Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LostHighway
These public lands add MULTI BILLIONS to local communities across Colorado.

That pretty much says it all.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
The Chinese aren't going to sell our land back to us.

Who's taken the burden off the Feds?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by ltppowell
These public lands add MULTI BILLIONS to local communities across Colorado.

That pretty much says it all.

That's almost like welfare.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead

...or some of the unions.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

So, we have one guy saying it depresses local economies, and another saying it's a handout. Truth must be in there somewhere.

I'm not going to defend federal land management, but it's not all bad. I've hunted federal land most of my life and I'm not going to apologize for it. Steelhead, I seem to recall hunting pictures of yours from AK, was that public land? Was it welfare? As a matter of fact many of the photos posted here come from public land. It's the only place a lot of people have access to for hunting, especially in the west.

The number one reason people give for not hunting or quitting is "nowhere to hunt." Take away public land and that gets multiplied 10X. Think about what that would do to the numbers of not only hunters but gun owners.

If public land was abolished and hunting was all on private land, the most successful hunters would be the ones who could afford to pay to hunt the best private land. As it is now, the most successful hunters on public land are the best hunters and the ones with the wherewithal to get back into the spots where the animals live to a ripe old age. Everyone has the same opportunity. There's something very democratic (in the true sense of the word) about that, and it'd be a shame to lose it to the almighty dollar.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, doncha wish the gooberment would sell, I mean give away, all the land in the entire country just like Texas did.
Bloody genius it was.

Stop the envious whining

Land grants obtained by virtue of the State Colonization Law were not free, although the price and terms offered by Coahuila and Texas were extremely advantageous when compared with the price for public land in the United States. At a time when the U.S. federal government was selling its land for $1.25 per acre and requiring immediate cash payment, government dues on land in Coahuila and Texas could be had for less than 1 � cents an acre with a term of six years in which to complete payment. In addition to the purchase price, there were charges for surveying the land and fees payable to the commissioner, the empresario, and the clerk who prepared the documents, but even then for a total of about $150 (something like three cents an acre), a head of household could obtain title to 4,428 acres of land.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Why don't the Feds sieze land in the east, just to be fair?
How would you like to have your property "requisitioned" by .gov?
Can I come hunt your property at a cut rate?
Would you subsidize my purchase of a piece of property you'd like to buy?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by TED338
I read it and it was a laundry list of all the negative what-ifs were states to take over the lands.

I agree, the federal government has no business owning land unless it involves their constitutional responsibilities such as military bases.

You can bemoan what might happen if the feds don't own this land for the collective "us" or "we". But the reality is, the federal ownership of land stifles local economies, and allows the feds to control far more than the land that they "own".

I am glad you have enjoyed public land use over the years, but your concerns about "what-if?" are not justification for making those of us who live in the west and whose livelihoods are impacted by the fed government's heavy handed management have to suffer under government's thumb which is typically directed by environmentalists funded by do-gooders from the coast.

Please do not take this as a snide remark, rather as a serious inquiry:

Please explain, in this case as I know there are many others, what the suffering is under a government thumb as it relates to these lands.

I will briefly touch on one particular case.

When the Charles M Russell wildlife refuge was first suggested, as part of the deal, local ranchers who own land there and lesed land were guaranteed to have access to the lake for livestock water. Water was to available for that purpose regardless of whatever else happens. Fast forward now and the USFWS is working hard to exclude livestock from all parts of the refuge. Their mismanagement of the refuge has created a haven for noxious weeds and coyotes that continually hamper local producers.

I could go into great depth how there are oftentimes a fresh college grad put in charge of an allotment or the management of a parcel that has no freakin idea what goes on in the real world who suddenly has power that is often wielded with little to no recourse for us public peasants.

Many federal managers seem to put local concerns and needs far behind those of the enviro-whackos.

DITTOS!

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
But the reality is, the federal ownership of land stifles local economies.....

LOL, I just drove to the top of one of our many Colorado ski resorts this weekend. Drove right up the slopes where skiers from all over the world will be spending millions in a few weeks.

The reason I could drive up those slopes is.......they're all on federal land.

Read some of the posts in the elk hunting section by all of the guys who come out here to hunt public land for the price of a tag and their expendables. They hunt public land and it's their dollars that keep guides, outfitters, hotels, and mom-and-pop grocery stores in business.

And it wouldn't happen without the public land here.

Good for Colorado. I guess it pays to be a Blue State. Doesn't work that way in Montana.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
But the reality is, the federal ownership of land stifles local economies.....

LOL, I just drove to the top of one of our many Colorado ski resorts this weekend. Drove right up the slopes where skiers from all over the world will be spending millions in a few weeks.

The reason I could drive up those slopes is.......they're all on federal land.

Read some of the posts in the elk hunting section by all of the guys who come out here to hunt public land for the price of a tag and their expendables. They hunt public land and it's their dollars that keep guides, outfitters, hotels, and mom-and-pop grocery stores in business.

And it wouldn't happen without the public land here.

I agree. These public lands add MULTI BILLIONS to local communities across Colorado. In addition, if these lands would to become private tomorrow hunters would add a 0 and more to the cost of their tags. Chew on that for a while.

Good for Colorado. I guess it pays to be a Blue State.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

So, we have one guy saying it depresses local economies, and another saying it's a handout. Truth must be in there somewhere.

I'm not going to defend federal land management, but it's not all bad. I've hunted federal land most of my life and I'm not going to apologize for it. Steelhead, I seem to recall hunting pictures of yours from AK, was that public land? Was it welfare? As a matter of fact many of the photos posted here come from public land. It's the only place a lot of people have access to for hunting, especially in the west.

The number one reason people give for not hunting or quitting is "nowhere to hunt." Take away public land and that gets multiplied 10X. Think about what that would do to the numbers of not only hunters but gun owners.

If public land was abolished and hunting was all on private land, the most successful hunters would be the ones who could afford to pay to hunt the best private land. As it is now, the most successful hunters on public land are the best hunters and the ones with the wherewithal to get back into the spots where the animals live to a ripe old age. Everyone has the same opportunity. There's something very democratic (in the true sense of the word) about that, and it'd be a shame to lose it to the almighty dollar.

It must be good to be a Blue State and vote Democrat.

Now here in Montana things are not so good. During big game season access is denied to all but the most robust of the young with a physique of a Navy SEAL or Army Ranger. In some places horses are allowed but not in all places. Forget about using motorized transportation in most areas.

Of course, I'm talking about federal land.

If you need motorized transportation as most of us oldsters do forget about hunting especially on federal land. It's been this way for sometime now. The goal in Montana is to turn all federal land into wilderness areas to deny access to the common man.

In Montana at least I'm in favor of giving the federal land to the state.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, go read Saddlesore's post on the elk hunting forum, the dude is 70. What you need to hunt public land is just a standard set of balls.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by derby_dude

Now here in Montana things are not so good. During big game season access is denied to all but the most robust of the young with a physique of a Navy SEAL or Army Ranger. In some places horses are allowed but not in all places. Forget about using motorized transportation in most areas.

If you need motorized transportation as most of us oldsters do forget about hunting especially on federal land. It's been this way for sometime now. The goal in Montana is to turn all federal land into wilderness areas to deny access to the common man.

Huh? In Arizona, 70% of the Coconino Forest is with in half mile of an open road. (non-wilderness)

Hard to imagine MT is too different, at least in the NF.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mark shubert

this

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mark shubert

I don't understand your post, Mark.

Sycamore

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
LOL, go read Saddlesore's post on the elk hunting forum, the dude is 70. What you need to hunt public land is just a standard set of balls.

It'll take a lot more than that. I'm 67 with back and leg issues. I can walk and get around pretty good in town but not out in the woods not any more.

BTW: Montana is the fourth largest land mass in the US and I think the 10th largest country in the world if we were a country. This is big country to walk around in. To give you an idea of how big either one of Spain, France, or Germany would fit into about half of Montana.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by derby_dude

Huh? In Arizona, 70% of the Coconino Forest is with in half mile of an open road. (non-wilderness)

Hard to imagine MT is too different, at least in the NF.

Sycamore

It's quite a bit different. Just today I read in the paper that the Forest Service is going to close off more logging roads and rehabilitate the forest to eliminate the roads. We keep getting less and less access every year. There is a real move on to close off all public lands to the public except those with horses (even some of those areas are being closed off to horses) and walk in only especially during hunting season.

If you can't walk any where from 5 to 50 miles to hunt or pack out an animal you are persona non grata on Federal lands. My days of doing that are long over.

I don't care what others do in their state but in this state I'd like to see the Federal land turned over to the State. Don't worry it'll never happen.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pardon my ignorance. The Elijah Craig has been good to me, tonight.....grin. This is off the top of my head and I truly haven't given it more than a seconds worth of thought.

Would anyone like to touch upon why people from another state have to pay "out of state" prices for hunting licenses on FEDERAL land? Yet those "in state" pay less to hunt on said FEDERAL land?

Am I wrong in this assumption? I kinda checked it out once, but never actually researched it.

Enlighten me. For I truly haven't a clue, but am interested in hearing the answer......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The hunting licenses are state licenses NOT federal licenses. If you hunt on Montana state land you pay another $10.00 to do so. The feds have thought about doing the same thing but I don't think they figured out a way to do it yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Pardon my ignorance. The Elijah Craig has been good to me, tonight.....grin. This is off the top of my head and I truly haven't given it more than a seconds worth of thought.

Would anyone like to touch upon why people from another state have to pay "out of state" prices for hunting licenses on FEDERAL land? Yet those "in state" pay less to hunt on said FEDERAL land?

Am I wrong in this assumption? I kinda checked it out once, but never actually researched it.

Enlighten me. For I truly haven't a clue, but am interested in hearing the answer......

The answer is.....

you don't pay any thing different than the state residents for the hunting (walking, riding, driving) or using the land.

The permit is a STATE permit, and the Game is owned "by the people of the State". So the PERMIT and the HUNTING LICENSE from the state are what costs different.

Sycamore

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

202 members (308xray, 300_savage, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 34 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,253
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.