Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I get LOTS of little bucks that roam through during November. Hardly ever see one more than once. I'm making it a point to not see 2 of them more than once this year.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Scott F

But my thoughts wander to looking at the long term effects of hunting for giant heads. When we pass up spikes, forks, and even modest four points to take a monster head are we not taking the best of the genetic pool and leaving the worst?

I'm not going to say you're wrong, but I will disagree a bit with the logic. The very biggest muley bucks we kill are 6.5-7.5 yrs old. By letting them get to this age, they have already spread their genes around the place for a good 5 years or so. Best of both worlds to me.

I believe the worst mistake we can make, if you're into managing your land, or managing for trophies, is to shoot those impressive looking 2.5-3.5yr old bucks. I will leave those alone for another 2-3 years at least.

Spot on.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Been seeing one unicorn buck around and another cow horned spike. They are for the freezer if they show in November.

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Chit that hurts herds and horns are development, and crappy forest/land management, first and foremost. Second is buck/doe ratios.

I won't deny that dudes shooting the chit out of anything with horns on an overcrowded lease will keep critters from becoming wall hangers, but that's not my concern.

Points well taken. Management or rather bad management does a lot more harm had done more harm than hunters have ever done.

My reservation might also have a lot to do with the health of the herds where I hunt. In Central O R where I passed on the big buck those three years were we when poaching had severly decimated the herds.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Scott, Always find this subject, and comments interesting,and wonder how many of you have anything to do with herd management? or know anything about herd management?How many of you have hands on experience in herd management on large tracts of land? rio7

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Couple of guys posting in this thread would do well to talk less about hunting and maybe actually do some hunting. Passing mature bucks so they can spread their genes and because you "can't eat horns"....GMAFB!

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
OK, Lets kill all the bucks and bulls then see how much better hunting gets. grin

My post was about thoughts on the subject not some sort of mandate everyone must follow. I am not a democrat.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by RIO7
Scott, Always find this subject, and comments interesting,and wonder how many of you have anything to do with herd management? or know anything about herd management?How many of you have hands on experience in herd management on large tracts of land? rio7

I have none, but I'm not a cattleman, just a hunter that isn't interesting in raising livestock to slaughter.

E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Just wondering if your never going to kill a trophy animal why let them grow. The genes are already there or you wouldnt see the big one you are talking about. The genes are in the young bucks as well. Just my opinion and its worth nothing. ED K

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by rem141r
tell it to the pa game commission. i've said that for years. i have shot many spikes that were older deer. but the buzzword of the decade is qdma, and that means shoot all the does and leave the spikes to breed whats left. some counties you shoot 3 to a side, others four. but don't count the brow tine. oh and some counties you have two weeks of buck/doe. others are 1 week buck and 1 week mixed. the friggen biologists and "bone hunter" lobbiests have made deer hunting in PA a total mess on a heck of a lot of public grounds.

I had a feeling someone from PA would show up bellyaching early on in this thread. Unfortunately, I was right.

you and gary alt can both GFY

My diploma is a DD214
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Couple of guys posting in this thread would do well to talk less about hunting and maybe actually do some hunting. Passing mature bucks so they can spread their genes and because you "can't eat horns"....GMAFB!

You must be who Rio is talking about.

There's a right time to take a buck. A right time in his season, and right time in his life.

"Mature" is subjective too... A buck that lives to see 3 1/2 around here is pretty old. Because everyone shoots everything with antlers 'because they can'.

Philosophies get a bit different when you actually start trying to improve things. Would it piss you off if you were following proper management techniques only to have the hunter 1/2 mile from you shoot anything with hair on it?

Some get it. And some don't.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

You must be who Rio is talking about.

There's a right time to take a buck. A right time in his season, and right time in his life.

"Mature" is subjective too... A buck that lives to see 3 1/2 around here is pretty old. Because everyone shoots everything with antlers 'because they can'.

Philosophies get a bit different when you actually start trying to improve things. Would it piss you off if you were following proper management techniques only to have the hunter 1/2 mile from you shoot anything with hair on it?

Some get it. And some don't.

I hear you. Imagine the nerve of a guy killing the deer he wants on HIS property. WTF is this country coming to when people think they can do what they want on THEIR property.

Viva Obama!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Steelhead, there was no mention of cattle management in my comments or of raising deer for slaughter, or for antlers, i am happy you are a hunter, and shooter, i have a some time,tell me all you know about deer, shouldn't take long.rio7

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Steelhead, there was no mention of cattle management in my comments or of raising deer for slaughter, or for antlers, i am happy you are a hunter, and shooter, i have a some time,tell me all you know about deer, shouldn't take long.rio7

I weren't talking about cattle management either, you stupid [bleep].

God put deer on this planet for man to eat. Bucks [bleep] doe. Deer live outdoors and will do what deer do and that's be deer.

Pretty easy really.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I fill the freezer first. I don't shoot spikes. Anything else will do.

After that, I try to take a decent buck, after he has most likely already had the chance to breed.

Sometimes I will take a deer for others to eat....

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I weren't talking about cattle management either, you stupid [bleep].

God put deer on this planet for man to eat. Bucks [bleep] doe. Deer live outdoors and will do what deer do and that's be deer.

Pretty easy really.

Yes, it is pretty easy.

That's why most states, even out west where public hunting abounds have put minimum size restrictions on antlered game. And limited the harvest to one animal.

For people that can't regulate themselves.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I started out as a meat hunter but became more of a trophy hunters for a couple decades, though I always did take some meat deer as well. Now I am once again more of a meat hunter, though won�t pass up a good trophy when one appears.

Also have studied game management both in college, and a lot since then. The �kill all the spikes� theory got big play for a number of years, so much that it�s obviously part of the mind-set of many hunters today. But it was disproven years ago, because spike bucks may just be due to poor nutrition their first year, whether because they were late fawns, their mother was young, or weather in general.

Does carry not only fawns that may turn into a trophy, but carry genes that result in big antlers on bucks as well. So killing does and not bucks doesn�t guarantee anything except that the buck you pass up will live a longer. Whether he ends up as a trophy is a matter of chance, and not just from genetics but nutrition, which varies enormously, especially on public land.

Yeah, we can grow big bucks on private land, just like we can grow huge cattle by selecting for genetics, but if we choose to breed bigger-antlered bucks like cattle (as many do in Texas) we may be selecting against other factors that may be even more important for herd survival.

On a personal research note, the idea that mature �trophy� bucks aren�t good eating is generally BS. Big mule deer can be less tasty when worn down by the rut, but I have eaten several exceptions. I�ve yet to kill a big whitetail during any part of the rut that tasted less than good, and some were great.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I am a trophy hunter. Everything I put on the ground and freezer is a trophy for me. grin

[Linked Image]

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My point being, ask Manlicker when the last time he killed a buck was, any buck, let alone a mature or "trophy" buck. Same with ScottF....

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Well put, John.

Yeah the word is getting around about spikes.

Being selective with does is great too. It's just harder to teach folks about what does to cull, and what ones to keep.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

458 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 160user, 44 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,505
Posts18,472,278
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.