will be buyable when it falls back to 20 day moving average soon. Sell weekly covered calls; rinse and repeat.

Last edited by JBARTRAM; 10/23/14. Reason: my error calling a new trend
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bought into oil drillers. Rig (transocean) and Hero (Hercules Offshore). Missed the bottom, but like the long term.

I work for Hercules. We (hands on the rigs) still shaking are heads about the low stock price. A great case of management out of touch.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JBARTRAM
Bought Greenbriar -GBX- the other day at 57.4; sold nov covered calls 65 strike at $3.10 today.

Fwiw; AAL broke out of a downtrend and will be buyable when it falls back to 20 day moving average soon. Sell weekly covered calls; rinse and repeat.

Actually, this one is a really good buy, based on solid peripheral experience and industry trends...

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Bought into oil drillers. Rig (transocean) and Hero (Hercules Offshore). Missed the bottom, but like the long term.

I work for Hercules. We (hands on the rigs) still shaking are heads about the low stock price. A great case of management out of touch.

I didn't go all in, but enough to either feel the pain or reap the rewards.. Looking forward to you guys getting your act together..(grin)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (BigDave39355, Bluethunder8, BALLISTIK, Akhutr, 13 invisible), 1,244 guests, and 902 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,148
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.