Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
tjk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Only pair of Wolverines I've ever had were by far the most uncomfortable boots I've ever put my feet in. Granted, those were never advertised as work boots, but still sucked for hunting ware, even after many miles and hours of "breaking in". Best luck I've had for immediate comfort have been with either Redwings or Rockies. If you like what you have try resoling if possible. If boot seems intact, possibly an innersole. Either way, hope you find a comfort level that suits you, cuz unconfortable boots truly SUCK.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Absolute worst pair of boots ive owned were Red Wing. Insoles were hard as a rock. Split between two for me, Timberland and Wolverines. I actually like cheap Bates side zips, but again the insoles hard as a rock after a week. Got a pair of Reeboks back in the spring that dont seem bad, a little heavy, but comfortable. Ill be trying them out when I go back in November.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
5.11 ATAC's

I have a good pair of Redwings but I got the weird oil/slip resistant soles and will one day replace with vibram or something similar

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buddy was telling me how redwings are made in china. Said your full of it as I took them off and showed him the made in china label. Oh well they are still comfortable even if i proved my stupidity.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guys posting on a chinese computer over an internet made of chinese parts wanting a USA boot crack me up..

Keens.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I don't understand how a pair of work boots could last 15 years.

As to the question I wear asolo hikers for work and just general everyday footwear.

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Doesn't meet your criteria for US made but, Timberland Pro 8"Titan boots work quite well for me. Comfortable from day one. I get about 10 months out of a pair of boots. I walk on concrete and gravel. Lots of big sharp rocks.
About $150. a pair.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He does a lot of whining, but not a lot of work.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
This:

Originally Posted by tzone
Get the red wings for god sake...they're made in your back yard

Many of their styles are made in the states.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
BTW, we just went through this last week:

What's Your Favorite Work Boot?

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thorogoods are great if you don't mind a wedge sole.

I like Chippewa loggers,without the steel toe.

My buddy has the Danner quarry boots and says they are the worst boots ever made.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
ive 4 pair of danners and owned many a wolverine. both good boots, but if price isnt an issue than Danners all the way. Wolverine is my second favorite boot, right behind the danners.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter
I don't understand how a pair of work boots could last 15 years.

2-3 years absolute max on work boots.

I have shoes that might be 10-15 years old but I never frikken wear 'em either......grin

The key to good boots is few seams as possible. Straight leather and a good sole. And of course stitching to hold it together.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got some keen newports that are going on 10 years, and I can't kill them, and not for lack of trying. Pretty amazing.

More and more guys are going to keens on the jobsite, and everyone loves them.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I always thought "Carolina's" made a decent work shoe/boot. Everyone's feet are different. My feet are wide, and Carolina's makes an extra wide and high toe box, and they always worked for me. I guess it depends a lot on what surface you're walking on for 8 hours a day, concrete or firma terra. Anyway, check out Carolina shoe makers. As good as Danner's looked, I ordered a pair and couldn't wear them. Along with a wide foot, I have a high instep, and Danner's didn't work. Where ever you order from, make sure you can return them. I've found that there's usually a trial and error period, before you find the right one. Good Luck.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Got some keen newports that are going on 10 years, and I can't kill them, and not for lack of trying. Pretty amazing.

More and more guys are going to keens on the jobsite, and everyone loves them.

I went to a local store about a year ago, looking for a walking shoe. I had just had back surgery and my Doc said I needed to walk for therapy. The guy sold me a pair of $125 KEEN shoes. Apparently, their work shoes are better than there walking shoes, because these phuggin things broke down quicker than a pair of Wal-Mart sneakers. It would be hard for me to buy anything with the KEEN name on it again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Then don't.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Then don't.

Sound advice.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Everyone has different uses for boots and wear them out differently.

A lot of guys swear by red wings but they won't last a year for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have:
keens, whites, hoffman's, nicks, buffalo, hawthorne, red wing and tony lama right now.

when I work at work as a crane operator, I like the keens. mine are slip on wellington type. I like them fine. theyre china built and I added cabelas perfekt insoles becaus they work for me and I work 12-14 hour shifts.

when I work anywhere where I need to stand on concrete or hard ground, I would throw my keens, red wings and tony lamas in the garbage. you can't beat a nicks or whites for that.

my hoffmans are easily the strongest shanked boots ever built. I can stand my 250lb arse on a ladder rung all day without fatigue.

they all do something better and worse than the rest, be it support, weight or cost. pick it based on the application.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (Amos63, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,377 guests, and 780 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,502
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.