Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by dassa
The same way Peter did.

Matthew 16:13-17

If you read carefully these passages are not about how individuals can know God, but establishing the providence of the Catholic Church, all the Popes who follow Peter, and Rome as the center of the Orthodoxy. The lead in actually speaks to the confusion to whom Jesus may, or may not have been, in the minds of the people at that time.

Not exactly a ringing enforcement of how a Protestant can "know Jesus".

I missed this earlier.

The passage I cited says nothing about Catholics, popes, or Rome. It says that a knowledge of Christ's divinity comes from revelation, not from man.

The verses following those I cited have been used by some Catholics I've spoken to, to establish that the church would be built on Peter. I however, believe that the "rock" Jesus refers to is revelation, or receiving a knowledge of Christ from "my Father which is in heaven."

Yes! The English translation butchers this scripture. The word translated rock that Jesus called Simon Peter was the Greek word Petra....meaning piece of rock or little rock. The rock on what the church would be built was Petros meaning a GIGANTIC rock. What was the gigantic rock? Knowledge that Jesus is the Christ the Son of the living God which comes by revelation! This same man, Peter, later would write calling followers of Christ "living stones built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood"....(1 Peter 2:5).

It works the same today as it did for Peter. Anyone who gets a revelation of Jesus Christ as the Son of the living God at a deep level becomes solid.....a living stone that the gates of hell will not prevail over.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by JoeBob
The Bible is the word of God. All experience, evidence, and whatever else that contradicts it, must be rejected. That isn't to say that all contradictory experience or evidence is wrong, that is merely to say that when it appears to contradict the Bible, then our understanding of either it or the Bible is in error. But for there to be any Faith at all, it must be grounded on the Bible and the message of The Cross found in it.

I think it is possible for a person to believe that there are errors in the Bible and still posses The Faith, but it is very dangerous. Who can say where to believe and where to question if one brings in the issue of doubt? Why believe any of it if some of it is wrong? And that said, the Bible is not a book that can be believed by intellectual capacity alone. The Holy Spirit must convict one of the truth of it before one can accept it.

"The Bible is the word of God. All experience, evidence, and whatever else that contradicts it, must be rejected. "

So how far do you take this?
How old is the earth?
World wide flood?

"the Bible is not a book that can be believed by intellectual capacity alone."

So, the Bible contradicts reason, but you must throw out everything that contradicts the Bible?

How old is the earth? Does the Bible say? As far as I know it does not. Now, some people have counted the generations since Adam and come up with a figure, but it doesn't say how old the earth is. It could be that generations were skipped. That wasn't uncommon in the old genealogies. There could be lots of things. But because the Bible doesn't say specifically, I see no reason to be dogmatic on the issue.

As for The Flood, well the Bible says that there was a worldwide flood, so I'll believe it.

So how many generations do you believe were skipped?
A few dozen, a few hundred, a few thousand?

Did God create Adam and even as the first people, or is the story allegory?

And what point when you are deciding what is literal and what is allegory are you just picking the parts you like, and re-categorizing the rest?

Doesn't this very exercise involve the use of your reason, the reason you reject, but the same reason required to develop your interpretation of the Bible?

As for you bearing any resemblance to a dog riding in a car, I find your metaphor unconvincing. You are a thinking being, capable is contemplating his own existence and what may, or may not happen after words, where the dog can only enjoy the breeze upon his face as he hangs his head out the window.

IMO the real reason you choose not to use too much of your reason is you are afraid of where it may lead.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
RickyD,

A Protestant, and any Christian, "knows" God, through the Bible and, more importantly, through the leading of the Holy Spirit. A non-Christian only has the Bible for any knowledge of God, which by design is insufficient for a complete understanding.

Fantastic sentence[/b]! Just fantastic[b]!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
curdog4570,

He's not, and that book can't convince ANYONE that He is alive.

Should we believe the above or a quote from the Bible: "The Law of the Lord is Perfect converting the soul."

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
antelope_sniper,

So, the Bible contradicts reason, but you must throw out everything that contradicts the Bible?

The Bible is like the laws of logic. You have to believe in them in order to prove they exist.

Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
", "Because the book says so."

That's YOUR line, not mine.

Ever watch a Billy Graham Crusade? Billy focused on Jesus, not a book.

If Jesus is dead, the book would be a lot more important.

He's not, and that book can't convince ANYONE that He is alive.

The Holy Spirit does that.

If your faith is grounded in a book, it might as well be resting on the authenticity of the shroud.

Faith that comes from a personal experience with Jesus is the only kind that will never fail.

How do you even know THERE IS a Holy Spirit without the book? How do you even know Jesus existed or exists yet still today without the book?

A couple posts ago, I said this:

"There is a hell of a jump from believing in the Jesus of the bible and believing EVERYTHING in the bible."

If you can't pay attention, I'm done with you.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The Bible is the word of God. All experience, evidence, and whatever else that contradicts it, must be rejected. That isn't to say that all contradictory experience or evidence is wrong, that is merely to say that when it appears to contradict the Bible, then our understanding of either it or the Bible is in error. But for there to be any Faith at all, it must be grounded on the Bible and the message of The Cross found in it.

I think it is possible for a person to believe that there are errors in the Bible and still posses The Faith, but it is very dangerous. Who can say where to believe and where to question if one brings in the issue of doubt? Why believe any of it if some of it is wrong? And that said, the Bible is not a book that can be believed by intellectual capacity alone. The Holy Spirit must convict one of the truth of it before one can accept it.

"The Bible is the word of God. All experience, evidence, and whatever else that contradicts it, must be rejected. "

So how far do you take this?
How old is the earth?
World wide flood?

How old is the earth? Does the Bible say? As far as I know it does not. Now, some people have counted the generations since Adam and come up with a figure, but it doesn't say how old the earth is. It could be that generations were skipped. That wasn't uncommon in the old genealogies. There could be lots of things. But because the Bible doesn't say specifically, I see no reason to be dogmatic on the issue.

As for The Flood, well the Bible says that there was a worldwide flood, so I'll believe it.

And what point when you are deciding what is literal and what is allegory are you just picking the parts you like, and re-categorizing the rest?

Doesn't this very exercise involve the use of your reason, the reason you reject, but the same reason required to develop your interpretation of the Bible?

As for you bearing any resemblance to a dog riding in a car, I find your metaphor unconvincing. You are a thinking being, capable is contemplating his own existence and what may, or may not happen after words, where the dog can only enjoy the breeze upon his face as he hangs his head out the window.

IMO the real reason you choose not to use too much of your reason is you are afraid of where it may lead.

Oh, I can my own opinions about things based on my reason and understanding, I just don't see a reason to be dogmatic about something that ISN'T specifically stated. Why be dogmatic about what is admittedly nothing more than an opinion...an interpretation?

As for my reason, as Paul said we see through a glass...dimly. What we understand, we may not because we in are current states are unable to do so.

And reason and evidence and all that, it really is puny in the face of God. God makes the rules we don't. And he doesn't consult us or ask our permission.

You know there was a recent study by some German outfit in the last few years where they concluded that there was something like an 80 percent possibility that reality was a computer simulation. It was based on some research that I don't even understand that there is no randomness in reality and so on and so forth. It was really cutting edge stuff. They hypothesized that everything we know might simply be someone's computer game or whatever.

Think of that. That is a pretty good allegory for God and it might be exactly what creation is with instead of a program designer, God. Does not the designer control the rules? Does he not do as he wishes? Is a simulated world created piece by piece, or is it usually created complete with a backstory? Are the things in the world real or merely the creations of the designer? Is the designer bound by the same rules as the players, or can he do things that seem miraculous by the rules of the simulation? And so on and so forth.

The point is, we don't know. The best we can do is use the tools we are given, but like the gamer in the simulation, we simply might not have the tools or the ability to understand everything within the simulation.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
antelope_sniper,

TF, very good write up.

As you mentioned, according to modern Biblical Scholars, Peter and Paul did not see eye to eye on several issues. Much of Corinthians was also a rebuke of Peters philosophies.

Documentation from any place in Corinthians, please.

Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Ringman
RickyD,

A Protestant, and any Christian, "knows" God, through the Bible and, more importantly, through the leading of the Holy Spirit. A non-Christian only has the Bible for any knowledge of God, which by design is insufficient for a complete understanding.

Fantastic sentence[/b]! Just fantastic[b]!

Yes....

TF

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
antelope_sniper,

Good response.

Everyday Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TF, very good write up.

As you mentioned, according to modern Biblical Scholars, Peter and Paul did not see eye to eye on several issues. Much of Corinthians was also a rebuke of Peters philosophies.

No one should read that without knowing what the differences were in the way Peter and Paul were viewing Christianity. Peter wanted gentile converts to be circumcised. Peter wanted gentile converts to refrain from eating meat offered to idols. These and other differences revolved around one thing. Peter was stuck on the idea that gentiles needed to become Jews in order to be Christians. Paul insisted that salvation did not come through the work of keeping the Jewish law, but was through God's free and undeserved grace, whether Jew or gentile, slave or free, male or female. If Peter's view had prevailed, it would have destroyed Christianity in its infancy, turning it into a Jewish sect by judaizing all gentile converts.

What people need to know is that Peter and Paul worked through their differences until Peter saw Paul was right, even to the point where he viewed Paul's writings as Scripture -- a very big deal if you think about it. See 2 Peter 3:14-16 where he closes out his letter with these words:

14 Therefore, beloved, since you are waiting for these, be diligent to be found by him without spot or blemish, and at peace. 15 And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, 16 as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.

In saying some of the things Paul wrote "are hard to understand," he is saying what we still say today. But in going on to say, "the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures," he is both warning against heretical views that disagree with Paul AND he is identifying Paul's writing as Scripture.

Lots of people dwell in the Petrine/Pauline debate, but you have to read to the end to see it was resolved in Peter's mind. I don't know how it can be any clearer that Peter and Paul ended up in agreement.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I just don't see a reason to be dogmatic about something that ISN'T specifically stated.

So you are dogmatic about those things that are stated?

Does your dogma include Adam and Eve, and does that mean humans did not evolve?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I just don't see a reason to be dogmatic about something that ISN'T specifically stated.

So you are dogmatic about those things that are stated?

Does your dogma include Adam and Eve, and does that mean humans did not evolve?

I believe what the Bible says and no, humans did not evolve.

I am just a player in a simulation game. I am incapable of understanding reality because I cannot place myself out of the simulation. And everything I think I know about the simulation is subject to the whims of the designer.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
No one should read that without knowing what the differences were in the way Peter and Paul were viewing Christianity. Peter wanted gentile converts to be circumcised. Peter wanted gentile converts to refrain from eating meat offered to idols. These and other differences revolved around one thing. Peter was stuck on the idea that gentiles needed to become Jews in order to be Christians. Paul insisted that salvation did not come through the work of keeping the Jewish law, but was through God's free and undeserved grace, whether Jew or gentile, slave or free, male or female. If Peter's view had prevailed, it would have destroyed Christianity in its infancy, turning it into a Jewish sect by judaizing all gentile converts.

Everything you said that I quoted above, is precisely correct. Where you went astray was quoting Second Peter which modern textual critics accept as Forged, and written 20 to 90 years after Peters death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Why would you believe anything some mystical spirit might or might not tell you if you didn't have some authority, like the Bible, to tell you it could happen? "

There is a hell of a jump from believing in the Jesus of the bible and believing EVERYTHING in the bible.

Do you think Jesus requires the Pygmy to call him by the same name we know Him by before He will help him?

You and Ringman believe in an awfully small Jesus.

Curdog, I can appreciate that you do not believe all of the Bible. About what percentage of it would you say you believe?

I've never thought of it in percentages. Actually, I don't approach it as a question of belief as much as a question of "importance".

I read the obvious myths in the O.T. as myths that point to an actuality beyond human conception. The whole "Creation Myth", for example, tells me that God/Jesus "thought the Universe into existence". When and why are not important. I can see it.

The idea that the Power that created the universe is interested in having a relationship with me, one of His critters, is the heart of the message Jesus, in His humanity, brought to the world. Everything else pales in comparison to that idea.

Once that relationship was established, fine theological points I once thought so important, evaporated. As far as questioning the accuracy of the Bible...............

Until you meet the Risen Jesus, no answers will suffice. Once you meet Him, no questions remain.

Like He told Peter;"What is that to you.... follow thou me."

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ringman
antelope_sniper,

The Bible is like the laws of logic. You have to believe in them in order to prove they exist.

Ringman, it's easy for me to prove the Bible exists. I have the KJ, NIV, and Amplified on my shelf. I can pick them up, turn the page, hear the crinkle of pages, and smell the fine paper.

As for the laws of logic, I do not have to believe in them to prove they exist. I use them because they work. It wouldn't matter if I believed in the rules of logic if they did not work.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Perfectly said.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The idea that the Power that created the universe is interested in having a relationship with me, one of His critters, is the heart of the message Jesus, in His humanity, brought to the world. Everything else pales in comparison to that idea.
Once that relationship was established, fine theological points I once thought so important, evaporated. As far as questioning the accuracy of the Bible...............
Until you meet the Risen Jesus, no answers will suffice. Once you meet Him, no questions remain.

THAT is some of the best stuff that I've seen posted anywhere...ever. Well said Gene.

When you're 7 years old it's OK to believe that Noah's Ark was filled with reproducing pairs of all of the animals on earth. It's also OK to realize the physical impossibility of 'that' when you become an adult, and change your mind about it...but you can 'still' continue to have faith in that story because the 'real' knowledge of Noah's Ark isn't found in the logistics of it or the zoological arrangements of it. The 'real' knowledge of it is the message that, even in the midst of a storm, God cares for and watches over His creation.

These are the kinds of truths that are conveyed in the Bible that are sometimes missed by people.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
"Why would you believe anything some mystical spirit might or might not tell you if you didn't have some authority, like the Bible, to tell you it could happen? "

There is a hell of a jump from believing in the Jesus of the bible and believing EVERYTHING in the bible.

Do you think Jesus requires the Pygmy to call him by the same name we know Him by before He will help him?

You and Ringman believe in an awfully small Jesus.

Curdog, I can appreciate that you do not believe all of the Bible. About what percentage of it would you say you believe?

I've never thought of it in percentages. Actually, I don't approach it as a question of belief as much as a question of "importance".

I read the obvious myths in the O.T. as myths that point to an actuality beyond human conception. The whole "Creation Myth", for example, tells me that God/Jesus "thought the Universe into existence". When and why are not important. I can see it.

Curdog, I appreciate your response.

I find it interesting to take the nuanced understandings such as your and TF49's and juxtapose them with my friend Ringman and JoeBob, and tonight you gentlemen were kind enough to oblige. We have a nice spectrum, RM, the true literalist, JoeBob the "mostly" literalist, RYH who did a nice decomposition of the Greek, and EDH with his fine explanation of early Church debates. It's interesting to notice that those who appear to have the deepest understanding of what's behind, and what went into the text place the least emphasis on their literal truth, and much greater emphasis on their perception of the Spiritual Truth.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"This is the obvious meaning of the passage; and had it not been that the Church of Rome has abused it, and applied it to what was never intended, no other interpretation would have been sought for".

Taking the whole passage in context, I sort of think that the Father's ability to "bless" Peter with the revelation of Jesus as the Christ is what the Church is founded on. That "ability" fits quite a few other passages of scripture as well.

And Jesus, "a priest forever, after the order of Melchizedek", would replace all the priests, and deal with His critters directly.

It sure didn't take long for the "middlemen" to make an appearance, though. grin

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,397
Posts18,488,893
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.