Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It's a little louder but not that much. I've run it at 70 since I got it fixed and it's not bad at all.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by pal
You shoot yourself in the foot if you insist on supplying your own parts. First, you limit yourself to the lower tier mechanics who will take on any kind of job because they need the work. Second, you have no recourse on the outcome of the job, if/when it fails. If it doesn't fit, you are out the cost, so far, for the mechanic's labor, unless you chisel him out of his labor and his materials margin.

Just bad policy.

I have no problem with a shop obtaining the parts but I do have a big problem with them charging me more $$ for the parts than what I can buy them over the counter for...that's just outright gouging as I feel certain that shops get a discount on purchases so why gouge the client?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've worked as a mechanic and I never liked the mark up on parts. Its ok to charge 300% on a headlight or similar part you have setting around waiting for a customer. But to charge 100% plus for something napa just dropped at your door on order, and the customer will pay for before you do, seems wrong. If labor does not pay the bills then charge more. I dont like to be deceived, even if the end bill is the same at least its all in the open. JMHO

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
...I have no problem with a shop obtaining the parts but I do have a big problem with them charging me more $$ for the parts than what I can buy them over the counter for...

Auto repair shops make their money from the sale of parts and labor. They are under no obligation to price-match. When you are given an estimate, it includes both labor and materials. You can chose to sign it or not.

Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
...to charge 100% plus for something napa just dropped at your door on order, and the customer will pay for before you do, seems wrong. If labor does not pay the bills then charge more...

100%? Come on! If they charged you more for labor, you'd bitch.

Do you go to the butcher shop with your own cow? What friggin chiselers!

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by pal
[quote=teamprairiedog]...I have no problem with a shop obtaining the parts but I do have a big problem with them charging me more $$ for the parts than what I can buy them over the counter for...

I have no problem paying shops retail for parts, but the shops should and probably do get parts wholesale or at a big discount. My problem is when they mark them up way above retail. That is a bad business practice.
Example. I can buy a Dodge front end stabilize bar from Adavnced Auto for about $350. Shops can probably get it for less than $300 The last quote I got, the front end shop wanted $450 for the exact same bar. That shop does not get my business any more.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I ran a shop - we didn't care if customers bought parts elsewhere so long as they understood we warranty what we do - the labor. Up to them to fight the parts.

Parts dept didn't like it but it forced them to be competitive. More than once I went into the parts mgr's office and told him to sharpen his pencil because if he doesn't - we lose parts AND labor. He did and often.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago when I worked for an LTL trucking company, we had a regular stop to deliver parts to the local Chevy dealer. Box after box would be labeled JC Whitney. I bet they didn't charge JCW's prices, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i do most of my own work. If lift intensive i go to my former employer and we do it, i buy my parts through their store. I guess i should say my part time employer, since i still do casual driving for them. And yes sometimes 100% since shops dont pay over the counter retail and often charge suggested retail.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (Anaconda, Amos63, 44automag, 01Foreman400, 808outdoors, 10 invisible), 1,483 guests, and 716 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,095
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.