Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JMR40
To me.....

These are the key words. If everyone could remember that.

And Ringman, I don't think the OP was trying to tell others what to do. If you go back and read his post, it wasn't really anti-long range, just observing that new hunters aren't well equipped for short range because of all the emphasis on going long.

Inevitable that it would go this route though.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Although I agree with the OP about being over scoped in most cases, I'm a rifle looney. I used to shoot competitively. I like everything about rifles and glass. I simply find iron sighted .30-30's that could handle 99% of the game I've shot uninteresting.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
As long as this thread has degenerated Ill say I watched a show on Bubbavision last night where the dude was toting a Remington Stainless Fluted Sendero in 300 Ultra mag with a bipod and a VX-Hubble Scope from Leupold, complete with turrets.Laying proned out on some rocks he got a standing shot at a broadside bull elk at 230 yards.

Yeah, you guessed it.......missed twice.

On an animal the size of a Toyota Corolla....

Last edited by ingwe; 10/24/14.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The way I look at is, if possible a hunter will try to get closer every time. And then brag about how close they got....

A shooter will take the shot and then make a little sign with the yardage for the hero pic. And then brag about how far the shot was....

The guys shooting does at 1138 yards are obviously way more into shooting/gadgetry than hunting, that is not even debatable. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the LR guys actually back up for a shot just to brag they got one at blah blah blah yards.

And that's fine provided they are capable of the shot.

There is no right or wrong. Shoot or hunt, who cares so long as you cleanly take the animal.

(I'm sure some archery hunters think any rifle hunting is cheating)

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ingwe

Yeah, you guessed it.......missed twice.

On an animal the size of a Toyota Corolla....

230 yards? Just proves the point that most guys don't shoot enough and can miss equally well at any range. The amazing thing is, they showed the misses, they don't normally do that.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SamOlson

There is no right or wrong. Shoot or hunt, who cares so long as you cleanly take the animal.

Im with you Sammo...but I honestly prefer the hunting stories where the animals got powder burns on their hides....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Fun hunt, back in the day when I wasn't comfortable shooting 400+ yards. Caught a big whitetail bedded in a overgrown field.

I spent an hour crawling on my belly till I closed the distance to 250 yards (can't get closer, grass was thinning out) and then waited another hour and a half for him to stand.

Now that I own LRF's, turrets etc and have shot plenty past 1000 yards, I'd probably try to crawl closer.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RDFinn
or the filming and we'll leave it at that.

My gym has The Outdoor Channel on cable. I turn it on sometimes when I'm there. From my observations, the hunts they like to film the most are bow hunts.

Originally Posted by SamOlson
The way I look at is, if possible a hunter will try to get closer every time. And then brag about how close they got....

A shooter will take the shot and then make a little sign with the yardage for the hero pic. And then brag about how far the shot was....

And disapproving of one but not the other is just a personal value judgment. I'm not sure I'd call the long-range guy a "shooter" though, plenty like to do it both ways.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I hunt old reclaimed strip mines in east KY. I have shot most of my deer at 20 yrds or less in the timber. I am getting older Now bad back and knees and prefer to Hunt the more open spots were shots in the 400 to 500 yard range are possible. This year I will be a little more prepared for those shots. Bipod and all. grin

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
In hunting you need to have enough compassion for the amimal that you will pass up a shot that your not confident in .If you have a good solid rest ,and enough gun to still have energy at long range,and good glass,then I see no difference in that than someone feeling confident attempting a 100 yard,or less shot free handed.I live in an area,and have enough free time that I can be choosey about my shots,so I'm not much of a long range type hunter,but I can tell you that a good solid position to shoot from is more important than distance.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I just can't see going on a rant, or beating up other hunters on an ethics or skills charge, because all of them don't hunt the same way as you do.
Geez.

OLD age AND wisdom...

grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
You take the shot that is presented or you go home empty handed. If that means you need to shoot 300-400 yards, deploy your bipod, and wait for the animal to get into a good shooting lane across a canyon, swale, ravine, or creek from where you are, then I'm guilty as charged.
As said above- just another tool in the bag. Of course, it takes practice and decent equipment (not necessarily anything exotic)and the proper mindset. Not everyone who carries a rifle can or will make the long shots just like many guys can't hit a running animal if it was to run over him.

Nothing unethical about taking a long shot if you have practiced enough to make it with near certainty and you can't stalk any closer- a fairly common occurence in many areas around here. If you don't have the skill to make the shot, don't take it. Only you can decide if that means you or not.

Bob

I agree Bob, but a post like that needs pics...:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shot a blackbuck in the Hill Country back in the 90's from 250 yards...and it was all I wanted. He was a good one and they were moving further away...there was no way to get closer. I stood my porro prism binocular on its objective end (caps on) and shot across the top of my binocular (caps on there too). It was the only thing I could use for a solid rest. I was already past any cover and it was wide open between that animal and myself. That was the longest shot I ever made on a game animal. I still get excited...once I've made the decision to shoot, and commence to doin' it...my heart is in my throat. Nearly all of the deer and antelope that I've killed have been inside of 100 yards...and I prefer it that way for myself. Guys being able to center punch game animals from 300 yards or more, consistently and confidently, is pretty impressive to me. I do not have the ability to do that.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Interesting reactions to what I wrote, which was not intended as a "rant" but as a comment about how I believe most hunters would be better served by using appropriate versatile equipment and practising quick close shots. I certainly was questioning the culture of long range hunting shots, but in the context of new and inexperienced hunters limiting themselves with specialized equipment for long shots, and neglecting to practise fast shots from field positions. There have been a few thoughtful replies and I am grateful for them, but unfortunately quite a lot of defensive posturing from some folks. I was hoping for more of an informed discussion.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
doesn't hurt to be able to do both.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Sheister
You take the shot that is presented or you go home empty handed. If that means you need to shoot 300-400 yards, deploy your bipod, and wait for the animal to get into a good shooting lane across a canyon, swale, ravine, or creek from where you are, then I'm guilty as charged.
As said above- just another tool in the bag. Of course, it takes practice and decent equipment (not necessarily anything exotic)and the proper mindset. Not everyone who carries a rifle can or will make the long shots just like many guys can't hit a running animal if it was to run over him.

Nothing unethical about taking a long shot if you have practiced enough to make it with near certainty and you can't stalk any closer- a fairly common occurence in many areas around here. If you don't have the skill to make the shot, don't take it. Only you can decide if that means you or not.

Bob

I agree Bob, but a post like that needs pics...:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I was going to post some pics that look just like that but I haven't had a chance to load them to photobucket yet. We hunt country a lot like that. If you aren't prepared to shoot 400+ yards at times, and also 50 yards, you might as well stay in bed.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by castnblast
Interesting reactions to what I wrote, which was not intended as a "rant" but as a comment about how I believe most hunters would be better served by using appropriate versatile equipment and practising quick close shots. I certainly was questioning the culture of long range hunting shots, but in the context of new and inexperienced hunters limiting themselves with specialized equipment for long shots, and neglecting to practise fast shots from field positions. There have been a few thoughtful replies and I am grateful for them, but unfortunately quite a lot of defensive posturing from some folks. I was hoping for more of an informed discussion.

I see these statements all the time and my stock answer is that not all of us have the time or place to routinely go out and practice moving shots at game freehand and every other position or the ammo to do it these last couple years, with reloading supplies so difficult to get. On top of that, with all the a-holes doing damage in the forests these days, a lot of our shooting areas are being closed down and gated.

If you don't have access to places like this or own a large piece of dirt yourself, it becomes hugely difficult to stay in the practice most hunters would like to. Add in that with the pressures to stay employed these days, there isn't as much free time to pursue these objectives in a proper manner, it is a wonder any one hunts at all any more. Running people down because they are doing the best they can is counterproductive at best. Encouraging people to continue hunting and developing their skills as best they can will keep hunting viable and current.

No matter what, there are always going to be a certain number of "ill-prepared" hunters just like there always has been. Probably the reason so many of them hire guides to raise their percentages a bit.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The reality is that most deer hunters couldn't hit a circus tent at 300 (an honest 300) yards.

When I helped run the gun department at a large Reno store there was a vacant lot across the street. The fence on the far side was exactly 200 yards from the store window at the end of the gun counter. Customers would routinely estimate the distance at 300-500 yards...would swear to it...

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm guessing if you don't have a place to practice sitting, kneeling, and offhand shots at 50-200 yards you sure don't have a place to be verifying all your drop and wind drift charts/programs for long range shots. Which is something you dang sure better be doing if you plan on shooting at game at ranges of 400+.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
In my world the shooting is the easy part. Finding them is the challenge. I practice field type shooting several times a month. I often hunt coyotes and Jacks w/ a rifle so I understand moving targets. I also know if I see a Wolf outside of my 4-5 hundred yard comfort range I will wish I had better skills and appropriate equipment. Know your limitations and live w/ them or expand them, Your choice in a free country.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,227
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.